Television JUPITER'S LEGACY on Netflix (Cancelled After One Season)

If you have seen the entire season of JUPITER'S LEGACY, how would you rate the season one?

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: April 7, 2021

First Trailer for Mark Millar's JUPITER LEGACY; Premiering May 7, 2021 on Netflix

No legacy lives forever. The first generation of superheroes have kept the world safe for nearly a century. Now their children must continue their legendary ideals. From the mind of Mark Millar, Jupiter’s Legacy is streaming only on Netflix May 7th, 2021.

Update: April 8, 2015

Mark Millar's JUPITER'S LEGACY Headed to the Big Screen

Jupiters-Legacy-040815-Dragonlord.jpg

Jupiter’s Legacy, the superhero opus from Mark Millar, has fallen for the siren song of Hollywood.

Millar is the comic writer with a penchant for setting up his titles at studios — Kingsman: The Secret Service is his latest success, with $370 million worldwide — but he deliberately held back Legacy, which is co-created and drawn by Frank Quitely, and considered one of the author’s jewels. Until now.

Millar has partnered with Lorenzo di Bonaventura, whose recent credits include the Transformers and G.I. Joe movies, to bring the comic to the big-screen. Meetings are underway with writers to adapt the material. Di Bonaventura is already developing an adaptation of Millar’s comic MPH.

Legacy takes a multigenerational approach to tell a story of the offspring of superheroes who haven’t lived up to the standards of their parents, who first got their powers in the '20s after the discovery of a mysterious island.

Mark Millar Partners with Lorenzo di Bonaventura for 'Jupiter's Legacy' Adaptation (Exclusive)

Update: June 1, 2016

Brian and Mark Gunn Writing JUPITER'S LEGACY Movie

Jupiters-Legacy-060116-Dragonlord.jpg

Screenwriters Brian and Mark Gunn are officially writing a film adaptation of the hit comic book series Jupiter's Legacy from writer Mark Millar and artist Frank Quitely.

It was announced last year that Millar and producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura had partnered to develop an adaptation of the story, but no updates had been released until today. The Gunns met with Millar yesterday and are currently hard at work on the screenplay.

Jupiter's Legacy is the story of a world filled with superheroes where the next generation decides to overthrow the status quo seizing control of the United States by force in an ill-advised attempt to improve the world around them. The comic series reflects both on the superhero genre and the nature of hope in the face of overwhelming problems, as well as the changing perspective between generations.

The Gunns are best know for previously collaborating on the story and screenplay for Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. They are also related to director James Gunn best known for his work on the comics adaptation Guardians of the Galaxy.

Screenwriters Brian and Mark Gunn Writing Film Adaptation of Mark Millar's Hit Comic Mini Series 'Jupiter's Legacy'

Is it a good read ? Because from the outside looking in it kinda sounds like douchebags get superpowers and try to overpower a government they wouldn't know how to run

Whew! I thought this was a sequel to Jupiter Ascending. Boy was I glad it wasn't

Update: September 26, 2016

Mark Millar's JUPITER'S LEGACY Might Be Heading to Television

Jupiters-Legacy-092616-Dragonlord.jpg

In an interview with THR, producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura reveals that he is working on adapting the Mark Milar and Frank Quitely created Jupiter's Legacy comic to either film or television.

"I have a project with Mark Millar, who wrote [the comic that became] Kingsman: The Secret Service, that is a superhero project: Jupiter's Legacy. What attracted me to it was it's not repeating what everybody else has done. It's not yet set up at a studio. Its universe is so expansive that it's, in some ways, more conducive to a television treatment. I'm doing it either way."

As Bonaventura mentioned, the project isn't placed at a studio at this time, but it seems a better fit for TV. Jupiter's Legacy has been a hit for Image Comics and revolves around the children of the greatest superheroes in the world. Even the families of superheroes suffer from infighting and dysfunction, but when you have the powers of God's, it can be hard to settle things in the correct way, and that infighting quickly spills out into the public eye.

Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura Says Mark Millar's Jupiter's Legacy May Be Headed For Television

Update: July 27, 2018

Mark Millar's JUPITER LEGACY and AMERICAN JESUS TV Series and EMPRESS and HUCK Movies in the Works at Netflix

millarworld_jupiters_legacy_and_empress_split.jpg

Nearly a year after snapping up Mark Millar's comic book imprint, the Kingsman and Kick-Ass author has set his first slate at Netflix.

The streamer has gone straight to series on two TV shows based on Millar's works — Jupiter's Legacy and American Jesus. On the feature side, Netflix announced Empress and Huck — both based on Millar titles — as well as Sharkey the Bounty Hunter, which will be published as a Millarworld/Netflix comic next year.

"My wife Lucy and I are 11 months into our jobs at Netflix and it’s everything we hoped for to the power of 10," Millar said in a statement.

All told, the five projects are the first slate in what sources estimate is a deal worth between $30 million and $50 million.

Jupiter's Legacy, which will span eight episodes, hails from Steven S. DeKnight (who launched Netflix's first Marvel drama, Daredevil) will serve as showrunner after recently inking an overall deal with the streamer. Lorenzo diBonaventura and Dan McDermott exec produce, with DeKnight directing the first episode. The drama is based on Millar's ongoing comic of the same name, which was first published in 2013. The series is a multigenerational drama that follows the world's first generation of superheroes, who received their powers in the 1930s. In the present day, they're they revered elder guard, but their super-powered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents. Jupiter's Legacy is considered the crown jewel of Millar's Millarworld banner as the title, about the world's first superheroes, could lend itself to become its own suite of series akin to Netflix's Marvel TV universe.

American Jesus, set for six episodes, is a multilingual series in Spanish and English. Everardo Gout (Netflix's Marvel drama Luke Cage) and his brother, Leopoldo Gout (Molly's Game, Instinct) will serve as co-showrunners and exec producers, with the former directing. The series follows a 12-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he has returned as Jesus Christ and can turn water into wine and perhaps even raise the dead. The drama explores how he will deal with the destiny to lead the world in a conflict thousands of years in the making. The series is based on the comic, initially published as Chosen in 2004, and retitled American Jesus for its trade paperback collection.

On the film side, Ted Melfi, who directed and co-wrote the Oscar-nominated hit, Hidden Figures, is adapting Huck, Millar's 2016 riff on Superman featuring a small-town man who secretly does good deeds with his super-powers. Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe are set to produce.

Lindsey Beer, a rising geek writer who has worked up Chaos Walking and Godzilla vs Kong, has been tapped to pen Empress, about the wife of a galactic dictator who dares to escape her husband with her children in tow. An interplanetary chase ensues. Joe Roth and Jeff Kirschenbaum (Maleficent) are producing.

Rounding out the list is Sharkey the Bounty Hunter, which is set in a new sci-fi universe and revolves around a blue-collar bounty hunter who tracks criminals across his galaxy in his converted, rocket-powered ice cream truck. Aided by his 10-year-old partner, he's out for the biggest bounty of his career. Michael Bacall (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, 21 Jump Street) will pen the screenplay. As opposed to the other titles being adapted, Sharkey is not yet a published Millar property. It will be published as a Netflix/Millarworld comic next year.

"To see a movie based on your work every couple of years is incredibly exciting, but to see them all happening at once like this and with talent this high-end is just off the scale," Millar said. "These are writers and directors I’ve privately been sending fan-mail to over the last 18 months so to be working with them all is just enormously exciting. This really is the greatest creative environment I’ve ever worked in. I can’t wait to switch on my computer every morning."

Since inking the rich Netflix deal, Millar has already launched his first comic title for Netflix, The Magic Order. He plans to create 20 comic book titles as part of the multiple-year pact, with new series appearing regularly alongside existing properties.

'Jupiter's Legacy,' 'American Jesus,' 'Empress' and 'Huck Among Mark Millar's First Netflix Slate

Update: February 9, 2019

JUPITER'S LEGACY Main Cast Announced Including Josh Duhamel and Leslie Bibb

8eBtkBL.jpg

Mark Millar‘s multi-generational superhero epic Jupiter’s Legacy is one of the biggest series in development at Netflix, and we’re starting to get word regarding the cast. Multiple sources tell Collider that Josh Duhamel and Leslie Bibb will play the two married leads, with Andrew Horton and Elena Kampouris playing their children, and Ben Daniels and Matt Lanter playing Duhamel’s brother and best friend, respectively.

Jupiter’s Legacy follows the world’s first generation of superheroes, who received their powers in the 1930s. In present day they are the revered elder guard, but their super-powered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents.

Duhamel will play Sheldon Sampson, aka The Utopian. He’s an amazingly powerful superhero who’s also the longtime leader of the Union of Justice. Bibb will play his wife, Grace Sampson, aka Lady Liberty. She’s a powerful goddess who fights evil alongside her husband, but is concerned about the growing rift between him and their two children. Kampouris will play Chloe, their super-powered daughter who is also a hard-partying professional model, while Horton will play Brandon Sampson, aka Paragon, a budding young superhero who idolizes his father but struggles to live up to his greatness.

Meanwhile, Daniels will play Walter Sampson, aka Brainwave, a loner who can create psychic illusions that serve him well in combat. He’s a doting uncle to Chloe and Brandon, but he has a strained relationship with his headstrong brother. Finally, Lanter will play George Hutchence, aka Skyfox, who is Sheldon’s best friend and a fellow founding member of the Union of Justice.

Steven S. DeKnight (Daredevil) is writing and directing the first episode of Jupiter’s Legacy. He’ll also serve as showrunner and executive produce alongside Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, Dan McDermott and Millar, the comic book icon who previously created the Kingsman and Kick-Ass franchises. Netflix acquired Millar’s company Millarworld last summer and had ambitious plans for their partnership, announcing five series right off the bat.

Duhamel recently starred in Love, Simon, Transformers: The Last Knight and the Biggie-Tupacseries Unsolved. Bibb recently starred in the New Line comedy Tag and the TV series American Housewife.

Horton is an up-and-comer who recently shared the screen with Elle Fanning in How to Talk to Girls at Parties. Kampouris has already worked with Jason Reitman twice and co-starred in My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 as well as Ry Russo-Young‘s Before I Fall. She’ll soon be seen in the indie movie Shoplifters of the World with Helena Howard, Ellar Coltrane and Joe Manganiello.

Daniels played Father Keane on The Exorcist TV series and General Merrick in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. He’ll soon be seen in Rupert Wyatt‘s Captive State and on the third season of Netflix’s acclaimed series The Crown. Lanter is best known as the voice of Anakin Skywalker and he recently appeared in Pitch Perfect 3.

http://collider.com/jupiters-legacy...utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social

8eBtkBL.jpg

Mark Millar‘s multi-generational superhero epic Jupiter’s Legacy is one of the biggest series in development at Netflix, and we’re starting to get word regarding the cast. Multiple sources tell Collider that Josh Duhamel and Leslie Bibb will play the two married leads, with Andrew Horton and Elena Kampouris playing their children, and Ben Daniels and Matt Lanter playing Duhamel’s brother and best friend, respectively.

Jupiter’s Legacy follows the world’s first generation of superheroes, who received their powers in the 1930s. In present day they are the revered elder guard, but their super-powered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents.

Duhamel will play Sheldon Sampson, aka The Utopian. He’s an amazingly powerful superhero who’s also the longtime leader of the Union of Justice. Bibb will play his wife, Grace Sampson, aka Lady Liberty. She’s a powerful goddess who fights evil alongside her husband, but is concerned about the growing rift between him and their two children. Kampouris will play Chloe, their super-powered daughter who is also a hard-partying professional model, while Horton will play Brandon Sampson, aka Paragon, a budding young superhero who idolizes his father but struggles to live up to his greatness.

Meanwhile, Daniels will play Walter Sampson, aka Brainwave, a loner who can create psychic illusions that serve him well in combat. He’s a doting uncle to Chloe and Brandon, but he has a strained relationship with his headstrong brother. Finally, Lanter will play George Hutchence, aka Skyfox, who is Sheldon’s best friend and a fellow founding member of the Union of Justice.

Steven S. DeKnight (Daredevil) is writing and directing the first episode of Jupiter’s Legacy. He’ll also serve as showrunner and executive produce alongside Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, Dan McDermott and Millar, the comic book icon who previously created the Kingsman and Kick-Ass franchises. Netflix acquired Millar’s company Millarworld last summer and had ambitious plans for their partnership, announcing five series right off the bat.

Duhamel recently starred in Love, Simon, Transformers: The Last Knight and the Biggie-Tupacseries Unsolved. Bibb recently starred in the New Line comedy Tag and the TV series American Housewife.

Horton is an up-and-comer who recently shared the screen with Elle Fanning in How to Talk to Girls at Parties. Kampouris has already worked with Jason Reitman twice and co-starred in My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 as well as Ry Russo-Young‘s Before I Fall. She’ll soon be seen in the indie movie Shoplifters of the World with Helena Howard, Ellar Coltrane and Joe Manganiello.

Daniels played Father Keane on The Exorcist TV series and General Merrick in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. He’ll soon be seen in Rupert Wyatt‘s Captive State and on the third season of Netflix’s acclaimed series The Crown. Lanter is best known as the voice of Anakin Skywalker and he recently appeared in Pitch Perfect 3.

http://collider.com/jupiters-legacy...utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social

When was the last issue of JL? Miller's worse at finishing his work than GRRM.

It sounds like a CW show on paper....but...dude that did Daredevil is the showrunner..sooo I'm down to see where it goes

It wasn't an ongoing series, it ended at least a year ago.

I read the first three issues, which came out at relatively normal intervals. After that, the gaps between the issues got longer and longer. I eventually gave up.

Did he ever finish the series about the war between Iran and America, in which soldiers were given pills that granted them super powers?

8eBtkBL.jpg

No diversity!??

1442780330430.gif

Damn. I forgot that I had started reading this and dropped out along the way. I’m not sure if that makes me excited or disappointed that it’s getting a show. I have almost zero memories of this comic outside of the first issue.

Edit: My dude from Timeless is in this. Guess I’m onboard.

I enjoyed this comic. I hope they don't butcher it.

Update: February 23, 2021

First Teaser Trailer for JUPITER'S LEGACY; Premieres May 7, 2021 on Netflix

Can you live up to the legacy of the world’s first generation of superheroes? From Mark Millar, the mind behind KICK-ASS and Kingsman, comes Jupiter’s Legacy, streaming only on Netflix on May 7, 2021.

Back