PlayStation Bloodborne Megathread, v.4

Fd9yneyXEAIUGs2

Actually doing another playthrough of this. My PS5 crapped out and when I got it back all my saved data was gone. This was the first game I wanted to play again.
Got all 4 umbilical chords this time and I'm going to cloud save I'm case I don't get the secret final boss this time. I'm also going to do the chalice dungeons this time. I think this is my favorite of the souls games. The combat is just so good and I love the quick step and trick weapons.

I came back to this masterpiece today after not playing the game for at least 4 years, so with Elden Ring fresh in my mind, i decided to see whether it's simply great memories that made this my favorite game or whether it still holds up in 2022...and then i awoke in Yharnam and it took 10 minutes roaming around to remind me why i love it so much.

The design and atmosphere of Yharnam is my favorite setting/area in a video game. The level design, the architecture, the mood of the city, i never felt anything similar in Elden Ring. No area mesmerized me like Yharnam did the first time i played the game, and still does even now almost 8 years later.

The combat design is my absolute favorite, even though i consider Sekiro's to be flawless. The speed, the fact that the character reacts on input rather than on releasing the input like DS3/Elden Ring, the rally mechanic, the dodge and the trick weapons...i fought the two hunters going right from Amelia's fight and it was pure delight how fast you're able to dodge and counter.

Now, to be fair, there are a couple of systems that Elden Ring improved upon. The inability to fast travel even through the lantern is jarring. You have to go to the hunter's nightmare to travel to a different location. Compared with Elden Ring's system where you can travel at any Site of Grace from anywhere on the map, it seems archaic and frankly bad.

Even so, i played for a couple of hours, roaming through Yharnam, Old Yharnam and the woods and this is still my all time favorite game. Bloodborne 2 remains my greatest gaming wish. If any game deserves a sequel, it's this one.

I came back to this masterpiece today after not playing the game for at least 4 years, so with Elden Ring fresh in my mind, i decided to see whether it's simply great memories that made this my favorite game or whether it still holds up in 2022...and then i awoke in Yharnam and it took 10 minutes roaming around to remind me why i love it so much.

The design and atmosphere of Yharnam is my favorite setting/area in a video game. The level design, the architecture, the mood of the city, i never felt anything similar in Elden Ring. No area mesmerized me like Yharnam did the first time i played the game, and still does even now almost 8 years later.

The combat design is my absolute favorite, even though i consider Sekiro's to be flawless. The speed, the fact that the character reacts on input rather than on releasing the input like DS3/Elden Ring, the rally mechanic, the dodge and the trick weapons...i fought the two hunters going right from Amelia's fight and it was pure delight how fast you're able to dodge and counter.

Now, to be fair, there are a couple of systems that Elden Ring improved upon. The inability to fast travel even through the lantern is jarring. You have to go to the hunter's nightmare to travel to a different location. Compared with Elden Ring's system where you can travel at any Site of Grace from anywhere on the map, it seems archaic and frankly bad.

Even so, i played for a couple of hours, roaming through Yharnam, Old Yharnam and the woods and this is still my all time favorite game. Bloodborne 2 remains my greatest gaming wish. If any game deserves a sequel, it's this one.
Nice. I agree with everything you said. I did a full playthrough with chalices and everything right before ER came out and it's still so much fun. A cross between BB and Sekiro's combat would be amazing.

It's a shame Sony owns the IP because they seem to be holding it hostage like with Demon Souls. Everyone wants a sequel or remaster or even just a 60fps patch but Sony obviously has their own agenda and timetable so we're forced to wait and hope we get something before the next console generation. See you at the next State of Play!

I don't understand what people find flawless about Sekiros combat. Maybe I need to revisit the game

I don't understand what people find flawless about Sekiros combat. Maybe I need to revisit the game
It's the speed and rhythm to the swordplay that makes it so addictive once you get the hang of it. Until then it's frustrating because you're trying to force the action and play it like other Souls games but you can't because it's different.

Instead of killing enemies by depleting their health bar, focus on filling their posture bar for the easy riposte/deathblow instead.

Last edited:
It's the speed and rhythm to the swordplay that makes it so addictive once you get the hang on it. Until then it's frustrating because you're trying to force the action and play it like other Souls games but you can't because it's different.

Instead of killing enemies by depleting their health bar, focus on filling their posture bar for the easy riposte/deathblow instead.
Yeah, i love Sekiro because it's the only From game that encourages staying in the face of the bosses, instead of maintaining distance, or strafing to the left, or trying to get behind them. For example, if you try to be aggressive against Malenia, she will do the Waterfowl dance and you're helpless in close quarters, either you die or she heals half her health bar. Instead, you wait and bait.

In Sekiro, you don't give the bosses a chance to breathe, you can attack aggressively and your defense does just as much damage as your offense. You can basically fight a boss without ever taking a step back.

It's too bad that the lack of different builds and the lack of DLC's completely crippled the game's longevity. It was a hit when it came out, and it kind of fizzled out unlike Bloodborne, DS3 and now Elden Ring. It's really unfortunate that the game didn't get a DLC.

Yeah, i love Sekiro because it's the only From game that encourages staying in the face of the bosses, instead of maintaining distance, or strafing to the left, or trying to get behind them. For example, if you try to be aggressive against Malenia, she will do the Waterfowl dance and you're helpless in close quarters, either you die or she heals half her health bar. Instead, you wait and bait.

In Sekiro, you don't give the bosses a chance to breathe, you can attack aggressively and your defense does just as much damage as your offense. You can basically fight a boss without ever taking a step back.

It's too bad that the lack of different builds and the lack of DLC's completely crippled the game's longevity. It was a hit when it came out, and it kind of fizzled out unlike Bloodborne, DS3 and now Elden Ring. It's really unfortunate that the game didn't get a DLC.
Exactly. It's terrifying standing in front of enemies at first because it's such a departure from all their other games but it's so much more intense and satisfying than kiting around looking for openings.

Yeah Sekiro's combat is awesome but it only works with a katana unfortunately so there's only so much replay value. I would love to see them develop a hybrid system that allows for deflecting with other weapons somehow if that's even possible. It's one of the best innovations for melee combat in a long time.

Just finished a NG+7 playthrough with the Beast Claw. Hot damn, that was like playing a different game entirely considering how short the reach is, how much damage you do, and how vulnerable you are once you build the meter. The beast-like bosses: Cleric, Amelia, Rom, Blood-Starved, Ebrietas, One Reborn, Mergo were absolute cake walk, you can wail on them, build the beast meter and they die quickly.

On the other hand i died to Amygdala more than all the other bosses combined because once she tears her arms off, i couldn't reach her except hitting the arms if she misses and everything is a one shot, the jump, the explosions, the long reach staggers you so it might as well be a one shot. There were a couple of times i wanted to change mid-battle to Ludwig's Holy Blade and smash her head in. :D

The best summary of the run is running to the Moon Presence, instantly dying in 5 seconds when she jumped on me, running back and killing her in 40 seconds, staggering her 3 times. A glass cannon if there ever was one.

Has anyone used an arcane build? I have a big desire to spam A Call Beyond against Micolash Cage, and use a weapon that scales well with arcane but i would have to start a new character and i'm so used replaying NG+7 for years with my quality build character, i don't know whether i want to start a new one and upgrade weapons, finding the spells all over again, etc...

Back