Media Just rewatched Romero vs Costa

1) Romero *the deciding factor*
2) Costa clearly
3) Romero clearly

Round 1) Although Costa takes OctagonControl and Aggression, Romero landed more strikes and more significant strikes while also having the higher strike/attempt ratio. Costa threw a lot making it appear as though he is doing more but he missed more than he landed. Both scored knockdowns and both absorbed strikes very well but Romero’s precision and shot selection was far superior.

Round 2) For the first three minutes Costa clearly out-strikes Yoel while the last two minutes were more even. Yes Yoel lands the last second takedown but not enough by any means to steal the round.

***Notice that by the end of this round Costa is wearing a lot of damage on his face. It was his round for sure but Romero’s work over the two rounds is really starting to show***

Round 3) It is competitive for about the first two minutes but then it’s all Yoel and Costa is just showing off his toughness but conceding the round nonetheless. Yoel is clearly the fresher fighter by the end while Costa just refuses to fold.

***Notice that Costa is wearing significantly more damage than Romero. Costa’s doubt is apparent in his demeanor. For the first time since his UFC debut we see a face of humility as opposed to arrogance***

The decision is read, Costa’s relief is apparent, Yoel’s surprise is genuine, the crowds reaction is appropriate.

DEBATE INSPIRED BY @NoBiasJustMMA

Knockdown vs knockdown
WHO did it better?

A) Costa
B) Romero
C) EQUAL​

Agreed! Rnd 3 is romero no doubt and if one carefully watches the first, Costa missed a lot. Octagon control is means nothing then. Just like taking down your opponent only to let him get up 10 seconds later. Romero was robbed

Get in a stance and begin to launch a power-left. You will observe that initially the weight is primarily on your backfoot while the frontfoot acts as a stabilizer, then as you progress through the movement your weight begins to shift. Costa caught him in the middle of this transition thus further imbalancing the distribution of weight. Yoel’s momentum + the disruption caused by Costa keeps him moving/falling forward but before Yoel even gets near the ground he is already grabbing at Costa showing awareness.

Is anything I’ve said here unreasonable?
You described it very well. That's what it looked like. First i thought it was a deliberate fall lol. Yoel is not very conventional. A walking box of surprises

Costa caught him in the middle of this transition thus further imbalancing the distribution of weight.
{<huh}

How would this further push his momentum forwards though? If anything it would send Yoel backwards, not forwards. I really don't get what you're saying here.

And it is extremely common for rocked fighters to instinctively grab at the legs when they get dropped...

If you're trolling then you really got me good lol.
and 60% think Romero won the second ...
60% people thought COSTA won the 2nd round, not Romero.
one carefully watches the first, Costa missed a lot. Octagon control is means nothing then.
You don't need to lie you know... Costa landed 5 more sig. strikes in the 1st round than Romero and was the aggressor. Therefore he won the round.

That's not unreasonable, the second round was by far the closest. It could have been a 10-9 for either guy or a 10-10.
The closest?

giphy.gif

{<huh}

How would this further push his momentum forwards though? If anything it would send Yoel backwards, not forwards. I really don't get what you're saying here.

And it is extremely common for rocked fighters to instinctively grab at the legs when they get dropped...

If you're trolling then you really got me good lol.

60% people thought COSTA won the 2nd round, not Romero.

You don't need to lie you know... Costa landed 5 more sig. strikes in the 1st round than Romero and was the aggressor. Therefore he won the round.

Just look at what the actual fighters, you know, the ones who actually fight for a living, had to say about the fight. Leave it part timer..

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...-with-romero-costa-result-on-twitter.4001831/

If you're trolling then you really got me good lol...

Ahhhhh, we’re not going to see eye to eye on this. I respect your opinion, I just have a different one.

Just look at what the actual fighters, you know, the ones who actually fight for a living, had to say about the fight. Leave it part timer..
Watch the fight and actually use your brain without being biased...

A very strong point.

People up in here trying to clown on anyone who sawi it for Romero while plenty of the fighters themselves whose opinions are far more valid than any of ours saw it for Romero as well.
Even brazilian partisans of Costa didn't feel he made enough for a win lol. But whatever, sherdogger posting from mom basement and judges that are more apt to oversee America Got Talent know more than pro fighters

Watch the fight and actually use your brain without being biased...
Why would i be biased? I never liked Romero lol. I'm still salty about stool gate, but gotta give it to the man

He’s clearly of the opinion, as am I, that the first round was “the closest” as opposed to your contention that the second round was “the closest”
We're getting trolled i think

We're getting trolled i think

LMAO, you're the two that are trolling. Everyone else is pretty much in agreement, round 1 is Costa, round 2 could arguably go either way but a slight majority scored it for Costa and round 3 was Romero's.

LOL still cant admit you were wrong about Costa before the fight.

Costa RD1 easily. He dropped Romero and had him faking a nut shot to break the action. And no Romero didnt drop him back, it was a blocked punch that had enough force to cause Costa to lose footing.

There was a reason Yoel ducked him in Nov. and called USADA on him in April.

Back