Karate blackbelts in MMA

* Machida was never in WKF
just clarifying :)
no but he fought with the old WKF rules (not the current ones) from when they were still called WUKO (not to be confused with the current WUKO -that is just what happens when a small breakaway faction realises the main organization forgot to keep the copyright of the old name when they changed)

Excellent win for the Goju-ryu master Giga Chikadze last night with this beautiful chudan mawashi geri!

DisloyalVariableHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif
beautiful liverkick

^Seem like that connected with his big toe o.o That's nasty!

WKF (and all other organizations using basically the same point rules) are very distinct from american foam foot-fencing. I cannot say for the american point karate point of view, but the WKF point of view is that they do not want to be lumped together with the foot fencers.

WKF point karate
This is what the rest of the world regards as point karate

It is all about distancing drawing out attacks, countering, counter-countering and timing. hitting without getting hit. Machida elusiveness

foam foot fencing (american style point karate)
This stuff basically only exist in the US.

I honestly have no clue what this is about except standing on one leg and waving the other in front of you.
(If it seems like I despise this, it is because I do)

As for kempo and kenpo they are such a broad group so that you simply cannot group them together as one for anything. Some do various point karate versions (including the foot fencing above), some do full contact (including knockdown/kyokushin variants), some do other stuff entirely.
You have to look at each individually.

Did yo compare a high level point competition in WKF to an extremely low level random local point fighting competition?

What do the smaller local WKF competitions look like?

There’s a kyokushin place about 30 min from my place. Kinda tempted to take some classes but they only have them 3x a week.

There’s a kyokushin place about 30 min from my place. Kinda tempted to take some classes but they only have them 3x a week.
Do those 3 days not work well with your schedule or what's the problem with 3x a week?

Did yo compare a high level point competition in WKF to an extremely low level random local point fighting competition?

What do the smaller local WKF competitions look like?
I didnt compare them. I picked the first examples with decent camera quality I could find to show difference in competition format.

I didnt compare them. I picked the first examples with decent camera quality I could find to show difference in competition format.
I'm pretty sure the rules are nearly identical. The difference is the skill levels involved and maybe some cultural approaches.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet but Chuck Liddel also was a black belt in Koei-kan karate. In fact his head tattoos spell out koei kan. That’s the martial art I got my start in as well and Chuck fought pretty much like how I’d expect someone with a heavy koei kan background to fight. I can write more on it if people are interested.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet but Chuck Liddel also was a black belt in Koei-kan karate. In fact his head tattoos spell out koei kan. That’s the martial art I got my start in as well and Chuck fought pretty much like how I’d expect someone with a heavy koei kan background to fight. I can write more on it if people are interested.
Yep he was mentioned pretty early on, probably in the formal list.

Yup, Chuck was one of the first people on my list. :) But very keen to hear more from You as I am not familiar with Koei-kan.

If it's a legit school then three times a week will probably be all you can handle and still work lol

Do we already have Gabriel Varga listed here?
Thanks man. :)
EDIT: He's on Sherdog!!! @Gabriel Varga

NEW FIGHTER ADDED!
  • Name: Gabriel Varga
  • Pro MMA Record: 1-1-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Pro Kickboxing Record: 24-6-0
  • Last Fight: February 21, 2020 in BFC
  • Weight Class: Featherweight
  • Height: 5'10" (178cm) | Reach: 72.5" (184cm)
  • Born: Toronto, Ontario
  • Foundation Style: Shotokan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Varga
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/228683-gabriel-varga

Gabriel_Varga_belt_collection.jpg

Last edited:
NEW FIGHTER ADDED!

Only 2 MMA fights but honestly I'm surprised he wasn't listed here earlier, considering his visibility in KB.

NEW FIGHTER ADDED!

FWIW, his style isn't actually Shotokan, his style is Kadgamala, but he got his start in Shotokan, but from how he explained it to me, his actual blackbelt is in that Kadgamala style, which is a style of karate created by his instructor, which is more along the lines of kickboxing.

FWIW, his style isn't actually Shotokan, his style is Kadgamala, but he got his start in Shotokan, but from how he explained it to me, his actual blackbelt is in that Kadgamala style, which is a style of karate created by his instructor, which is more along the lines of kickboxing.
Where is his instructor from?
And is 'kickboxing' a style? Instead of clogging up this thread with that discussion ill make a new one.

You know him personally?

Back