Karate blackbelts in MMA

You know him personally?
He's one of the fighters I've interviewed :)

Where is his instructor from?
And is 'kickboxing' a style? Instead of clogging up this thread with that discussion ill make a new one.

Not sure on his instructors background, but as for kickboxing being a style I'd lean on no, but sort of,, say Shin Karate for example is a kyokushin off shoot but bares more resemblance to kickboxing in its approach:

He's one of the fighters I've interviewed :)
That's awesome! Can we see/read the interview anywhere?

Not sure on his instructors background, but as for kickboxing being a style I'd lean on no, but sort of,, say Shin Karate for example is a kyokushin off shoot but bares more resemblance to kickboxing in its approach:

This is what Kyokushin should have evolved to IMO, instead of clinging to the knockdown rules.

Not sure but @shinkyoku probably knows.

Watching the interview now. You have a nice radio voice. :D

<3 it was a lot of fun to do, my (text based) interviews with Lucien Carbin and Tarec Saffediene have also been reposted to that website, they were originally on Muay Thai Guy, but there was an accident with the website transfer leaving them lost until now

Sure thing:
https://www.dieselgym.co.uk/a-conversation-with-gabriel-varga/

I tend to agree in the kyokushin front too, I think that's part of where the Ashihara split happened right?

Depending on whom you ask, Hideyuki Ashihara either left kyokushin on his own initiative to pursue his own ideas of karate (ie replacing trad katas with more functional ones), or he was kicked out after it was discovered he only reported some of his students to the kyokushin HQ, pocketing the fees of the rest. Which story you believe tend to depend on which org you belong to.
Although the rift between the orgs are old news (Ashihara is now closely allied to Shinkyokushin, Hidenori Ashihara and Kenji Midori are close friends, and Mas Oyama and Hideyuki Ashihara are long dead) it is still a tender subject for some.
Tournament rules was not very high on the list of reasons for that particular split.

Last edited:
Depending on whom you ask, Hideyuki Ashihara either left kyokushin on his own initiative to pursue his own ideas of karate (ie replacing trad katas with more functional ones), or he was kicked out after it was discovered he only reported some of his students to the kyokushin HQ, pocketing the fees of the rest. Which story you believe tend to depend on which org you belong to.
Although the rift between the orgs are old news (Ashihara is now closely allied to Shinkyokushin, Hidenori Ashihara and Kenji Midori are close friends, and Mas Oyama and Hideyuki Ashihara are long dead) it is still a tender subject for some.
Tournament rules was not very high on the list of reasons for that particular split.

I could see the truth being somewhere in the middle.

I've said before, and maybe you'll disagree, but I think a lot of the styles with karate are maybe a little silly, I think I've seen more difference between the Muay Thai of Sitmonchai and 13 Coins, than I have between Kyokushin/Ashihara

I'm glad that it at least sounds that people are getting along more now though

I could see the truth being somewhere in the middle.

I've said before, and maybe you'll disagree, but I think a lot of the styles with karate are maybe a little silly, I think I've seen more difference between the Muay Thai of Sitmonchai and 13 Coins, than I have between Kyokushin/Ashihara

I'm glad that it at least sounds that people are getting along more now though
I personally agree that it is silly. All the old masters really tried to emphasize that "Karate is one" and one should not cling to differences and styles. Yet so many of their students set up their own styles to cling to...

Imagine if boxers split into "styles" and argued which was the best one?
- We teach the superior Swarmer style in my gym!
- The Out-boxer style is best because it's long range!
- My powerful Slugger style will KO anyone!
- You guys stand no chance against the Counterpuncher style!
- My Switch-Hitter style will confuse all of you!
- The Peek-a-Boo style of defense is all you need!
- No, the Philly Shell style is obviously better!

etc... :D

I personally agree that it is silly. All the old masters really tried to emphasize that "Karate is one" and one should not cling to differences and styles. Yet so many of their students set up their own styles to cling to...

Imagine if boxers split into "styles" and argued which was the best one?
- We teach the superior Swarmer style in my gym!
- The Out-boxer style is best because it's long range!
- My powerful Slugger style will KO anyone!
- You guys stand no chance against the Counterpuncher style!
- My Switch-Hitter style will confuse all of you!
- The Peek-a-Boo style of defense is all you need!
- No, the Philly Shell style is obviously better!

etc... :D
My controversial hot take is that you can probably consider TKD a style of karate as well

Jack Slack at one point said when you really get down to it there's two major styles of karate, and it's not all these different styles, its those that compete in point based competition and those that compete in knockdown, as those are the major formats and those competition rules are what really dictate how you will end up fighting, more than any martial arts philosophy.

What a treat for Karate fans:

What a treat for Karate fans:

Ya I’m heart broken knowing that there’s only so many of these videos that will be made.

icy mike, and Seth have awesome chemistry together and adding Jesse into that mix is just awesome.

Ya I’m heart broken knowing that there’s only so many of these videos that will be made.

icy mike, and Seth have awesome chemistry together and adding Jesse into that mix is just awesome.
Of the "martial arts nerds" on YT Jesse is easily my favorite. Yeah he's corny but he's also passionate, humble and very open. Icy Mike comes off as a bit of a know-it-all wise guy. Seth comes off a bit McDojoish. Ramsey Dewey I used to like when he was just balletman, now he's just annoying. I like Shintaro Higashi tho.

Of the "martial arts nerds" on YT Jesse is easily my favorite. Yeah he's corny but he's also passionate, humble and very open. Icy Mike comes off as a bit of a know-it-all wise guy. Seth comes off a bit McDojoish. Ramsey Dewey I used to like when he was just balletman, now he's just annoying. I like Shintaro Higashi tho.

I know nothing about "Eastern" martial arts, and never had much interest*. And I find Enkamp's videos so infectious it makes me want to find a dojo. Corny + Enthusiasm = I'm sold!

* Aside from a year of TKD that I took in the mid 80's, like approximately 5 million other kids under 12 who saw "The Karate Kid in 1984. TKD studio was closer than Karate and I was too young to know the difference. I think my Mom fooled me by saying "Its Korean Karate". Smart mom, dumb son.

Last edited:
I know nothing about "Eastern" martial arts, and never had much interest*. And I find Enkamp's videos so infectious it makes me want to find a dojo. Corny + Enthusiasm = I'm sold!

* Aside from a year of TKD that I took in the mid 80's, like approximately 5 million other kids under 12 who saw "The Karate Kid in 1984. TKD studio was closer than Karate and I was too young to know the difference. I think my Mom fooled me by saying "Its Korean Karate". Smart mom, dumb son.
Depending on who you ask TKD is just Korean karate.
It’s quite heavily influenced by shotokan karate.

Mike comes off as know it all smart ass but he also typically hedges his statements acknowledging things work different for different people.

Back