Karate Combat and now Kombat Taekwondo

karatefoo

they trained me wrong, as a joke!
@Blue
Reaction score
Been seeing social media posts now of these Taekwondo associations trying to make their sport more appealing and hosting matches, similar to Karate Combat. However they still follow a more restricted ruleset like Olympic TKD.

I believe BJJ and MMA schools are slowly replacing the old school Karate and TKD schools and now the associations are in search of what can appeal to newer audiences.

Last edited:
Any vids of those taekwondo events ?

They are supposedly on Youtube

Well any sport can look good with a mash of 3 second highlights. So I browsed their channel to see a fight and they haven't uploaded one full fight.

How am I supposed to know what this sport is about if I can't see a fight ?

There I already see a difference with Karate Combat because understood very soon that it's a niche sport and marketing is everything, so let's allow people to see it easily.

I can go to their page and watch Pettis vs Henderson or any Gabriel Varga fight in full length right now.

But for Taekwondo Kombat it seems it's hidden somewhere. So yeah it won't pick up interest. Concept was cool, it's a waste.

Well any sport can look good with a mash of 3 second highlights. So I browsed their channel to see a fight and they haven't uploaded one full fight.

How am I supposed to know what this sport is about if I can't see a fight ?

There I already see a difference with Karate Combat because understood very soon that it's a niche sport and marketing is everything, so let's allow people to see it easily.

I can go to their page and watch Pettis vs Henderson or any Gabriel Varga fight in full length right now.

But for Taekwondo Kombat it seems it's hidden somewhere. So yeah it won't pick up interest. Concept was cool, it's a waste.
Seems like it is a very new promotion. Only a few months in. They just posted their rule set recently.

They just posted their rule set recently
Cliffs? Honest to god, maybe this is just the 90s ninja craze talking here but if two TKD masters competed under K1 rules but with mma gloves I’d never miss a match

Cliffs? Honest to god, maybe this is just the 90s ninja craze talking here but if two TKD masters competed under K1 rules but with mma gloves I’d never miss a match
It had some rules which essentially turned it to ISKA (American ruleset, no strikes below waist). I would say it is like ITF TKD but no breaking on points. No clinching, seems like it's pure punching and kicking. There was something with legal sweeps but it seems like they just came up with the rules on the spot.

Karate Combat is already going downhill. Started to have “Pit Submission” events
<DisgustingHHH>
They had a decent thing going, but growing up I didn't see many karate studios. There were more Tae Kwon Do studios in California. I think the other thing is there are so many styles of karate and they each came up with slightly different rule sets, so even conjuring up fighters seems like a tall task.

They had a decent thing going, but growing up I didn't see many karate studios. There were more Tae Kwon Do studios in California. I think the other thing is there are so many styles of karate and they each came up with slightly different rule sets, so even conjuring up fighters seems like a tall task.
The Karate fights are fun. Took them a bit to come up with a rules set that works, but they got it dialed in.

For me personally I just hate seeing grappling matches promoted on the KC channel

Looks like they just put up another video to explain their mission. I'm curious to see if it will help revive the TMAs.

This will probably just end up a customized "no grappling" version of MMA, just like Karate Combat. These new promotions are hip to the fact that MMA fans are sick of watching lay & pray/wall & stall crap on every MMA card.

I was reading a book about Shotokan Karate that had picture slides showing techniques frame by frame and I honestly could not tell the difference between that and TKD, many have said that TKD is just an exotic form of Karate they are so similar.

I was reading a book about Shotokan Karate that had picture slides showing techniques frame by frame and I honestly could not tell the difference between that and TKD, many have said that TKD is just an exotic form of Karate they are so similar.
Technique wise it pretty much is. The emphasis just tends to be more on kicks and being mobile whereas karate is more planted.

Back