Kareem Abdul jabbar is overrated

Shaq could beat 70s competition by himself
Skill level has improved no doubt but the best players would still be the best.

Think about it , shaq was handed his ass by Hakeem, hakeem was head to head even with Kareem in the 86 wcf, Kareem competed in all of the 70s. It’s pretty unlikely …

The biggest issue I see for the centers pre 2010 is if they played the modern game they might be severely handicapped on defense. Since every big can shoot

Skill level has improved no doubt but the best players would still be the best.

Think about it , shaq was handed his ass by Hakeem, hakeem was head to head even with Kareem in the 86 wcf, Kareem competed in all of the 70s. It’s pretty unlikely …

Shaq did pretty good. Hakeem was shutting down Ewing and d rob while shaq didnt

If I was to put together a team from players (prime) of any era; my post would be Shaq hands down. Never seen a big man change the game like he did. Most dominant physical force in the history of basketball.

Often played bad defense and never really put in the work on his free throws.

Often played bad defense and never really put in the work on his free throws.
And yet the central question before the entire league when Shaq was in his prime was, simply, "What is your team's plan with how to deal with Shaq?"

Nobody else registered on that level during my lifetime but Jordan. Not Bird/Magic, not Duncan, not Kobe, not Lebron, not Curry.

And yet the central question before the entire league when Shaq was in his prime was, simply, "What is your team's plan with how to deal with Shaq?"

Nobody else registered on that level during my lifetime but Jordan. Not Bird/Magic, not Duncan, not Kobe, not Lebron, not Curry.
either you’re deliberately lying or you weren’t paying attention. the entire landscape and strategy of the league has changed to try and deal with curry.

either you’re deliberately lying or you weren’t paying attention. the entire landscape and strategy of the league has changed to try and deal with curry.
No, the entire landscape of the league has adopted a moneyball approach to scoring philosophy emulating the model of the Golden State Warriors, but the truth is this evolution predated him, and the success of the Warriors dynasty only accelerated its embrace. You can see that if you chart the ever-increasing total 3PTA across the league throughout the 80's, 90's, and 00's. Teams in the league have adapted to cope with the omnipresence of 3PT-oriented offenses, not specifically Curry. He has at no point been regarded as the most dominant individual player in the league. As good as he's been, and I've had to scratch my head at the amount of disrespect he's been shown on Sherdog the past several years, everyone is aware he isn't the best player alive, nor the most dominant individual force on both sides of the ball.

No, the entire landscape of the league has adopted a moneyball approach to scoring philosophy emulating the model of the Golden State Warriors, but the truth is this evolution predated him, and the success of the Warriors dynasty only accelerated its embrace. You can see that if you chart the ever-increasing total 3PTA across the league throughout the 80's, 90's, and 00's.
sure, now chart the difference from 2013 to now and tell me it’s the same increase. teams attempted 15 3’s a game in 2004, 20 3’s a game in 2013, and 35 3’s a game last year. it’s not natural evolution, it’s steph curry.
Teams in the league have adapted to cope with the omnipresence of 3PT-oriented offenses, not specifically Curry. He has at no point been regarded as the most dominant individual player in the league.
fucking hilarious statement considering he’s the only unanimous MVP ever.

That is because Shaq was so one dimensional. If any of those other guys wants to eat, there is no easy way to develop a plan because their team just adjust. Others have dominated like Shaq but Shaq's play was very straight forward and predictable, which is why people tried to come up with plans for him. There was never a real plan for prime Lebron, Jordan, or Curry.

That is because Shaq was so one dimensional. If any of those other guys wants to eat, there is no easy way to develop a plan because their team just adjust. Others have dominated like Shaq but Shaq's play was very straight forward and predictable, which is why people tried to come up with plans for him. There was never a real plan for prime Lebron, Jordan, or Curry.
Shaq wasn't one-dimensional simply because he wasn't an inside-out player, but tabling that, who cares? Stupid argument. If someone is "one-dimensional", but nobody can stop that player in that dimension, why would he waste his time and energy trying to be multi-dimensional? He's dominating the game by virtue of sheer supremacy in that dimension. It's bad strategy not to exploit your opponent's weakness just because it doesn't satisfy some dumb sports-radio point of conversation about roundedness.

fucking hilarious statement considering he’s the only unanimous MVP ever.
The MVP award isn't given to the player everyone believes is the best player in the world. Otherwise Jokic would be considered the best player in the world right now. He obviously isn't.

There's been arguments a mile long about what that award is supposed to reflect, but the one favoring "best player alive" has never been the predominant one.

The MVP award isn't given to the player everyone believes is the best player in the world. Otherwise Jokic would be considered the best player in the world right now. He obviously isn't.
plenty of pundits and publications had steph #1 in 2015-2017. i can provide proof if you’d like.
There's been arguments a mile long about what that award is supposed to reflect, but the one favoring "best player alive" has never been the predominant one.
that’s semantics tbh but regardless, more than a few articles and TV segments crowning/arguing steph as the best player in the world. and as a counterargument, when was there ever an undisputed “best player alive” for an extended period of time?

plenty of pundits and publications had steph #1 in 2015-2017. i can provide proof if you’d like.

that’s semantics tbh but regardless, more than a few articles and TV segments crowning/arguing steph as the best player in the world. and as a counterargument, when was there ever an undisputed “best player alive” for an extended period of time?
You can always find a few outliers. Nobody seriously had Steph over Lebron during that period.

You can always find a few outliers. Nobody seriously had Steph over Lebron during that period.
so we went from “no one” to “a few.” also yes, some people seriously did. hell, people had westbrook over lebron at this point.

A strong case could be made for Curry. But that was more of a response to the system than the player, IMO.

Also, Shaq was the most physically-dominant player of his era...perhaps ever. And MJ is the GOAT scorer, along with being overall GOAT. Not sure it’s fair to compare that to guys who were simply good/great at everything like Magic, Lebron, Duncan, etc.

Well, wasn’t your original post regarding this, about players that evoke a strong reaction from the league in general and/or change the game? Point being, Lebron is clearly the superior ball player, all things considered. But he isn’t anywhere near the same level as Steph in terms of being a pioneer, changing the landscape of the game, etc. Lebron fits more into the mold of being a modern Magic, or someone similar.

On topic, Wilt, KAJ, Shaq, and Hakeem, would all be undefendable today. Too much length, skill, and athleticism. Likely a few others as well. There’s no shortage of great 7’ athletes today; they’re just not being taught to play like 7’ers of old. They would have no answer for them in the paint. Granted, some of the really old school guys would need some updates to their game.

Back