Karo Parisyan kimura. Why not used in MMA?

migeru29

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I wonder why is this technique not used in MMA or very rarely. It works for many times as a double leg TD defense and sometimes even against single leg. I guess is harder in MMA or Karo was just that good

A little bit of both, I think.

The situations where one would normally catch the standing double-wrist lock/kimura are places where other techniques are first in line.

An example is using the nearside overhook/farside wrist control/inside head positioning/sprawl defense against a double, rather than reaching over to the farside for the DWL/kimura.

As well as the potential of ending up on your back, if the TD doesn't happen.

Karo is the man, though. That's why this technique was one of his highlights. One of his many highlights.

Because the game has changed. I loved it then and use it at the gym still. Karo wasn't worried about the TD because he could scramble up or stall until the ref stood them up. G&P was different during that era also. There are many factors. I know when the Diaz brothers are against the cage they prefer to look 1st for judo throws often with the kimura grip. Its more about the fight mentality of eras past. Imo

It's used all the time against the fence to slow down and make the opponent worried.
I remember Hendricks against GSP and Romero against Tavares.

Grabbing a kimura after a double or a single from the open is hard because things move too fast.

Did you see the Assuncao v Sandhagen fight last weekend? Sandhagen used it with great efficiency to defend the takedown when the opponent has back control. It’s a late defense that usually requires excellent scrambling to continue, but it works well if you are stuck in that scenario. You aren’t likely to see a lot of offensive use of it because it requires too much exposure. More of a last ditch defense.

I wonder why is this technique not used in MMA or very rarely. It works for many times as a double leg TD defense and sometimes even against single leg. I guess is harder in MMA or Karo was just that good
Probably because you don't watch enough MMA.

Cory Sandhagen vs Raphael Assuncao
Ramazan Emeev vs Stefan Sekulic
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs Ali Abdulkhalikov

Those are three recent fights in which Sandhagen, Emeev, and Kawajiri almost exclusively used the kimura to defend takedowns, and all were extremely successful in doing so. I highly recommend watching these fights.

Edit: Didn't see Zankou had already mentioned the Sandhagen fight! But really the Emeev fight is probably the better example.

Did you see the Assuncao v Sandhagen fight last weekend? Sandhagen used it with great efficiency to defend the takedown when the opponent has back control. It’s a late defense that usually requires excellent scrambling to continue, but it works well if you are stuck in that scenario. You aren’t likely to see a lot of offensive use of it because it requires too much exposure. More of a last ditch defense.

No I didn't. Will watch, thanks

Probably because you don't watch enough MMA.

Cory Sandhagen vs Raphael Assuncao
Ramazan Emeev vs Stefan Sekulic
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs Ali Abdulkhalikov

Those are three recent fights in which Sandhagen, Emeev, and Kawajiri almost exclusively used the kimura to defend takedowns, and all were extremely successful in doing so. I highly recommend watching these fights.

Edit: Didn't see Zankou had already mentioned the Sandhagen fight! But really the Emeev fight is probably the better example.

Will do, thanks. I do watch many fights but not all

Will do, thanks. I do watch many fights but not all
As for the risks for attacking a standing kimura:

ZxkeYT9.gif

Clearly not an elite grappler, she clearly didn't use good technique as Karo demonstrate
Maybe you should watch the fight. In round 1 she nearly armbarred Andrade off of the position.

Getting slammed from there is a common risk. Sandhagen, who we previously discussed as using the kimura effectively against Assuncao, got slammed the exact same way against Mario Bautista:

Sandhagen masterfully transitions into a reverse triangle off of the slam, keeping position.

Goddamn that reverse triangle transition was brilliant, I hadn’t seen that clip before.

Maybe you should watch the fight. In round 1 she nearly armbarred Andrade off of the position.

Getting slammed from there is a common risk. Sandhagen, who we previously discussed as using the kimura effectively against Assuncao, got slammed the exact same way against Mario Bautista:

Sandhagen masterfully transitions into a reverse triangle off of the slam, keeping position.

Again clearly faulty technique. He was sideways almost turning , Karo starts facing forward and pulling down as much as possible

Again clearly faulty technique. He was sideways almost turning , Karo starts facing forward and pulling down as much as possible
With the greatest of respect, I would suggest you just shut the fuck up at this point.

lots of guys try for kimuras especially against fence or when someone has their hips from behind its just that they never are able to use it effective which tells me it isnt a super great method robbie tried it on colby colby was able t get him down fast off it

i think guys are just way to good today and u really gotta be a kimura position master t pull it off consistently

Goddamn that reverse triangle transition was brilliant, I hadn’t seen that clip before.
On an unrelated note, Josh Barnett protege Victor Henry just won at Rizin using an unorthodox reverse triangle:

With the greatest of respect, I would suggest you just shut the fuck up at this point.
lol

i think that kids gonna go far hes got very good bjj and is so long lanky for the division fact he did that well vs rafael whos like the best bjj guy in the division kinda shows how good he is

i def see him being no less than top 5 of the division

lol

i think that kids gonna go far hes got very good bjj and is so long lanky for the division fact he did that well vs rafael whos like the best bjj guy in the division kinda shows how good he is

i def see him being no less than top 5 of the division
Sandhagen is currently #3 in official UFC rankings.

I don't think it's coincidental at all that Karo trained at Gokor and Gene's, and just so happened to be big on using the DWL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back