Ken Shamrock - 1998 Strength and Conditioning program for MMA

Pretty broad coverage, wasn't sure how much detail you were going into. That's a lot of high rep and cardio for such a muscle dense body. Did they touch on supplements any?

1st time seeing Ultimate Warrior without face paint, had no idea what he looked like.

PSA: Watch the vid at 1.5x speed

Pretty broad coverage, wasn't sure how much detail you were going into. That's a lot of high rep and cardio for such a muscle dense body. Did they touch on supplements any?

1st time seeing Ultimate Warrior without face paint, had no idea what he looked like.

PSA: Watch the vid at 1.5x speed
He did talk about that but very very minimally

He went in detail about diet though

The ability to do 100 pushups nonstop really helped him against Tito, 3 times.

To be fair, after his pro wrestling stint, he was never the same fighter.

His first fight back in 2000 he never even shot for a takedown, his knees were shot at that point

Honestly I think the Don Frye fight had to have taken years off of his life. Highly entertaining but both guys paid a huge price after that one.

Just a little over a minute in and it's already pretty hilarious.

1. Being able to spar for one hour straight
2. Being able to do 100 pushups, 100 situps and 500 air squats without stopping
3. Being able to bench press 300 lbs within a few months of training.

I love getting oldschool gems, but that's some funny stuff lol.

Just a little over a minute in and it's already pretty hilarious.

1. Being able to spar for one hour straight
2. Being able to do 100 pushups, 100 situps and 500 air squats without stopping
3. Being able to bench press 300 lbs within a few months of training.

I love getting oldschool gems, but that's some funny stuff lol.
If you look at it from face value of just being able to do repetitions of certain bodyweight exercises, yeah you could laugh at it.

But when you look at the deeper meaning which is the idea of setting certain physical standards for yourself so you can be an elite competitor at your sport then you look at what they are saying differently. These don't have to be your standards, you make your own standards. When I was at a University wrestling club, which had the best wrestlers in the country they had certain physical standards as well which the wrestlers had to live up to. Same with the military

Kurt Angle had a similar idea in his book which got him to an Olympic Gold Medal

Honestly I think the Don Frye fight had to have taken years off of his life. Highly entertaining but both guys paid a huge price after that one.

Iirc frye states thats the reason he was on pain pills for a while.

His coaching on TUF was laughable. Lift some big stones and eat steak.

Lol TUF definitely portrayed him as an out of touch meathead. I went to one of his seminars in 2004 after his 2nd Kimo win and he came off like a good-hearted guy who took himself seriously but was behind the times (even then). He made a real effort to help everyone in the room and he demonstrated his Don Frye ankle lock on me (I was and still am a random scrub).

What was hilarious is he seemed to expect everyone in the class had read his book and was familiar with his Lion's Den system (no one was). Apparently he had assigned numbers to certain positions including turtle, guard, back take, etc. and his grappling system was based around those position numbers. During the class he kept yelling out "Five!! Three!!! Two!!!" and everyone was scrambling around trying to make him happy but no one knew what he wanted.

I remember telling the guy I was partnered up with, "Dude no one knows what the hell he's talking about. Why don't we just tell him?" And the guy was obviously terrified of Ken and shook his head and was like, "Hell no, I'm not saying anything!"

During TUF there was one cutaway scene that was spot on based on my experience at that seminar. Kalib Starnes says something to the effect of, "Ken is old school and his way isn't the right way for most of us. But he means well and he truly believes he's doing the right thing. God bless him."

Last edited:
During TUF there was one cutaway scene that was spot on based on my experience at that seminar. Kalib Starnes says something to the effect of, "Ken is old school and his way isn't the right way for most of us. But he means well and he truly believes he's doing the right thing. God bless his heart."
I actually had that Ken book - I took a few things from it (in regards to grappling) that I used and still .

There was a throw he did from like an overhand clinch position where begin to sit, then roll away from your opponent, with that over hand hook, and basically throw/roll them over you.

Also he had a rolling armbar from back mount that I liked to use (when the opponent is on all fours).

I vaguely remember him on Tuf going on about how he loved "beach muscle" look. And the "watching my fights" segment (as well as the eat steak comment).

I actually had that Ken book - I took a few things from it (in regards to grappling) that I used and still .

There was a throw he did from like an overhand clinch position where begin to sit, then roll away from your opponent, with that over hand hook, and basically throw/roll them over you.

Also he had a rolling armbar from back mount that I liked to use (when the opponent is on all fours).

I vaguely remember him on Tuf going on about how he loved "beach muscle" look. And the "watching my fights" segment (as well as the eat steak comment).

Ken's a pioneer and I've always respected him for that. And while he may not have been the most technical fighter, he WAS a legit submission artist in his own right and trained a logical system to achieve position and complete subs.

But that's why outcomes like his loss to Kimbo seem bizarre. A guy with 20+ years sub grappling achieves back mount with hooks in and fully sunk RNC on a guy like Kimbo. And he botches it? I'm not making any allegations because I don't know but I've never been able to rationalize that one.

Last edited:
But that's why outcomes like his loss to Kimbo seem bizarre. A guy with 20+ years sub grappling achieves back mount with hooks in and fully sunk RNC on a guy like Kimbo. And he botches it? I'm not making any allegations because I don't know but I've never been able to rationalize that one.
Also, the phantom punch from rich franklin - ken went down like he'd been shot from a mystery bullet . . . LOL.

Also, the phantom punch from rich franklin - ken went down like he'd been shot from a mystery bullet . . . LOL.

That's the other one that comes to mind lol. I remember hyping him to my casual buddies before the fight and telling them how much of a badass Ken was. Then he slips on an invisible banana peel and falls backwards like the villain in a Scooby Doo episode. They may as well have added the "slip n' slide" sound effect and the sound of pots and pans crashing onto the floor. I was like WTF Ken you were in the WWF. At least make it LOOK real.

It looked like he was trying to be sneaky and dive in on Rich's legs to work an ankle lock. At least that's how I interpreted Ken's strategy in that instance.

Back