Kettlebell Swing

I do 10 x 10 Kettlebell Swings at the gym with 24 kilo (52,8 lbs).

Does it count if you don't slap your ass with bell every rep

Gonna throw in some more kneeling KB shovels today. Great warm up set

KB swings were a mainstay for me in lockdown last year. Long EMOMs of swings and push-ups during shit weather was a good way to keep some aerobic base.

Some swings for years. Usually not on my gym days though. Over the years they have been a mainstay in my kb routine, regardless of how much variety I have in there, the swing is always in.
I usually do 5 sets of 20 or 25 (25kg) with other movements thrown in. Really helped develop my back over there years. However I do them less nowadays since sometimes my core is fried from deadlifts and squats.

KB Swings are very good for low-impact conditioning. Useful if one is working around an injury or the weather makes training outside too risky.

Doing the 10k swings in 20 days challenge. 500 per day. I've done this a few times and it's always good for losing some pants sizes quickly. Paired with OMAD it works wonders

I don't do KB swings but I had a friend who was certified in Dragondoor cult almost 20 years ago. The way he swung the KB is different from what I see on social media now. There are also people who swing it super plastically with a real short rom but they seem like crossfitters.

Best coating to rejuvenate them? Humidity + sweat makes them rust out and start flaking. Just some rust protection spray paint? Or is there a better option that doesn't make a slick grip.

I don't do KB swings but I had a friend who was certified in Dragondoor cult almost 20 years ago. The way he swung the KB is different from what I see on social media now. There are also people who swing it super plastically with a real short rom but they seem like crossfitters.
Oddly enough Crossfitters do the American swing, which ends overhead rather than at chest level.

Oddly enough Crossfitters do the American swing, which ends overhead rather than at chest level.
Maybe training style changes throughout the years. I am not quite sure but it looked different than what my friend was coaching. He was on that Pavel Koolaid years ago. I think it is the biggest waste of money to get certified in that.

Trying to get to where I can do this. I can do the snatches and one round of the clean and jerks without setting the bell down with a 16kg but 15 straight mins of swings seems like torture

Trying to get to where I can do this. I can do the snatches and one round of the clean and jerks without setting the bell down with a 16kg but 15 straight mins of swings seems like torture

Is that a viable constant? 15 min of same repetitive motion sounds like joint stress

Is that a viable constant? 15 min of same repetitive motion sounds like joint stress
I switch arms as they fatigue, in the video they switch arms every 7.5 mins. The weight is light and it's soft style technique so it made for lots of reps.

I switch arms as they fatigue, in the video they switch arms every 7.5 mins. The weight is light and it's soft style technique so it made for lots of reps.
Probably as much mental . watching a clock for 7 minutes would be brutal . Everyone that does them praises it though, so must be worth it.

Last edited:
I like doing the Greyskull method of 13 to 1 swings/burpees.
13 swings/13 burpees, then 12, 11 etc. Do as fast as you can and try to beat your team each time.

Can do sets of 75 swings with the 24kg if I switch to hand-to-hand after 50 reps. Soft style is super easy on the hips but harder on the grip due to increased time under tension

The hinge is really emphasized now. The cues are hinge to plank then throw it at your dick. Very intense because you're speeding up the negative and have to fight it's momentum at the bottom.

The old way of training allowed a bit of forward knee movement and the kettlebell just kind of floated at the top of the swing until gravity took over.

I love swings. Before I discovered crawling, swings and get-ups used to be the most reliable form of grappling conditioning for me.

They're always part of my routine, but when I decide to focus on them for a training block I just go to youtube and follow Tracy Reifkind's workout progressions. That lady is a monster of swings.

Back