Khabibs combat sambo record

notafighter86

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was looking at Khabibs wiki page and it lists his two Combat Sambo world Championships wins - 2009 in Kiev and 2010 in Moscow.

Yet looking at the World Championships page it says the 2009 event was held in Thessaloniki and the 2010 in Tashkent. Both of these have medal tables, none of which have Khabib listed as a medalist.

Does anyone know why this is? What events did Khabib actually win?

He lost only once to some Chechen dude, but I don't know his record though.

Probably in another organisation. The event you're talking about in Greece 2009 was FIAS. I know that the World combat sambo federation also arranges world championships. I don't know if any of the other organisation arranges any world championships. I also have no idea about Khabibs record.

At the time in question, there was a split in the governing body of Sambo and there was a fraction, separated from FIAS, that organized a few events.
I believe Khabib won the worlds in the events, organized by that fraction.

Sometimes a single country sanctions a world championship. Such was the case with the non-Olympic weight worlds held in 2016. It was sanctioned by Hungary's federation. Or, like others said, it was WCSF worlds.

Sometimes a single country sanctions a world championship. Such was the case with the non-Olympic weight worlds held in 2016. It was sanctioned by Hungary's federation. Or, like others said, it was WCSF worlds.
No, they can only sanction world cup, not a championship.

No, they can only sanction world cup, not a championship.
I didn't mention that I was only referring to wrestling. And non-Olympic weight world championships held on Olympic years are a brand new concept. But in the one instance, the Hungarian Federation ran/sanctioned the whole event.

I didn't mention that I was only referring to wrestling. And non-Olympic weight world championships held on Olympic years are a brand new concept. But in the one instance, the Hungarian Federation ran/sanctioned the whole event.
Not familiar.
Things are a bit different for Sambo

Not familiar.
Things are a bit different for Sambo
How goes the sambo plight? Or is salvo kinda peripheral to your combat wrestling stuff? I read some of your stuff when I was writing an article for Intermat. I was writing about Genki Sudo and found your stuff when researching his coach, Noriaki Kiguchi.

How goes the sambo plight? Or is salvo kinda peripheral to your combat wrestling stuff? I read some of your stuff when I was writing an article for Intermat. I was writing about Genki Sudo and found your stuff when researching his coach, Noriaki Kiguchi.
I dont limit myself or students to one style.

The latest sports club I registered is with the Bulgarian Judo Federation.
I run classes, that are preparing beginners and intermediate level, for Judo, Sambo, BJJ and Sub grappling events next year.

Every move I teach is viewed from the perspective of different rule sets (what is universally banned and what to have in mind while applying).

We dont practice Combat Wrestling, because its a rule set, not a sport.
Same as ADCC.

So, usual practice at my gym would be with shorts, jacket, wrestling shoes, starting from the feet, on a wrestling mat.
I dont care what belt you decide to wear, its your fashion choice: blue, red, purple, black, pink...
Students would do extensive warmup sessions, including lifting and carrying partners, weighted bear crawls, neck bridges and etc.

Technical session would include grip fighting strategies to a takedown, then ground work.

Sparrings would be mainly situational:
Takedown only, takedown to a pin, pin escapes, sub defence, positional advance, full sparrings.

Essentially, when a competition is around the corner, will switch full gear towards the specific rule set for a few weeks.

As for events:
FIAS has international events separated on levels A, B and etc.
A level events are the Worlds, the continental championships and a few cups, such as the President's Cup, Kharalampiev Cup, frequented by the strongest Sambo teams.
B level events are the ones attracting the second layer of Sambo teams- the Dutch open, for example.

2020 has been a bitch of a year for all events in all combat sports, but the original plan was to host an international Sambo camp (Combat and Sports) in Bulgaria, together with Vlad Koulikov, Boris Velichkov, Kamen Georgiev with a competition at the end of the camp.
Goal is to present a chance for second tier teams to train with world champs and coaches for a week, do sparrings with up and coming local guys and compete at a small scale event.
I have the support of the Bulgarian Sambo Federation to push for inclusion of this camp and competition as a B level event in the official FIAS calendar.

Obviously Covid put a hold on all that, but Im ready for 2021 to put plans in motion.

Besides that, I have a Sub Only event with interesting twist in the rule set, prepared to launch in the spring.

There is also a BJJ annual event in the works.

Theses FIAS and WCSF. Both do world championships but they're different organizations. Like Ibjjf and adcc

Back