Kimura Grip Butterfly Sweep

Off-topic, but who are the best practitioners to watch at passing butterfly guard?

Body lock passing is getting pretty popular and my favorite way around butterfly guard. Lachlan has some really good videos on it I’d suggest.
Once I get back on the mats I need to learn how to body lock pass....

Once I get back on the mats I need to learn how to body lock pass....
I had a bit of trouble figuring it out at first and getting comfortable with it, but especially for no gi it is a very effective pass

I had a bit of trouble figuring it out at first and getting comfortable with it, but especially for no gi it is a very effective pass
Passing is definitely something where I'm very complacent with the things I've gotten good at. And what I'm good at has definitely been good enough to deal with most situations. But I have struggled immensely with passing against good butterfly players.

Body lock passing is getting pretty popular and my favorite way around butterfly guard. Lachlan has some really good videos on it I’d suggest.

I enjoy trying it in the gi but it is definitely harder. I use gi grips in place of the body lock but try and do the same head positioning to stay safe.I am only currently doing it against lower level people. I will see the issues I face as I try it on bigger, better people.

Off-topic, but who are the best practitioners to watch at passing butterfly guard?

In what formats? Barring some notable exceptions like Adam Wardzinski, butterfly guard tends to be lot more common in grappling sans kimono, than it is in gi jiujitsu specifically. For the moment i'll assume you're interested in the former.

There are basically three main streams to passing shin shields - much like there are with passing any sort of shields the opponent puts up between you and him - which is control of the legs, or the hips, or the head. Passing sequences in practice often have a combination of these elements, but one is always necessary. Im a big believer personally in head and leg controls, on account of shortening your pathways to a submission finish and hamstringing the bottom man's leg entanglement opportunities respectively.

Back