Largest Weight Cutter in the History of the UFC

GSPSAKU

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Looking at how big Paulo Costa was, and always is, people often say he's huge for the weight class which he is but he's certainly not the biggest weight cutter and by weight cut, I'm mean actual water weight cut, not out of shape, spending 6 weeks to drop weight. Just simply the weight cut from the last couple of days to the actual fight night.

Some may say Darren Till but he weighs in around 200lbs according to Till himself and his coaches on fight night, which is a 29-30lb cut but is there is bigger weight cutter than Max Holloway? I don't believe anyone else in history comes close to Max...is there?

PS, against Jose Aldo, Max weighed in on fight night at 178lbs, gaining a whopping 33 lbs, or a 23% weight gain. Costa, for example, gained 15.5% whereas Till gained 18%

Last edited:
Rumble-Johnson-Welterweight.jpg

Unless you have actual numbers to back up your claims, like CSAC putting out fight night weights, this is all speculation and...now in the lightweights.

I don’t think it’s the worse we’ll ever see. I think this problem will get worse before it gets better.

Even if Holloway weight wise isn’t the largest cutter, he probably was percentage wise. Certainly an argument has to be made that he could be one of the unhealthiest cutters given the situation that occurred before the Holloway fight.

I don’t know the numbers, but McGregor does come to mind as he cuts to welterweight, and originally fought 25 lbs lighter at feather weight. At the time he must have been dropping 35-40 pounds

Holloway is one of the biggest cutters
145lbs at weighin vs Aldo
178lbs the next day

Unless you have actual numbers to back up your claims, like CSAC putting out fight night weights, this is all speculation and...now in the lightweights.
I know you're a mod and I shouldn't bash you ... but they've published those numbers on twitter.

https://apmma.net/costa-romero-gained-over-10-of-their-body-weight-ahead-ufc-241/

If ESPN hadn't confirmed those numbers, they absolutely would not let that guy keep his twitter post up.

Paulo Costa weighed 213.8 pounds in the cage. And you moved* this guys thread because you weren't aware of the information?

So quick to put in the lightweights when this is a legit discusstion

Max Holloway weighed in at 145lbs against Jose Aldo and then before the fight, he weighed 178lbs, which is 33lbs more. So he gained 23% of his body weight. No one else comes close and with Till being 200, that's 18%

I know you're a mod and I shouldn't bash you ... but they've published those numbers on twitter.

https://apmma.net/costa-romero-gained-over-10-of-their-body-weight-ahead-ufc-241/

If ESPN hadn't confirmed those numbers, they absolutely would not let that guy keep his twitter post up.

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1163253725852340224&ref_url=https://apmma.net/costa-romero-gained-over-10-of-their-body-weight-ahead-ufc-241/

Paulo Costa weighed 213.8 pounds in the cage. And you moved* this guys thread because you weren't aware of the information?
Quick trigger mods, what can you say.

Yes, Costa gains about 15.5% of his weigh in weight back. Holloway, against Aldo, gained a whopping 23%. To put that into perspective, Costa would need to weigh 227.5lbs on fight night to match Holloway

I literally said "like CSAC putting out fight night weights." You even quoted me saying that.

The problem is, that's only three or four events worth of fights and numbers, and none include fights from Darren Till or Max Holloway. Thus, the only comparison we have is from interviews where someone like Big John said that Cormier gained 30/40 pounds after weighing in at LHW.

I literally said "like CSAC putting out fight night weights." You even quoted me saying that.

The problem is, that's only three or four events worth of fights and numbers, and none include fights from Darren Till or Max Holloway. Thus, the only comparison we have is from interviews where someone like Big John said that Cormier gained 30/40 pounds after weighing in at LHW.
And Big John is legit because he reffed said fights and was there to see the fighters during the fight night weigh ins. Cormier doesn't dispute it as he has said it himself, he weighs around 230-236 at LHW. When Max was asked if he walked into the cage at 170+, all he did was smile and said "I know the answer but you don't need to know" and laughed.

When Max was asked if he walked into the cage at 170+, all he did was smile and said "I know the answer but you don't need to know" and laughed.
That doesn't mean anything. We can guess and speculate and ponder, but until we actually have the numbers it's just the same rehashed topic with people saying "I bet so and so cuts a lot of weight."

Rumble and it's not even close. He used to get CARRIED to the weigh ins by his team and that's when they allowed IV re-hydration. I have no idea how he fought at 170 for so long without dying

Holloway is one of the biggest cutters
145lbs at weighin vs Aldo
178lbs the next day
Is that even true or just a rumour? Have yet to see actual facts like CSAC releasing numbers and not just his coaches bragging about his weight.

The CSAC aren't the only ones that can confirm this information. This information seems reliable.

ESPN is a reputable source. They're not going to let their name be used to spread misinformation like that. And considering ESPN are partnering with the UFC to distribute this PPV, it makes perfect sense that they would have access to this information.

If this fight wasn't in California, I'd agree that we should take such information with a grain of salt.

I believe the last event we have fight weights for was de Randamie vs Ladd, right? And that was in California. To my knowledge the CSAC is the only governing body that reliably makes fight-night weights public. So it makes sense that we might not have such information for Darren Till or Max Holloway, as they didn't fight in California.

This isn't ESPN weighing the fighters -- it's the CSAC. However, the CSAC pass that information on to the UFC, who presumably also give this information to ESPN.

ESPN is a reputable source. They're not going to let their name be used to spread misinformation like that. And considering ESPN are partnering with the UFC to distribute this PPV, it makes perfect sense that they would have access to this information.
What are you trying to argue? I don't understand what you're aiming at. The numbers that ESPN put out are directly from the California State Athletic Commission, and California is the only state that is attempting to gather and release fight night weights.

Those numbers from Raimondi weren't up for dispute, but rather that they're practically the only numbers we have. How can we say for certain or get even close that this or that fighter is the "largest weight cutter in the history of the UFC" when we have four events totaling less than 100 fighters, and a couple interviews from a current Bellator employee about UFC fighters' weights, for our entire body of information? That's why this is in the LWs, because it's all "I bet this fighter cuts a lot of weight" which doesn't mean anything.

How DARE no one here even mention Tibau?

We all knew he cut a crazy amount of weight, but Yves Edwards said that sometimes when asked about his weight he'd say he was 190-195, but then would be reluctant when people asked him to step on the scale because he was actually like 200-205, and dude was a 155er haha.

What are you trying to argue? I don't understand what you're aiming at. The numbers that ESPN put out are directly from the California State Athletic Commission, and California is the only state that is attempting to gather and release fight night weights.

Those numbers from Raimondi weren't up for dispute, but rather that they're practically the only numbers we have. How can we say for certain or get even close that this or that fighter is the "largest weight cutter in the history of the UFC" when we have four events totaling less than 100 fighters, and a couple interviews from a current Bellator employee about UFC fighters' weights, for our entire body of information? That's why this is in the LWs, because it's all "I bet this fighter cuts a lot of weight" which doesn't mean anything.

You'll be awfully busy should you continue to redirect posts based upon perceived factual proof of content.

Back