Law Latino SDG&E Line Man Sues Utility For Firing After False "White Supremacy" Accusation Went Viral

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
The most disgusting part about this story is that the (White) SJW who ruined this (Hispanic) man's life simply deleted his twitter and moved on once he found out that the "White Supremacist flashing a White Power hand sign" that he got fired turned out to be a Latino cracking his knuckles.

Two weeks ago he bravely contacted San Diego Gas & Electric to cancel this line man, but then went in hiding like a little bitch instead of doing anything to undo the damage he had caused. :mad:

I hope Emmanuel will get a massive payday from SDG&E, and then use some of that money to track down Mr. David Bentley and sue him for ruining his life, so punk-ass little David would think twice about doing it again to another person.
----

San Diego Gas & Electric line man fired for "white power sign" even though accuser retracted false charge
By Dorian Hargrove

Emmanuel Cafferty is not a white supremacist. If he were, he would subscribe to a doctrine wherein he admits his own inferiority, as Cafferty is of mostly Mexican descent.

But during a June 3 drive home from his job as an underground line locator for San Diego Gas & Electric, Cafferty was labeled just that.

Seconds after an unidentified man snapped a photo of Cafferty allegedly flashing a white power gesture during his drive home, Cafferty transformed from a hard-working father to a bigot. The San Diego native became the latest poster boy for online shaming and a victim of so-called cancel culture.

Now, more than four months later, still unemployed and without many job opportunities, Cafferty continues his struggle to peel off the label that has stuck to him and his family.

In early October, Cafferty submitted a complaint to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the first step towards a legal claim, against his employer, one of Southern California’s wealthiest and most powerful companies, in hopes of repairing his tattered reputation.

Emmanuel-Cafferty-tweets_t720.jpg

A man named David Bentley accused Cafferty of displaying the OK hand gesture, which in recent years has become linked to the white power movement (because it can be looked at as the letters W and P.) He urged SDG&E to take action.

Bad time to crack his knuckles

June 3, 2020; mass protests erupted across the country over the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis Police officers. Dozens of people gathered at the intersection of Pomerado and Twin Peaks roads in Poway to demonstrate.

Cafferty passed the gathering on his way home to Ramona. He then made a u-turn to get to a fast-food restaurant for an iced tea. But he changed his mind because of the traffic from the protest. Instead, Cafferty parked in a nearby parking lot to fill out his time sheet.

He drove off after completing his paperwork for the day. A mile and a half down the road, a man in the car next to him began yelling at him. The motorist pointed his cellphone at him, urging Cafferty to keep flashing the hand gesture. Cafferty, with his hand out of the window, looked at him and shrugged. The driver continued to yell before he sped off. Cafferty debated with himself over whether to call his supervisor about the incident before deciding against it.

Little did Cafferty know; the motorist was doing that for him. As Cafferty drove home, the man logged on to Twitter and posted an image of Cafferty, with his left-hand dangling outside of the driver’s window.

The motorist, a man named David Bentley, accused Cafferty of displaying the OK hand gesture, which in recent years has become linked to the white power movement (because it can be looked at as the letters W and P). He urged SDG&E to take action.

In a Twitter response, SDG&E wrote, “Please DM us the location so that we can look into it further. We assure you that at SDG&E, we believe strongly there is no place in our society for discrimination of any kind….”

By the time Cafferty arrived at his home, word of a racist SDG&E worker flashing a white power symbol at anti-racism protesters had traveled across the internet.

“I have called your service line and made a complaint. They have all of the info,” read Bentley’s June 3 tweet.

It wasn’t until Cafferty’s supervisors called him that he learned about the accusations leveled against him.

That evening, Cafferty says, two supervisors came to his home to get his truck, his laptop, and his badge. They told him that SDG&E had launched an investigation and that he needed to report for an interview the following morning.

Cafferty assumed the interview would be his chance to clear up any misinformation.

“I’m a person of color,” Cafferty told me during an October interview. He rocked back and forth as he remembered the day. “If you look at the picture the guy took, I wasn’t doing the white power sign. I thought those two things would be the end of it and I would be exonerated. Not to mention the fact that I support Black Lives Matter.”

Cafferty was wrong.

Shortly after the interview began, He sensed that a decision had already been made. “The first thing the interviewer said was that there were too many holes in my story,” Cafferty recalled. “Here my own company is, comparing my story with some white man who posted these images and his words appear to weigh heavier than mine. That, to me, is discrimination. I remember asking the interviewer, ‘Did you look into this guy? Did you see all of his controversial tweets?’ You know, he called Donald Trump the antichrist 13 times the same day he posted the pictures of me. It didn’t seem to matter.”

Two days later, after a second interview, SDG&E fired Cafferty for violating the company’s public image policy. Now unemployed and possibly unemployable, Cafferty says that single Twitter post changed his life forever. Left with few options, Cafferty has decided to fight what’s come to be known as “cancel culture.” He has done interviews in national publications, and will be featured in an upcoming HBO documentary.

Aim and shame

Public shaming of celebrities and politicians has existed for millennia. In the internet era, the shaming has intensified. Online heckling and harassment has moved from celebrities to everyday people.

“We now live in a society where people have learned they have the ability to destroy or ruin lives with a keypad. They are all quick to judge and slow to consider the truth behind a screen or a story,” says Sue Scheff, an Florida resident, internet safety expert, and author of Shame Nation: The Global Epidemic of Online Hate.

Scheff says the cancel culture has transitioned from focusing on celebrities and sports stars to everyone, and in some cases, as is the case with Cafferty, wrongly so. “We live in an aim-and-shame culture, adds Scheff. “Wherever we go, there is someone quick to record you at your worst moment. Or maybe you are being tagged inappropriately. Worse, maybe someone looks similar to you and others believe it’s you, and the internet works at lightning speed, your reputation can be gone in minutes.”

Scheff says that repairing the damage from online shaming is neither quick nor easy. “There are some cases where it has taken a victim years to repair the damage done,” added Scheff. “As someone that was a victim of internet defamation and shaming, it took me well over a year to clean up my online reputation, and I am constantly self-aware of my online presence.”

Cafferty knows that all too well. Hours after the Twitter post went viral, he said friends and family logged onto Twitter in an effort to correct the misinformation and curb the shaming. “He is a Mexican man cracking his knuckles,” wrote one family member. “You can clearly see that his fingers aren’t even in the right position to be a white supremacist sign. Or, are you too so ready to ruin anyone’s life that you refuse to see the truth right in front of you?”

But Bentley, Cafferty’s accuser, did not see it that way. “LET IT GO,” he wrote in response. “We have a difference of opinion. If I was cracking my knuckles, I would not have my arm fully extended and use the tip of my finger to do so. What I saw was someone flashing a sign that was inappropriate for what was going on around us.”

Cafferty’s own father, not a Twitter user, decided to confront his son’s accuser the old-fashioned way, in a letter. “We raised our son to be hardworking, ethical, empathetic, kind and of good character,” wrote Cafferty’s father in a June 11, 2020, letter obtained by the Reader. “I was a firefighter and my wife is a social worker who works with vulnerable families.”

Cafferty’s father explained the reason for his son’s hand gestures that day. “We first noted our son fidgeting with his fingers since he was 12 years old. He would stretch and he would constantly crack his knuckles and tap his fingers one by one. Occasionally, he would do both hands at the same time. I would often tease him and say you are doing hand exercises to play video games but I am still going to win. For you to take a lifelong quirk and turn it into something SINISTER has negatively impacted the trajectory of our son’s life.... which has destroyed his family’s livelihood.”

Continued Cafferty’s father, “The irony is you profess to stand for social justice but then you used your WHITE PRIVILEGE to get a person of color fired within hours of your untruthful accusations. You embellished your story to tell the narrative that you wanted! It would have been less cruel if you would have walked up to him and hit him over the head with a HAMMER!

Perhaps you should ponder that day with a RATIONAL MIND and truly revisit your heightened state and do the right thing!”

By June 15, less than two weeks after Bentley posted the image of Cafferty on Twitter, Bentley recanted his accusation against Cafferty to a reporter from NBC San Diego. He told the reporter he must have been “spun up” when posting the image of Cafferty on Twitter.

The damage, however, had been done. SDG&E refused to reverse Cafferty’s firing. “SDG&E stands by its decision to ultimately terminate Mr. Cafferty’s employment after a careful and good faith investigation,” said a company spokesperson. “While our investigation was initiated because a customer reported that Mr. Cafferty had made what appeared to be a white power hand gesture in the vicinity of a Black Lives Matter protest, that was not the full extent of our inquiry.

“After a thorough investigation involving multiple interviews and a detailed review of other information, including GPS data, Mr. Cafferty’s employment was terminated due to a number of considerations, including that he was only six months into his nine-month probationary period, he did not have a satisfactory explanation for why he was in the vicinity of the protest in a company vehicle, he violated company policy by engaging with the customer who took his picture, and he failed to report the incident to his supervisor. We are proud of our commitment to diversity and inclusion and remain steadfast in our approach to the investigation of Mr. Cafferty’s behavior, which was conducted in a manner consistent with our values of respect, fairness, and integrity.”

Cafferty is not convinced. “It all makes me feel so insignificant,” he told me. “It makes me feel like I am so worthless that fidgeting my hands is enough to get me fired.”

And while shedding the stigma that he is a racist is one thing, Cafferty says he is also having to defend his work ethic by proving that SDG&E didn’t have other reasons to fire him.

“It doesn’t seem fair,” Cafferty says. “I think a lot of people feel like, ‘Well, where there’s smoke, there’s fire. That there’s no way a corporation like SDG&E would have taken this action without some other reason.’ I know people say that they must have found other things. They didn’t, because there is nothing else. I worked hard to get that job, and I was happy.”

Online shaming expert Scheff says that those posting accusations online in an attempt to call someone out for some untoward behavior should think twice before going public. “Engaging in online shaming is a reflection of our own offline and online character. It’s not attractive. We all need to take a moment to consider the situation before we jump to conclusions. When in doubt, I say, click-out.”

Cafferty’s attorney Larry Shea believes his client’s only option is to take legal action. He says that the company’s refusal to look at Bentley’s retraction as well as Cafferty’s heritage shows that something much bigger may be at play.

“All we wanted was Emmanuel Cafferty’s job back. If SDG&E did that, we were willing to just walk away. But they didn’t do it. They won’t do it. They wouldn’t even discuss it. So, it’s almost like he’s not important enough for that kind of a resolution.

“SDG&E knows this guy [Bentley] backpedaled once he found out he was accusing an Hispanic of being a white supremacist,” said Shea. “The company has no evidence that Cafferty is a white supremacist. None whatsoever. And, that’s because he isn’t. It’s ludicrous to even suggest such a thing. We’re all wrestling with this concept of, what is systemic racism? But to me, it exists when persons of color just don’t count as much. It’s not like 1950s racism, where someone is targeted because of race. It’s more insidious. It’s more structural. It’s denial of equal personal worth. Emmanuel Cafferty’s case shows that [people of color] just aren’t important enough to warrant a thorough investigation at SDG&E. Without any facts showing Cafferty did anything whatsoever wrong, SDG&E sacrificed him to the online mob so that the mob would move on to something else and leave SDG&E alone. That kind of cowardice only shows SDG&E didn’t feel his job was significant enough to defend even when all the facts prove he is innocent. When the accuser recanted, Cafferty still wasn’t important enough to warrant reconsideration. He just isn’t important enough to be treated fairly.”

“It’s impossible to say how much this has affected me,” Cafferty laments. “How do I measure it? I don’t know. One thing I do know is that I hate every minute of this. I hate doing these interviews, and I hate having to defend myself against something that is not true.”

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2020/nov/25/cover-sdge-line-man-fired-white-power-sign/

Last edited:
SDG&E Employee Fired Over Alleged White Supremacist Hand Sign is a Latino
By Arturo Castañares |La Prensa San Diego| April 12, 2021

pic_EC_headshot-730x300.jpg
The man who took the picture and posted it on Twitter told NBC News after the incident that he may have gotten “spun up” about the interaction with Cafferty and misinterpreted the hand gesture. The poster said he never intended for Cafferty to lose his job, and later deleted his Twitter account, but not before the damage had been done.

SDG&E reacted within hours to the online picture and said it had already “launched an investigation into this report” and that the company stands “united with those in our community fighting against racial inequity.”

La Prensa San Diego reached out to SDG&E for comment on Cafferty’s firing. The energy company responded with a statement that it stands by its “decision to ultimately terminate Mr. Cafferty’s employment after a careful and good faith investigation.”

SDG&E has provided other media outlets with similar comments generally defending Cafferty’s firing.

When La Prensa San Diego asked SDG&E clarifying questions about the allegations in the comment and for details of the findings of its investigation, the spokesperson added that “we have nothing to add to our statement.”

La Prensa San Diego chose not to included SDG&E accusations without additional clarification and details to support their statement.

An online petition asking SDG&E to reinstate him has reached nearly 10,000 signatures, yet the company refuses to review his case.
https://laprensa-sandiego.org/caffertyvsdge/
Former SDG&E worker sues utility for firing him after false White supremacy accusation went viral
By Jeff McDonald | June 4, 2021

A former utility worker who says he was a victim of “cancel culture” has sued San Diego Gas & Electric, claiming he was defamed by the company after he was accused on social media of being a White supremacist.

Emmanuel Cafferty alleges in a San Diego Superior Court lawsuit that SDG&E fired him in response to a barrage of complaints posted on Twitter last June, as millions of people across the nation responded to the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police.

The 22-page defamation complaint describes Cafferty as an Hispanic blue-collar worker of Mexican descent who grew up in National City and supports social-justice causes such as the Black Lives Matter movement.

The lawsuit says the utility ignored those points and instead focused on protecting its corporate brand, caving in to a “cancel culture flash mob” on Twitter and terminating Cafferty without conducting a proper investigation.

“In fact, the termination demonstrates racism on the part of SDG&E, which elected to publicly sacrifice Cafferty in order to shore up its own questionable reputation for social justice,” the complaint states. “The plain reading of SDG&E’s persistent and false public relations campaign is to defame Cafferty as a white supremacist whose termination was justified.”

The utility issued a brief statement Friday which did not spell out why it terminated Cafferty.

“SDG&E stands by its decision and looks forward to answering this complaint through the legal process,” the statement said.

Cafferty was wrapping up his work shift on June 3, 2020, when he was photographed allegedly making an OK sign with his left hand after driving an SDG&E truck in the vicinity of a Black Lives Matter protest that had just ended.

The hand gesture is considered by many to be a non-verbal signal of support for White supremacy. The picture was posted on Twitter with a demand that the employee be fired, and it quickly went viral.

Within hours Cafferty was called at home and informed that SDG&E managers were on their way to his house to collect his company identification and utility equipment, the lawsuit said.

He was formally terminated the following week.

The company told local and national news organizations last year — and more recently — that it takes racial justice issues seriously.

“We hold all SDG&E employees to a high standard and expect them to live up to our values every day,” the lawsuit quotes the company telling NBC 7 last year. “We conducted a good-faith and thorough investigation that included gathering relevant information and multiple interviews and took appropriate action.”

But according to Cafferty, the SDG&E investigation was not conducted in good faith.

Company officials never explained what Cafferty did wrong, the lawsuit said, and they failed to interview supervisors who had known him for years and could have vouched for him.

The complaint also notes that the man who posted the original photo withdrew his accusation against Cafferty within days.

The claim also accuses SDG&E’s senior management of making an example of Cafferty to distract from its own shortcomings.

“SDG&E, led by this nervous white executive team, was desperate to mischaracterize the events in order to virtue-signal its cynical commitment to social justice by sacrificing a Latino blue-collar and powerless worker, Cafferty, as proof of SDG&E’s cleanliness from the original sin of systemic racism,” the lawsuit stated.

The lawsuit also said SDG&E was in the midst of critical negotiations with the city of San Diego over its franchise agreement and that terms of any new agreement had become a key issue in the looming mayoral and city council elections.

“There was growing support among increasingly powerful progressives, including among San Diego’s most vocal social-justice activists, for the SDG&E expired franchise agreement to be non-renewed,” the lawsuit said.

The notion of “cancel culture” is not new, though it has become prevalent in recent months.

Two weeks ago, the Associated Press fired a young reporter for pro-Palestinian comments she had posted on social media while she was attending college. The firing came after a Republican student group organized a campaign to oust her.

Last summer, after the CEO of Goya Foods appeared at a White House event and praised then-President Donald Trump, liberal consumers organized a boycott of the company that persisted for weeks.

Cafferty is 47 and lives in Ramona. In his lawsuit, he is seeking an unspecified amount of general and punitive damages, as well as court costs, attorney’s fees and other relief.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...m-after-white-supremacy-accusation-went-viral

Last edited:
Those online grifters who gang up on him should be electrocuted,

I know quite a few people who have posted vile white supremacist shit on their Facebook but dont get fired.

But just have random jerks online accuse you of being Nazi without any evidence and you get fired?

His employer should be sued hard.

SDG&E Worker Fired Over Alleged Racist Gesture Says He Was Cracking Knuckles

Emmanuel-Cafferty-tweets_t720.jpg

NBC 7 spoke to the man who originally posted the picture on Twitter. He has since deleted his account and said he may have gotten "spun up" about the interaction and misinterpreted it. He says he never intended for Cafferty to lose his job.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/lo...esture-says-he-was-cracking-knuckles/2347414/

Many People Don’t Care About What’s True Anymore. That’s Dangerous.
By Ilana Redstone
In early June, San Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E) employee Emmanuel Cafferty was in a company truck driving near a Black Lives Matter rally. His left hand was hanging out the open window. A fellow traveler on the road photographed him and posted it to Twitter. The Twittersphere concluded that, based on the positioning of Cafferty’s hand and fingers, he was making a gesture that some consider a sign of allegiance with white power. Shortly after the incident became public, Cafferty was fired.

Did SDG&E do the right thing? After all, no one wants an avowed white supremacist in their midst. However, Cafferty says he wasn’t aware that the positioning of his fingers might be construed as signifying support for white power. He says he was simply cracking his knuckles. And, as he noted in an interview, “If I was a white supremacist… I would literally have to hate 75 percent of myself.”

Merriam-Webster defines true as “being in accordance with the actual state of affairs.” So what was true here? The reporting on Cafferty has not surfaced evidence that he actually held any of the ideologies that were attributed to him. There do not appear to have been any old racist tweets or Facebook posts or accusations of racism rattling around in his past.

Once the incident became public, SDG&E had to make a choice. On the one hand, they could have believed that Cafferty was just cracking his knuckles with no intent to convey anything racist. That would lead to two possibilities:

1. If he really was just a knuckle-cracker and not a white supremacist, then they would make the right decision and everyone would move on.

2. If he was truly a white supremacist and was using knuckling cracking as an excuse, then they would let a man stay on who they should fire.

On the other hand, they could have concluded that Cafferty was lying. Then, two other possibilities would emerge.

3. If he really was a knuckle-cracker and not a white supremacist, they would fire a man who had done nothing wrong.

4. If he actually was a white supremacist, they would remove an undesirable employee from their ranks.

SDG&E fired Cafferty, thereby ensuring that outcome 3 or 4 would occur. But did they actually conclude he was lying? In the absence of any other evidence of Cafferty being racist, this is difficult to imagine. So why would SDG&E choose this path? One grim possibility is that they simply decided it didn’t matter what was true.

Public perception carries an outsized amount of weight and, in the current climate, outcome #2 (or the perception of outcome #2)—letting a racist continue as an employee—has become something to be avoided regardless of the cost. From an organizational or business standpoint, being viewed as weak on issues of race is perilous. However, an organization that would rather fire a man with a strong claim of innocence rather than face down a Twitter mob that has issued a rushed judgement of guilt has decided that what’s true no longer matters.

SDG&E isn’t alone in prioritizing public perception over truth. A similar dynamic played out in the same month in Oakland, CA when five ropes were found hanging from trees in a city park. When asked about the ropes, the mayor of Oakland, as quoted by ABC affiliate KCRG news, said “Intentions don’t matter when it comes to terrorizing the public…The symbolism of the rope hanging in the tree is malicious regardless of intent. It’s evil, and it symbolizes hatred.” However, the same KCRG news article continued: “Victor Sengbe, who is Black, told KGO-TV that the ropes were part of a rigging that he and his friends used as part of a larger swing system. He also shared video of the swing in use.” Sengbe was then quoted as saying, “Out of the dozen and hundreds and thousands of people that walked by, no one has thought that it looked anywhere close to a noose. Folks have used it for exercise. It was really a fun addition to the park that we tried to create.”

Should the ropes have been left up? Insisting that their true purpose didn’t matter is perilous. It is certainly the case that condemning and combating racism is necessary. But actions to achieve those goals must be consistent with what’s actually true. We have to get to a place where making decisions based on that truth is an important value.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ilanar...about-whats-true-anymore-thats-dangerous/amp/

Last edited:
I hope he gets a huge payday out of this and fuck people responsible for this, whiny little bitches.
Yep. I hope he gets a million at least.
This is the world that the retards want and it looks pretty awful. Thought crimes all around.
And that guy that took this picture needs a good old fashion Ava he bearing for being a stupid little batch

World gone mad.

I issue a challenge to 4chan to turn thumbs up gesture into White Supremacist hand symbol.

I live in SD and they pay their line workers really well. While I don’t believe he did anything wrong, nothing surprises me anymore. It’s sad that people have the time and effort to go out of their way to ruin lives. Crazy that companies dispose of workers because of crazy morons.

Good, I hope he fucking tears them to shreds, we need more of this shit.

Stupidity of the highest order, hope he takes them to the cleaners.

Also supporting him. And any lefties that proclaim to support the rights of workers over the rights of corporations should too.

Good I hope he never has to work I day in his life after the settlement.

Also the ass hole that started this needs to be exposed and their life ruined. Fire with fire.

The guy that started it apologized. I sympathize with that. Cancel culture gets out of control. You post what you thought was just a bad interaction on social media, and the next thing you know there is a million person torch mob marching to that mans house to trial him for witchcraft.

Last edited:
I’d love to see the piece of shit who took that picture to begin with.

Hope that dude gets paid.

What a total fucking joke.

Good, hope they lose a ton of money. I hope a ton more in punitive so other corporations see.

Also doesn't anyone see the utter retardation in taking an innocuous gesture, deciding that it stands for white supremacy, and then try to read it into everything they encounter in their daily lives?

Drinking water is a sign of white supremacy. Be on the lookout for Nazis making this lewd gesture

Twitter is a tumor

Good, hope they lose a ton of money. I hope a ton more in punitive so other corporations see.

Also doesn't anyone see the utter retardation in taking an innocuous gesture, deciding that it stands for white supremacy, and then try to read it into everything they encounter in their daily lives?

Drinking water is a sign of white supremacy. Be on the lookout for Nazis making this lewd gesture

Twitter is a tumor

Twitter will go down as one of the most destructive inventions of mankind, one day. An absolute oozing cancerous cyst on the face of society.

Shows you how dumb people are to genuinely believe the 'OK' symbol (or something resembling it mid knuckle-crack) is Nazi despite the fact it's a well known hoax from 4chan back in 2017. They literally flooded Twitter with posts to make people believe false information. I guess lefties were so jubilant at the idea of having a new symbol to police people over, they just couldn't let the opportunity go. The hate crime demand is just too high, and supply is scarce.

Back