Leandro Lo confirmed brain dead after shooting.

That makes sense. I would have been surprised if he was BOPE, from my understanding, they are a lot more selective about the kind of person they accept into that particular unit. Also I could be totally wrong, but someone once told me that every officer of BOPE has to be a blackbelt first. Not to say a blackbelt can't be a scumbag, it does happen, but it is somewhat rare. Lots more scumbag purplebelts out there, like the one who did this. Sorry purples! I'm only kidding. Kinda.
A guy from my wife's family is a BOPE, and he doesn't even train Jiujitsu.
No black belt requirements for BOPE.

A guy from my wife's family is a BOPE, and he doesn't even train Jiujitsu.
No black belt requirements for BOPE.

Dang. There goes my inflated image of
BOPE officers.

A Ninjitsu blackbelt maybe? Does he own a copy of The Art of War or The Book of Five Rings?

Can he make a convincing mean face at least?

Not to say a blackbelt can't be a scumbag, it does happen, but it is somewhat rare. Lots more scumbag purplebelts out there, like the one who did this. Sorry purples! I'm only kidding. Kinda.

As a purple, I pull turtle guard on this presumption. Training any martial art, let alone a grueling one like BJJ tends to make people more humble but ultimately people are people. And while I've witnessed douchebaggery from all belt colors, I think the "papal infallibility" that BBs are allowed at many gyms can lead to bad behavior i.e. a scumbag purple is likely to become an even bigger scumbag at BB because he'll have greater license to practice his idiosyncracies.

But frankly, posturing for a fight as a purple seems pretty unusual to me. This might be expected from a white belt with 3 months training who thinks he's Billy Badass. But by purple, most are humbled from years on the mats and are at least 50% gay by that point.

Last edited:
As a purple, I pull turtle guard on this presumption. Training any martial art, let alone a grueling one like BJJ tends to make people more humble but ultimately people are people. And while I've witnessed douchebaggery from all belt colors, I think the "papal infallibility" that BBs are allowed at many gyms can lead to bad behavior i.e. a scumbag purple is likely to become an even bigger scumbag at BB because he'll have greater license to practice his idiosyncracies.

But frankly, posturing for a fight as a purple seems pretty unusual to me. This might be expected from a white belt with 3 months training who thinks he's Billy Badass. But by purple, most are humbled from years on the mats and are at least 50% gay by that point.
I think he was bad ass cop first in his head , them purple belt second. I don’t know how seriously he trained too . I’m a brown but only train 2 week nowadays .

I think of Purplebelt as right about when people start getting dangerous. They are not necessarily the most in control though, just they have the weapons now, & their energy starts getting kind of supercharged. By blackbelt, there is (hypothetically) some wisdom which has settled in, & balanced out this power they have amassed. Control is now the dominant element, not dangerousness. But at purple, it is still wild. Of course, there are exceptions to all of this, and none of these are hard set rules anyway, just poetic musings with maybe some real-world reflection in them.

TL/DR: a Brownbelt wouldn't have done this sh*t

Unsurprisingly, this has been heavily discussed in the Grappling sub-forum. Apparently, the cop was drunk and walked up to Lo's table. He took one of the bottles there and drank from it. He then got in Lo's face and basically challenged him to do something about it.

Lo used minimum force to take the cop down and immobilise him until he seemed to have calmed down. The cop walked away from the table, but then circled back on Lo's blind side and shot him in the head at close range.

It's obvious the cop, who apparently is a Purple in BJJ himself, was looking for an excuse to hurt someone. It's entirely possible that even if Lo had just tried to ignore him, he would have kept escalating until Lo was forced to defend himself. His ego could not deal with being effortlessly taken down by a far superior fighter, so he murdered Lo. A pathetic, cowardly little man who's own fate, I sincerely hope, will be both painful and humiliating.

The pig couldn’t live with the humiliation. There is no way a purple belt would think they’d have anything for Lo unless they were a purple belt AND decent striker. When the cop got embarrassed publicly, that’s when Lo’s fate was secured.

Only 50% Gay?;)

That's seriously fucked up.
I saw the footage of him being carried out of the club on a stretcher, just blood and mayhem. It's seriously fucked up. He was already dead or dying, and people just couldn't believe it.

There are actual devils walking around among us. I used to not believe in good and evil, but bought the whole liberal idea of shades of grey, that everyone has some good in them... This cop was an EVIL person.

The cop was mentally ill. A pyschopath who was lucky enough to be a cop.

That makes sense. I would have been surprised if he was BOPE, from my understanding, they are a lot more selective about the kind of person they accept into that particular unit. Also I could be totally wrong, but someone once told me that every officer of BOPE has to be a blackbelt first. Not to say a blackbelt can't be a scumbag, it does happen, but it is somewhat rare. Lots more scumbag purplebelts out there, like the one who did this. Sorry purples! I'm only kidding. Kinda.
Judging by the black belts humans I know they aren't any better humans then the people who don't train.

I think of Purplebelt as right about when people start getting dangerous. They are not necessarily the most in control though, just they have the weapons now, & their energy starts getting kind of supercharged. By blackbelt, there is (hypothetically) some wisdom which has settled in, & balanced out this power they have amassed. Control is now the dominant element, not dangerousness. But at purple, it is still wild. Of course, there are exceptions to all of this, and none of these are hard set rules anyway, just poetic musings with maybe some real-world reflection in them.

TL/DR: a Brownbelt wouldn't have done this sh*t

Lol. Maybe I have a different perspective because I had years of wrestling and Judo before transitioning to BJJ and can claim shit wrestling, shit Judo AND shit BJJ in my well-rounded game of complete dogshit. But I've never attributed personality traits to belt colors. Belt rank is an indication of skills and experience in that specific art, but humility and "wisdom" comes from life experience independent of training. At my gym there are older white belts who are super humble, eager to learn and devoid of ego and that comes from them having been around the block 100 times in life. OTOH a 20 year old purple is more likely to be cocky with something to prove but that's because he's still a kid, the belt rank is incidental.

BJJ tends to attract adults starting in their 20's, 30's and 40's which leads to some wild disparities in life experience across each belt color. And I'm down with that. I have no desire to train like I did in my teens and 20's when every roll was a competition. I'm too old for that shit.

Last edited:
Lol. Maybe I have a different perspective because I had years of wrestling and Judo before transitioning to BJJ and can claim shit wrestling, shit Judo AND shit BJJ in my well-rounded game of complete dogshit. But I've never attributed personality characteristics to belt colors. Belt rank is an indication of skills and experience in that specific art, but humility and "wisdom" comes from life experience independent of training. At my gym there are older white belts who are super humble, eager to learn and devoid of ego and that comes from them having been around the block 100 times in life. OTOH a 20 year old purple is more likely to be cocky with something to prove, but that comes from him being a kid, the belt rank is incidental.

BJJ tends to have more adults starting in their 20's, 30's and 40's which leads to some wild disparities in life experience at each belt color. And I'm down with that. I have no desire to train like I did in my teens and 20's when every roll was a competition. I'm too old for that shit.

Reminds me of a conversation my Professor had with one of his Blue Belts,

Blue Belt, "BJJ for life! I'm never going to stop training and competing!"

Professor, "Yeah, your 17. Tell me that in ten years, when you have a full time job, maybe a family, and you've had to recover from a couple of bad injuries".

Judging by the black belts humans I know they aren't any better humans then the people who don't train.

Lol. Maybe I have a different perspective because I had years of wrestling and Judo before transitioning to BJJ and can claim shit wrestling, shit Judo AND shit BJJ in my well-rounded game of complete dogshit. But I've never attributed personality characteristics to belt colors. Belt rank is an indication of skills and experience in that specific art, but humility and "wisdom" comes from life experience independent of training. At my gym there are older white belts who are super humble, eager to learn and devoid of ego and that comes from them having been around the block 100 times in life. OTOH a 20 year old purple is more likely to be cocky with something to prove but that's because he's still a kid, the belt rank is incidental.

BJJ tends to attract adults starting in their 20's, 30's and 40's which leads to some wild disparities in life experience across each belt color. And I'm down with that. I have no desire to train like I did in my teens and 20's when every roll was a competition. I'm too old for that shit.

I guess it is also a matter of perspective, to some degree. A few of the blackbelts I know, sometimes someone will be like 'he's such a dickhead', and I think, you should have known him back when he was a bluebelt... he's much better now, this is actually a drastic improvement

<6>

I guess it is also a matter of perspective, to some degree. A few of the blackbelts I know, sometimes someone will be like 'he's such a dickhead', and I think, you should have known him back when he was a bluebelt... he's much better now, this is actually a drastic improvement

<6>

However bad that guy was as a blue, can you imagine the same guy, at the same age with a black belt around his waist instead?

However bad that guy was as a blue, can you imagine the same guy, at the same age with a black belt around his waist instead?

It's definitely true that fight prowess doesn't translate to a quality human being. Jon Jones is walking proof of that.

At least, I hope he's walking. Not so safe behind a wheel

It's definitely true that fight prowess doesn't translate to a quality human being. Jon Jones is walking proof of that.

At least, I hope he's walking. Not so safe behind a wheel

OTOH Jon Jones may support the belt color astrology paradigm. He was a stanky white belt when he committed the hit and run on the pregnant lady and his first steroid suspension. He was a mouth breather blue belt when he KTFOed Cormier on turinabol. And he was a dickbag purple when he was arrested for beating up his fiancee and then trying to KTFO the hood of the patrol car via headbutt. Can't wait to see what he does at brown.

Jon Jones would be a police officer if MMA career wasn't lucrative and available for everyone. (I just checked Wikipedia and the statement regarding his future plan of becoming police officer as a teen has been removed. )

About purple belt

When Ricardo Arona was purple, I'm sure he could overwhelm more than 95% of black belts especially in no-gi.

Mundial absolute division champ was defeated at ADCC 2000 by Tito Ortiz who didn't have an official BJJ status. (According to Joe Moreira who coached him then, Tito was good enough to be purple.)

According to the assessment of Keenan Cornelius, Rickson Gracie is a tough purple belt.

Ryan Gracie stabbed someone at a night club after verbal altercation. He was purple belt from another academy.

”belts don't matter” - Rener Gracie.

OTOH Jon Jones may support the belt color astrology paradigm. He was a stanky white belt when he committed the hit and run on the pregnant lady and his first steroid suspension. He was a mouth breather blue belt when he KTFOed Cormier on turinabol. And he was a dickbag purple when he was arrested for beating up his fiancee and then trying to KTFO the hood of the patrol car via headbutt. Can't wait to see what he does at brown.
Wasn't knocking out Cormier actually his job?

Back