Leandro Lo confirmed brain dead after shooting.

Wasn't knocking out Cormier actually his job?

It would be if he could do it without melting his urine sample cup. That was his third suspension. I'm not naive enough to think many other fighters aren't using but Jones stands alone in the number of transgressions he's been caught making in and out of the cage.

I had acess to the police report, it says the off duty officer was drunk and stealing bottles of booze from Lo’s table and saying to Lo “what are you going to do”, then Lo took him down and told him to chill and let him free. The guy pretended to go away, circled the table and shoot Lo on the left side of the forehead.

omg what a coward pus$y pos

Jon Jones would be a police officer if MMA career wasn't lucrative and available for everyone. (I just checked Wikipedia and the statement regarding his future plan of becoming police officer as a teen has been removed. )

About purple belt

When Ricardo Arona was purple, I'm sure he could overwhelm more than 95% of black belts especially in no-gi.

Mundial absolute division champ was defeated at ADCC 2000 by Tito Ortiz who didn't have an official BJJ status. (According to Joe Moreira who coached him then, Tito was good enough to be purple.)

According to the assessment of Keenan Cornelius, Rickson Gracie is a tough purple belt.

Ryan Gracie stabbed someone at a night club after verbal altercation. He was purple belt from another academy.

”belts don't matter” - Rener Gracie.

I've always believed that belts kind of matter but they also kind of don't, and the latter applies more so to elite competitors and those with prior training in other grappling styles. Of course there are outliers in the rank and file (and there are certainly some at my gym) but more often than not, hobbyists are graded appropriately IMHO.

I've always believed that belts kind of matter but they also kind of don't, and the latter applies more so to elite competitors and those with prior training in other grappling styles. Of course there are outliers in the rank and file (and there are certainly some at my gym) but more often than not, hobbyists are graded appropriately IMHO.

Agreed. Belt ranking system was adopted to keep school boys from civilian families motivated. Real samurai would be too embarrassed to wear a ”badassness indicator” around the waist.

Belts in BJJ pretty much indicate how well they would do in dojo spar but you never know what'd happen in a fight or no-gi grappling. Some super elite BJJ players show no interest in MMA or quit after one fight because BJJ doesn't work well against the guys who learned the basics.

In judo, nobody makes assumptions based on the belt you're wearing because almost everybody after a couple of years of training is promoted to black belt. The belt literally means nothing. Many Japanese teenagers get second degree black belt before graduating high school.

AReal samurai would be too embarrassed to wear a ”badassness indicator” around the waist.
Off topic, but the pedant in me is screaming out for satisfaction; imagine extending the belt system to every piece of clothing, adding an infuriating amount of minutia, divorcing it from most meritocratic aspects and then enforcing it by law. The entire samurai dress code, including stuff around the waste such as the defining symbol of the caste, was there to make sure their social inferiors, both within the samurai class and without, knew just how "badass" they were.

Text detailing Samurai dress restrictions during the Edo period (1600-1868) from the Buke Shõzoku Chakuyõ Zu (Illustrations of Proper Dress for Samurai Families) Edo Period (1600-1868).

Agreed. Belt ranking system was adopted to keep school boys from civilian families motivated. Real samurai would be too embarrassed to wear a ”badassness indicator” around the waist.

Belts in BJJ pretty much indicate how well they would do in dojo spar but you never know what'd happen in a fight or no-gi grappling. Some super elite BJJ players show no interest in MMA or quit after one fight because BJJ doesn't work well against the guys who learned the basics.

In judo, nobody makes assumptions based on the belt you're wearing because almost everybody after a couple of years of training is promoted to black belt. The belt literally means nothing. Many Japanese teenagers get second degree black belt before graduating high school.

Agreed but I think we've discussed in another thread how belt standards can vary quite a bit by country federation and gym. Agreed they matter much less in Judo (I prefer this) but at least in the U.S. the standards were not as quick as I understand they are in Japan.

Using myself as an average competitor example (better than .50 as a novice competitor, worse than that at advanced), I spent 4 years on a competitive college team and at the end of senior year I had the promotion points and time in grade to be ikkyu but was about to graduate and they never put in the paperwork so officially I believe I'm still nikyu. And that was grueling 3-hour practices 5 days/week (6 days/week before collegiate nationals and senior nationals). Brown under the U.S. federations is sankyu, nikyu and ikkyu and you're required to compete at black belt division at bigger tourneys where they have separate brackets for novice and advanced. But regional tourneys were one bracket so you'd commonly see BB's matched against whites and yellows.

I was coming from a HS varsity wrestling background (starting line-up my senior year) and I was also first line up in my college senior year as a nikyu. We averaged probably one tournament or duel meet/month during the 9-month school year. Over 4 years, almost everyone who showed up for practices made at least sankyu but most did NOT make shodan. The only guy my year who did came over after getting cut from the D1 wrestling team and also did a lot of Judo work outside regular workouts for nage no kata, etc.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a conversation my Professor had with one of his Blue Belts,

Blue Belt, "BJJ for life! I'm never going to stop training and competing!"

Professor, "Yeah, your 17. Tell me that in ten years, when you have a full time job, maybe a family, and you've had to recover from a couple of bad injuries".

When I was 17 I didn’t think that was for life, just a another short term hobby. 11 yrs later I’m still here, without a family and never injured though.

Agreed but I think we've discussed in another thread how belt standards can vary quite a bit by country federation and gym. Agreed they matter much less in Judo (I prefer this) but at least in the U.S. the standards were not as quick as I understand they are in Japan.

Using myself as an average competitor example (better than .50 as a novice competitor, worse than that at advanced), I spent 4 years on a competitive college team and at the end of senior year I had the promotion points and time in grade to be ikkyu but was about to graduate and they never put in the paperwork so officially I believe I'm still nikyu. And that was grueling 3-hour practices 5 days/week (6 days/week before collegiate nationals and senior nationals). Brown under the U.S. federations is sankyu, nikyu and ikkyu and you're required to compete at black belt division at bigger tourneys where they have separate brackets for novice and advanced. But regional tourneys were one bracket so you'd commonly see BB's matched against whites and yellows.

I was coming from a HS varsity wrestling background (starting line-up my senior year) and I was also first line up in my college senior year as a nikyu. We averaged probably one tournament or duel meet/month during the 9-month school year. Over 4 years, almost everyone who showed up for practices made at least sankyu but most did NOT make shodan. The only guy my year who did came over after getting cut from the D1 wrestling team and also did a lot of Judo work outside regular workouts for nage no kata, etc.

"at least in the U.S. the standards were not as quick as I understand they are in Japan."

"most did NOT make shodan"

Yes I knew it's harder to get promoted in North America. Coming out of concentration camps, the original instructors didn't want to make it easy for you guys I guess. No humor intended.

I met an American dude who was purple in BJJ and brown in judo. I told him that his purple belt has a lot more value than his judo belt and he took my comment as an insult. I had to explain to him that in terms of difficulty in acquisition, judo shodan = BJJ blue belt in everywhere else.

American federation goes against the policy kodokan made on promotions and they don't seem to give efforts in correcting or adjusting their standards in accordance with the world's highest authority in the sport.

Matt Hughes once made an arrogant assertion, something along the line of ”failed wrestlers choose judo” as an alternative. I'd disagree. But when brown belt is all an adult can hope for after 4 years of committed training in a competition team, one must realize American judo is providing the pretty discouraging environment for athletes with serious mind. And you tell me Rousey couldn't last more than a few days in Japan and ran from the dorm while her colleagues were asleep?

As I wrote, the belt literally means nothing in Japan. 5th Dan matters to some perhaps but black belt itself never wows anyone. Police academy will let you come in wearing the rusty black belt that you earned 6 years ago in middle school (although they're gonna make you feel like a piece of shit soon) and nobody cares.

.......Hardly relevant to the São Paulo murder. The peasant in me craves for people's attention and wrote thoughtless information with 2 shitty links in red.

"at least in the U.S. the standards were not as quick as I understand they are in Japan."

"most did NOT make shodan"

Yes I knew it's harder to get promoted in North America. Coming out of concentration camps, the original instructors didn't want to make it easy for you guys I guess. No humor intended.

I met an American dude who was purple in BJJ and brown in judo. I told him that his purple belt has a lot more value than his judo belt and he took my comment as an insult. I had to explain to him that in terms of difficulty in acquisition, judo shodan = BJJ blue belt in everywhere else.

American federation goes against the policy kodokan made on promotions and they don't seem to give efforts in correcting or adjusting their standards in accordance with the world's highest authority in the sport.

Matt Hughes once made an arrogant assertion, something along the line of ”failed wrestlers choose judo” as an alternative. I'd disagree. But when brown belt is all an adult can hope for after 4 years of committed training in a competition team, one must realize American judo is providing the pretty discouraging environment for athletes with serious mind. And you tell me Rousey couldn't last more than a few days in Japan and ran from the dorm while her colleagues were asleep?

As I wrote, the belt literally means nothing in Japan. 5th Dan matters to some perhaps but black belt itself never wows anyone. Police academy will let you come in wearing the rusty black belt that you earned 6 years ago in middle school (although they're gonna make you feel like a piece of shit soon) and nobody cares.

.......Hardly relevant to the São Paulo murder. The peasant in me craves for people's attention and wrote thoughtless information with 2 shitty links in red.

Not sure if you're referring to my purple belt thread from last year, but I'm BJJ purple and Judo brown:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/got-my-purple-belch.4214951/

I don't take offense to anyone's subjective opinion, but I hope you realize you're coming off fairly pretentious with your blanket belt equivalents. I'm in agreement belts don't REALLY matter but by that same logic, belt equivalents are about as justifiable as MMA math. Belt standards vary across federations and gyms and there's a huge range even within the same gym. Presuming to tell someone the equivalent value of their belt THEY earned (what does that even mean, if belts don't matter?) is in poor form without knowing their individual training background.

In my case, I considered myself an average Judo competitor who got ~15 hours mat time/week for 4 years (on top of varsity HS wrestling background) and at the end of that, I had the points for ikkyu but due to paperwork, am officially still a nikyu which isn't even brown in many countries. Throughout that time, I competed a lot. I was KTFOed from an uchi mata ippon at my second senior nationals. In another match, I left the mat on a stretcher and neckbrace and rode an ambulance to the ER. My right ankle has a permanent mobility impediment due to a bone fragment injury. I had matches with national and international level competitors including a guy on the Russian national team and lots of guys from the U.S. OTC. I trained and competed through injuries for 4 years and of course had competition wins over browns and blacks.

FWIW I think Matt Hughes' assertion has a ring of truth in the U.S. The reason I switched to college team Judo is because I wasn't good enough to make my college D1 wrestling team, but still loved to train and compete. I also competed in ammy boxing and club freestyle wrestling. Scholastic wrestling is much more popular in the U.S. and many Judo competitors (more than half our team) came from a wrestling background.

I'd also dispute your assertion that a Judo BB comes with a Happy Meal anywhere outside North America. Maybe it's like that in Japan (I don't know), but the gym I trained at in Germany was anything but. Every brown belt at that club was a fucking killer. I've trained and competed against many Canadians and their federation standards seem to be comparable to the U.S. Comments from several UK Judoka on this board seem to indicate similar standards.

At my BJJ gym, the new Judo coach was on the Brazilian national team and he and our main BJJ coach are teaching each other their respective arts. It's been about six months and our BJJ coach started Judo guy at blue (which makes sense to me). BJJ coach is a 2nd degree BJJ BB and was a pro MMA fighter for >10 years including the WSOF and PFL and was a main training partner and cornerman for two UFC fighters including a former top-5 contender. Judo coach started him at white and after 6 months, promoted him directly to yonkyu (orange under Brazil federation belt system) but told him to expect about 2 more years of consistent training before ikkyu brown. I will say I think this is ridiculous. My BJJ coach is a fucking monster both on the feet and on the mat. Most of his takedowns are wrestling based and maybe his gi grip fighting and gi Judo throws aren't yet BB level but to me he should have been given an ikkyu brown and maybe let him marinate there for 1 or 2 years before shodan.

Last edited:
Off topic, but the pedant in me is screaming out for satisfaction; imagine extending the belt system to every piece of clothing, adding an infuriating amount of minutia, divorcing it from most meritocratic aspects and then enforcing it by law. The entire samurai dress code, including stuff around the waste such as the defining symbol of the caste, was there to make sure their social inferiors, both within the samurai class and without, knew just how "badass" they were.

Text detailing Samurai dress restrictions during the Edo period (1600-1868) from the Buke Shõzoku Chakuyõ Zu (Illustrations of Proper Dress for Samurai Families) Edo Period (1600-1868).

I see you know your history well.

Na not true. Bjj doesn’t work as well in an mma fight because refs encourage stand ups. You have 5 min rounds and maybe you end up with 1-2 minutes of grappling. If Mma was 1 25 min round , we would see outcomes change

Na not true. Bjj doesn’t work as well in an mma fight because refs encourage stand ups. You have 5 min rounds and maybe you end up with 1-2 minutes of grappling. If Mma was 1 25 min round , we would see outcomes change

And likely no one watching

Shit, just found this thread today although I knew the news but I found out something even crazier today about the cop.

He actually went to another night club straight afterwards..spent R$1500 on a bottle of whiskey, couple energy drinks and 2 gins.. then took a hooker to a motel and stayed there from 5am until around 4pm .. wtf..psycopath

https://g1.globo.com/sp/sao-paulo/n...ssinato-do-campeao-mundial-de-jiu-jitsu.ghtml

Shit, just found this thread today although I knew the news but I found out something even crazier today about the cop.

He actually went to another night club straight afterwards..spent R$1500 on a bottle of whiskey, couple energy drinks and 2 gins.. then took a hooker to a motel and stayed there from 5am until around 4pm .. wtf..psycopath

https://g1.globo.com/sp/sao-paulo/n...ssinato-do-campeao-mundial-de-jiu-jitsu.ghtml

Killed a man, then spent the rest of the night drinking and getting his balls drained by a hooker? Yeah, that's going to look good at his trial.

it sounds ridiculous when you first read it, but i think it means something even worse, to be honest.

this was not the first time this piece of shit shot and killed someone for no fucking reason.

Back