Learn from PALEO grappling...pinfall, ring out, Grappling = simulated combat...not a game

-guerilla-

Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993
Banned
Reaction score
We have managed to create all kinds of games from combat

the fact is grappling Sports have always been originally intended as a way to practice combat without getting hit...
"positional" or "mock" combat so to speak

In Antiquity grappling Sports were considered the Pinnacle of contest between two athletes

Pankration was the final event in the Olympic Games and decided the absolute winner...of course pankration is MMA not grappling however it is clear that grappling was intended as "pankratIon lite"

Belt/lapel wrestling was extremely popular across the globe but anatomical wrestling seems to be even more ubiquitous

Throughout the history of grappling Sports the pinfall has been a victory circumstance however in ancient times establishing control on a downed opponent did not require placing their shoulders to the mat but simply throwing them down and holding them down for a short period of time... once again the "pin fall" wasn't created untill "modern" times

In paleo grappling the whole theory was to put your opponent in a position where they could not attack you effectively with strikes, submissions or weapons and putting your opponent out of the ring was considered a victory or at least scored points

Certainly is curious how we turn combat into a game

What do you think we could learn from the ancient styles of grappling and apply to today's sport grappling circumstances?

the pinfall should include holding an athlete down on his sternum as well as his back, after all flattening an opponant with BOTH hooks in = the most DOMINANT position in grappling sports yet scores ZERO POINTS in wrestling and Judo (the most popular 2 grappling sports) if not a pinfall this position it should AT LEAST score points

Ring outs are also a classical means to establish dominance

Ring out is Taken to the extreme in Sumo as absolute victory and at least scores points in international wrestling but is ignored in many grappling sports

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_wrestling

I find the idea interesting. Trying to make grappling more "reality based". Should translate better to MMA too.

I think you should search more into the traditional and regional wrestling styles over the world. It should be closer to what you describe.

In France there is a folkstyle called Gouren in which "ippon" is achieved only by putting your opponent on his back but you do score points for making fall on his sternum.

I find the idea interesting. Trying to make grappling more "reality based". Should translate better to MMA too.

I think you should search more into the traditional and regional wrestling styles over the world. It should be closer to what you describe.

In France there is a folkstyle called Gouren in which "ippon" is achieved only by putting your opponent on his back but you do score points for making fall on his sternum.

there's all kinds of grappling contests all over the world

I remember watching an amazing Sports episode on ESPN that had a traditional form of Swedish belt wrestling where each contestant wore a pair of canvas shorts and it was contested exactly like sumo except they started in the clinch

"Shvinging" i think

It's all about reality that's why MMA sells out coliseums and Judo can't sell a hot dog at their events

I think if you allowed legbars,
scored sternal hold Downs as osaekomi and gave waza for ring outs Judo would be on every weekend in American Sports television

ESPECIALLY if it had a giless division

Back