Leave a legendary photo

GettyImages-1305742137.jpg

The good news is, you're mistaken! IMO, GSP clearly won the fight by the criteria of the round-by-round judging. There's certainly an argument to be made that Bigg Rigg won the fight by doing more damage, or by being more convincingly dominant overall, but having watched the fight a few times and being a GSP supporter myself, I think it's pretty obvious that the judges got the right guy, by the standards of the judging criteria. If you just "watch" the fight, though, I admit it looks like one guy is landing big bombs that stagger his opponent and is bullying him around while the other guy lands stiff but less-impactful jabs and takedowns that don't really translate into fight-ending threats.

I'll also admit to a personal bias, because my genetic background seems to be at least partially shared with an over-ripe peach. My face marks/bruises very easily. After even a medium-hard BJJ or Judo session, I'd come out looking like a jack-o-lantern. Got a big old welt on my forehead right now, in fact, from a pretty minor accidental elbow a few days ago.
Rational explanation, and I'll buy it for a dollar. I've only seen the fight twice: once live (TV, not in person), and then a replay of the fight some time later. I understand 5-round-scoring criteria, but it it appeared to me on both viewings that Hendricks just outworked GSP. Now, I did not do a strike-by-strike comparison, I'll admit. I don't think there was a person in the Octagon at the end who didn't think Johny won the fight. I won't argue your take on it, though, if you've put that much time into it.

Dn9gQMkUUAAzOVh.jpg

also, my longtime av:

201102251004260e4_crop_north.jpg
That Gomi submission is what PRIME Penn really was. Dude fought the best LW in the world at the time, bloodied him up and snatched his neck in a brutal choke. Gomi took this loss to heart hard and just became a total beast afterword's sleeping multiple top 5 LW's at the time.

Reactions: MRT
Back