Lennox Lewis vs. Tyson Fury prime for prime.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
2 of the best HWs to ever come out of England.

How does Lewis do against Fury's size, reach, and footwork?

Think Fury would do better than a lot of people think against some ATGs......Lennox is not one of them.

I'd give it to Lennox. If Wilder almost stopped Fury then I'm damn sure Lewis would be able to.

Come one guys, consider the matchup and not just who you think is the better overall fighter.

Fury would clown Lewis, fight wouldn't be that competitive. Basically a reply of the Fury/Wald fight.

No disrespect to Lewis, he's a greater fighter than Fury, just a really bad matchup for him. He'd be frustrated all night long.

Lewis doesn't move well enough to deal with Fury, and his biggest advantages (length and jab) would be offset by Fury's size and movement.

So you think the version of Fury that Wilder fought in their first fight was "prime." Not even close.
The version who beat Wilder the second time and beat him the first time, I'd say they were virtually identical just with different tactics. I think prime Tyson Fury was when he beat Wlad.

LL pretty much did everything Fury does right now way better.

Come one guys, consider the matchup and not just who you think is the better overall fighter.

Fury would clown Lewis, fight wouldn't be that competitive. Basically a reply of the Fury/Wald fight.

No disrespect to Lewis, he's a greater fighter than Fury, just a really bad matchup for him. He'd be frustrated all night long.

Lewis doesn't move well enough to deal with Fury, and his biggest advantages (length and jab) would be offset by Fury's size and movement.

Fury made a very old Wlad look bad, but it wasn't really beyond being competitive. It's not like Fury mustered much offense himself. No version of Lennox was anywhere near as gunshy as that version of Wlad was, either (Lennox was just plain better than Wlad in just about every respect, let alone the near 40 year old version of Wlad Fury fought). At best Fury makes him look bad at times, but I think Lennox walks him down and stops him.

I think a lot of people underestimate just how dirty both of these guys fight, Fury doesnt have the one shot power that made Lewis lose twice, and Lewis has a lot of dirty tools in his locker and didnt ever really struggle until the very end of his career with tall long range guys.

I think Lennox had trouble with movers, but he never boxed a good mover. You could only see it in spots when opponents would move. He performed best when it was a pure physical fight... Even a past-prime Holyfield was outslicking him here and there... If Evan Fields could have used his feet more, he may have won.

Though I'm not sure if Fury could sustain moving around for the entire fight - not due to stamina related reasons, but more due to psychological related reasons. His pitty pat punches wouldn't faze Lennox at any point, so half way through the fight Fury could get a feeling of not knowing where he's at on the scorecards, which could draw him into the pocket where he'd engage.
This is when Lennox' right hand of doom would eventually catch up and land, Fury would never see it coming and that would be the end of the fight.

Also the cut caused by Otto Wallin was bothering the shit out of Fury. So if Lennox can open up a cut early on like he did against Vitali, Fury's chances to win would be slim to none, and slim is out of town.

Last edited:
Lewis main weakness was that he did not have very quick feet. Still, he beat far better fighters than Fury has. Lennox has the pedigree, the jab, true one shot power and the skills to adjust. He also is a big guy, so Fury’s tactic of bullying/leaning that he did to Wilder would not work against Lennox, who also had a very good uppercut on the inside (Michael Grant can attest to that). The best version of Lewis would slowly break Fury down and stop him late I believe.

Lewis was a smash and grab merchant, similar to Wlad, in that respect.
Fury is an enigma, I could imagine him outpointing Lewis but also getting starched.

Fury is good, lewis is great, at this point, great wins. Few years may change my opinion same as when I thought lewis was just a hypejob

Fury is good, lewis is great, at this point, great wins. Few years may change my opinion same as when I thought lewis was just a hypejob

This is a response to the question "Who is the more accomplished of the two".

But we know that good boxers can defeat great boxers (Norton - Ali)... It has happened severel times in the past.

I don’t see fury beating Lewis!

I think Lennox either stops him late or beats him by UD
As has been said in this thread, wlads problem was he is too risk averse. He lost the fury fight because he never really felt in a position to mount any offence. He couldn’t use his usual advantages and tactics against fury, and hardly pulled the trigger. I think fury always gives wlad problems, no matter his age. Lewis is far from gun shy and I think Lewis would take control of the fight mid rounds, and beat fury up

Back