Lennox Lewis

Personally, as he grew up in Britain until he was 12, I had no problem considering him British. But I know plenty over here that considered him Canadian. It really came to a head when he fought Frank Bruno who was the British darling of HW boxing. The media were all behind Bruno. Until Lennox outclassed Frank and then they were a lot nicer to Lewis after that. Everyone loves a winner.

Looking to start a debate between Canadians and English….and boxing fans in general.

So I’m watching the Olympics 2020 and was watching boxing (with beers) and remembered Lennox Lewis boxed for Canada in 1988.

So what is Mr. Lewis? English or Canadian?

Facts are facts - Lewis learned to box in Canada, he represented Canada in the Olympics, then he realized that the UK dwarfs Canada in terms of interest in boxing and there were way more opportunities and financial incentives to being a British fighter, so he went back to England and marketed himself as the next big British heavyweight.

So which country has a bigger claim to Lennox? The country where he was born in and moves back to for economic reasons, or the country he grew up in, learned to box in, and represented on the highest level of sports in the Olympics?

Lennox is a Canadian boxer.

No, but he was walking around claiming that he'd beat up any WWE wrestler in a street fight... Then Haku entered the locker room and Lennox ran out of the building.

latest
I can listen to Meng/Haku stories all day

Facts are facts - Lewis learned to box in Canada, he represented Canada in the Olympics, then he realized that the UK dwarfs Canada in terms of interest in boxing and there were way more opportunities and financial incentives to being a British fighter, so he went back to England and marketed himself as the next big British heavyweight.

So which country has a bigger claim to Lennox? The country where he was born in and moves back to for economic reasons, or the country he grew up in, learned to box in, and represented on the highest level of sports in the Olympics?

Lennox spent 12 years in Canada but grew up in the UK for 12 years and then spent 14 years there as a pro. So 12 years vs. 26 years, Lennox is British.

lol neither country has a claim to him. He’s not a fckin island. if he feels Canadian, british, West Indian, or a mix of all three, then that’s down to him

Lennox spent 12 years in Canada but grew up in the UK for 12 years and then spent 14 years there as a pro. So 12 years vs. 26 years, Lennox is British.
lol neither country has a claim to him. He’s not a fckin island. if he feels Canadian, british, West Indian, or a mix of all three, then that’s down to him

Lennox Lewis can identify with whatever he chooses to as a man, but Lennox Lewis the boxer is Canadian.

Again, learned to box in Canada, represented Canada at the Olympics. You can't argue it, you just look stupid.

Lennox Lewis can identify with whatever he chooses to as a man, but Lennox Lewis the boxer is Canadian.

Again, learned to box in Canada, represented Canada at the Olympics. You can't argue it, you just look stupid.
12 years vs 26 years. Yeah there is no argument.

this forum has really gone to pot lately, been through some rough times on here but jesus christ

people just spamming and trying to cause arguments in 90% of threads

like those 2 bellend replies above

this forum has really gone to pot lately, been through some rough times on here but jesus christ

people just spamming and trying to cause arguments in 90% of threads

like those 2 bellend replies above
The only one taking this seriously is you. Get over yourself.

12 years vs 26 years. Yeah there is no argument.

0524lewis3-v6.jpg

Yup, he's looking quite British here eh? lol

Did you British fans ever wonder why Lennox wasn't complete shit like all the other British HWs? Why he had bottle, unlike quitters like AJ and Dubois?

It's because we taught him well here in Canada mate

0524lewis3-v6.jpg

Did you British fans ever wonder why Lennox wasn't complete shit like all the other British HWs? Why he had bottle, unlike quitters like AJ and Dubois?

Did you Canadians ever wonder why Canada wasn't complete shit like all the other commonwealth countries? Why you had bottle, unlike quitters like Nigeria and Malta?

It's because your basically British, we taught you well when we colonised you. ;)

0524lewis3-v6.jpg

you sound bitter! Yous can ‘claim’ him if it makes you feel better.
He’s one of my favourite fighters and a West Ham fan! He can literally do no wrong in my book. I don’t really care where he’s ‘technically’ from (which is the east end of London)

you sound bitter! Yous can ‘claim’ him if it makes you feel better.
He’s one of my favourite fighters and a West Ham fan! He can literally do no wrong in my book. I don’t really care where he’s ‘technically’ from (which is the east end of London)

Not bitter at all mate, Lennox is one of me favourites, I rate him top 3 all time with Ali and Holmes, I'm honored to call him a Canadian

As opposed to all the great Canadian heavyweights you've had over the years
<{Heymansnicker}>

0524lewis3-v6.jpg

He was bullied in Canada because of his 'British' accent which is why he started boxing. And by all accounts he was a natural most likely due to his tough upbringing in West Ham. But after bullying him you now want to claim him? LOL

Lewis had a better chance getting on the Canadian team where competition to get on was much lighter than in other countries.

Of all his nationalities, Lewis, lastly, is a Canadian. Anyway, he spent most his time in or near Toronto, which is not really "Canadian."

As opposed to all the great Canadian heavyweights you've had over the years
<{Heymansnicker}>

Canada doesn't actually have that poor a record when it comes to HWs. We also clearly have a greater fighter than any Brit in Sam Langford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back