Let's call Dana White's Contender Series what it is: Ultimate Fighter 2.0

brackis1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It just dawned on me that in the age of being tied with ESPN and a true sports network, combined with the stale TUF brand, this Contender Series crap is the next iteration of The Ultimate Fighter. ESPN doesn't really do true "reality shows" and that who subgenre is a relic of the 2000s by now, but this is shot in the same style and achieves many of the same things for the UFC and its home network without having to put money or effort into real events or fighter pay while Dana gets his rocks off in front of the camera.

Main commonalities:
-Iffy talent pool: Most real contenders are snapped up on real contracts immediately unless extremely green and/or being used for squash matches (ala Greg Hardy). Like the Ultimate Fighter the odds of a real title holder coming thru the series is slim and the majority of them have no business ever fighting on a real UFC card.

-Early midweek broadcasts to avoid live sports competition for ratings.

-Low production budget and off-strip Vegas film set

-Little to no audience (ridiculous to pretend that this environment is at all relevant to MMA when every other legitimate pro fight is going to have tons of screaming fans and noise, not this weird sterile non-event location)

-Huge focus on Dana as some sort of fight-emperor who gets to scream and yap about how impressed he was or not, his power, and him "making" these fighters (as if they wouldn't have been scouted or signed otherwise)

-Story and drama focuses more on family life and the feast v. famine of "making the UFC" rather than belt contention.

-Little to no budget/payout to fighters: these fights get put on cable/premium cable but the guys aren't actually on UFC contracts, earning basically nothing (probably losing money after expenses).

-End of episode drama: TUF always finished with a fight or an announcement, The Contender Series devalues whether someone wins or loses and instead makes it build up to the "big decision" by Dana. Almost Bachelor-esque, except with a fat billionaire trying to sign young talent to low-income contracts and instead of dates, we got some fights.

Last edited:
"Then dont watch ya goof"

<31>

Yeah well if you like watching people fight then it’s still a show for you.

I don’t disagree with you btw. I used to fast forward TUF episodes until the fights started.

Contender series started on FightPass, it’s not an ESPN thing.

It was moved to a new, better studio for this season, so its production is actually better. It’s not meant to be a big UFC type level event, its a fight with few people in the crowd, in which your objective is to impress the bosses at hand.

You speak as if Dana has no say, Dana is the president of the company, if he tells Sean or Mick to do something or not to, they will listen to him. If there is one guy you should try to impress there, it’s Dana because he’s the guy that ultimately decides your fate as far as being a UFC fighter.

And mid week broadcast is something to complain about? You’re crying about there being MORE mma? Wtf?

But yes, it is TUF 2.0. It’s a better version of TUF, we don’t have to deal with seeing these guys cry and urinate on other peoples beds while drunk. We get to see them tell a 2 minute story about what their motivation is and then a fight. I’ll take that over TUF any and every day of the week.

It's a good way to find new fighters to the roster.

UFC got a LOT of real fucking talent in those shitty shows (Dillashaw... Evans... Ferguson... Chiesa... Marreta... the list goes on and on...

I just call it low budget tv

I bet the new season is gonna be titled Dana White’s The Ultimate Fighter and we are gonna have to pay for access to espn+ and pay for the season and then an extra additional charge per episode

-Iffy talent pool: Most real contenders are snapped up on real contracts immediately unless extremely green and being used for squash matches (ala Hardy). Like the Ultimate Fighter the odds of a real title holder coming thru the series is slim.
Like the Ultimate Fighter the odds of a real title holder coming thru the series is slim.
I don't know about The Contendere series but there has been a lot of talent that came from TUF. Several champions.

Kamaru Usman
Robert Whittaker
Tony Ferguson
Michael Bisping
T.J Dillashaw
Kelvin Gastelum
Rashad Evans
Ryan Namajunas
Ryan Bader
Paulo Costa
Yair Rodrigues
Forest Griffin
John Dodson
Josh Koscheck

And more.

Fedor, GSP, Silva, and Jones have all lost to TUF fighters.

Completely TUF 2.0
However, a vital distinction is right there in the title where this new series really helps direct even more attention away from the fighters towards some fat dude who makes the real dough - you remember, the fighters, the individuals who are the actual reason we watch MMA!!???

lol no. Screw house reality drama. This format is much better. Brief interview with the fighters, then the fights happen. As it should be.

Iffy talent pool
Dude, what??? Have you ever even watched it???

If anything, the talent pool is better than TUF. Way better IMO. IDK if that's just because the guys coming up today are better than the guys coming up a few years ago, but I've been super impressed with the level of fighters coming out of the CS, and how many high level, exciting fights there are.

Plus, TUF was one fight a week. This is five.

This is way better than TUF in every imaginable way except the funny moments of the guys living in the house together, which apart from seasons 1, 5 and 8, were pretty few and far between.

I'm not bothered if you don't watch it, but I don't see how you can be an MMA fan and call it "crap."

It just dawned on me that in the age of being tied with ESPN and a true sports network, combined with the stale TUF brand, this Contender Series crap is the next iteration of The Ultimate Fighter. ESPN doesn't really do true "reality shows" and that who subgenre is a relic of the 2000s by now, but this is shot in the same style and achieves many of the same things.

Main commonalities:
-Iffy talent pool: Most real contenders are snapped up on real contracts immediately unless extremely green and being used for squash matches (ala Hardy). Like the Ultimate Fighter the odds of a real title holder coming thru the series is slim.
-Midweek broadcasts
-Low production budget and off-strip Vegas film set
-Huge focus on Dana as some sort of fight-emperor who gets to scream and yap about how impressed he was or not.
-Story and drama focuses more on family life and the feast v. famine of "making the UFC" rather than belt contention.
-Little to no budget/payout to fighters: these fights get put on cable/premium cable but the guys aren't actually on UFC , earning basically nothing (probably losing money after expenses).
Yeah but it's better. They just have the fights. No Junie Browning, no Rob Browning, no Upper Decker, no just let me bang bro. They just fight. Who cares about the reality B.S. This is so much better. I must admit I still miss Nick the Tooth.

I don't know about The Contendere series but there has been a lot of talent that came from TUF. Several champions.

Kamaru Usman
Robert Whittaker
Tony Ferguson
Michael Bisping
T.J Dillashaw
Kelvin Gastelum
Rashad Evans
Ryan Namajunas
Ryan Bader
Paulo Costa
Yair Rodrigues
Forest Griffin
John Dodson
Josh Koscheck

And more.

Add

Nate Diaz
Diego Sanchez
Thiago Santos
Gray Maynard
Juliana Pena
Raquel Pennington
Kenny Florian
Joe Stevenson
Matt Serra didn't but he wouldn't have won the belt if it wasn't for TUF
Roy Nelson
Matt Mitrione
Carla Esparza
Tatiana Suarez
Matt Brown

That's just some names I've added who've fought for a belt or have probably been top 5 at some point in their division. You could add about 30 more guys who've had UFC fights and done alright in the promotion. How the odds of a contender coming through TUF is "slim" is beyond me.

This thread is a massive fail. Is Ts really complaining about free fights during the middle of the week where the fighters are dam near forced to be exciting if they want a job.

Last edited:
Back