Lever guns, love ‘em, or hate ‘em

JohnPJones

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
When I get some disposable income again, I plan on getting a lever gun.

mom debating between .357magnum and a larger caliber like 30-30.

what do you guys think about the cowboy classics?

Inherited a Savage Model 99 featherweight lever action chambered in .308 Winchester. It’s pretty accurate with the original Weaver 5x scope. It’s no Cowboy gun but it would shoot thing that need to be shot.

army-of-darkness-evil-dead.gif

FriendlyDelectableAmazonparrot-size_restricted.gif

Bought a Marlin 30-30 a few years back that was similar to the one my grandpa had that was given to my mom but ultimately "borrowed" and conveniently never returned by my uncle 20 years ago.

Also have a Browning lever action 243 that was my FILs.

When I get some disposable income again, I plan on getting a lever gun.

mom debating between .357magnum and a larger caliber like 30-30.

what do you guys think about the cowboy classics?
Get a .44 magnum the middle ground.

Get a .44 magnum the middle ground.
The only reason I considered the .357 is because it could double as ammo for a handgun…but let’s face it I’ll never buy a revolver as anything except a display piece like my Beaumont-Vitali (but I actually like shooting that aside from the cost.)

The only reason I considered the .357 is because it could double as ammo for a handgun…but let’s face it I’ll never buy a revolver as anything except a display piece like my Beaumont-Vitali (but I actually like shooting that aside from the cost.)
so can a .44 magnum, you never seen dirty harry?

Yeah I know, but that’s a bit ridiculous for a handgun.
I’d never buy a .44mag for any reason lol
You say this but when you're asleep one night and a wild African Rhino breaks through your door and the .357 magnum pistol rounds are bouncing off its endangered forehead you'll shout "I should have listened to Woldog!!!!!!!" in this highly realistic scenario.

You say this but when you're asleep one night and a wild African Rhino breaks through your door and the .357 magnum pistol rounds are bouncing off its endangered forehead you'll shout "I should have listened to Woldog!!!!!!!" in this highly realistic scenario.
That’s what the Beaumont is for lol 11mm of ancient hate.

I'd get the .357, but that's just me. Being able to rock a revolver and a rifle in the same caliber turns my dick into diamonds.

How many jams do you get with the Rossi?
No jams but sometimes it won't pick up a round and 38special get stuck in the tube, but in saying this it's been abused and not looked after 1 bit, it was given to me by my Oldman and he's rough on gear.

Edit it's over 30 years and has had no maintenance on it

No jams but sometimes it won't pick up a round and 38special get stuck in the tube, but in saying this it's been abused and not looked after 1 bit, it was given to me by my Oldman and he's rough on gear.

Edit it's over 30 years and has had no maintenance on it
That's pretty damn good, obviously being 30 years old it missed the hell years of "Braztech" manufacturing. Which means it was probably made with a bit of care. If you know off the top of your head does it have a metal follower rather than the plastic shit they use today in the mag?

I've got a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70. I like the look of it and the feel of working the lever, but I don't shoot it much. The recoil is pretty strong on the loads I've got for it and the lever tends to beat the shit out of one of the knuckles on my trigger hand in particular. One of these days I'll probably get another lever gun, maybe a .30-30 or .44 mag.

Back