Lifting for Muay Thai (and MMA) video ideas -

Centaur

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hello all, its been a bit!
I was asked to make a video on weightlifting for Muay Thai (kickbocing, mma, etc), some do's and don'ts and a list of resources. I thought I'd offer my ideas thus far and get some wise feedback from the might EssenPee subforum(I know it's not called that anymore).

So, weightlifting - Yes or no - almost definitely yes, unless you're competing soon and the lifting would interfere with fight training.
Avoid bodybuilding type routines (unwanted bulk/mass and recovery times are different). Stick to compound movements.
Beginner's should start with Stronglifts or something similar, then graduate on to more specific routines depending on needs/goals.

Resources I would mention:
Stronglifts, Rosstraining, Joel Jamison (sp?), Training For Warriors.

I thought I'd include a couple basic movements (OHP, Squat, Rows etc) as well as a couple more "advance" ones like power cleans and Full Contact Twist.

I'd Love to hear suggestions on what I have so far and any additional info you think would be beneficial. This is mostly aimed at newbs so keep that in mind.
Thanks in advance!

Kettlebell swings had helped me a lot with my punches. I think it was the combination of learning how to use more of my hips and I’ve read that doing kettlebell swings improve your horizontal force.

Kettlebell swings had helped me a lot with my punches. I think it was the combination of learning how to use more of my hips and I’ve read that doing kettlebell swings improve your horizontal force.
Interesting! I don’t do much with kettlebells but I’ll look into it.

Interesting! I don’t do much with kettlebells but I’ll look into it.

I was amazed with the results I had because I used a relative light kettlebell (26 lbs). I’ll be curious to hear with your results.

For boxing doing tons of cable lateral rises and reverse flyes have helped me a ton. Mainly with the shoulder enduarance.

Kettlebell or dumbell snatches. But you gotta be careful with the technique. I injured my left shoulder due to poor technique.

Cable wood chops for developing good rotational strength and core.

Train the glutes. Walking lunges for developing balance. Glute bridges cause they kick ass. Lateral lunges and variations, helps with footwork and balance

For boxing doing tons of cable lateral rises and reverse flyes have helped me a ton. Mainly with the shoulder enduarance.

Kettlebell or dumbell snatches. But you gotta be careful with the technique. I injured my left shoulder due to poor technique.

Cable wood chops for developing good rotational strength and core.

Train the glutes. Walking lunges for developing balance. Glute bridges cause they kick ass. Lateral lunges and variations, helps with footwork and balance

I forgot about cable wood shops, that's a great (fun) excerice. And yes, DB snatches are already on the list, thanks for the suggestions!

I was amazed with the results I had because I used a relative light kettlebell (26 lbs). I’ll be curious to hear with your results.
So you're just doing straight up swings? I have a 35lbs KB at home and a bunch at my gym, so I'll start with that pretty soon, thanks again.

So you're just doing straight up swings? I have a 35lbs KB at home and a bunch at my gym, so I'll start with that pretty soon, thanks again.

Yup. I remember joining a gym that had an instructor who taught a beginner course with kettlebells. She had us doing swings, farmers walk and some basic kettlebell exercises. Within that same week, I notice an improvement with my punches. Also, I’ve read that kettlebell swings can improve your deadlifts.

Hello all, its been a bit!
I was asked to make a video on weightlifting for Muay Thai (kickbocing, mma, etc), some do's and don'ts and a list of resources. I thought I'd offer my ideas thus far and get some wise feedback from the might EssenPee subforum(I know it's not called that anymore).

So, weightlifting - Yes or no - almost definitely yes, unless you're competing soon and the lifting would interfere with fight training.
Avoid bodybuilding type routines (unwanted bulk/mass and recovery times are different). Stick to compound movements.
Beginner's should start with Stronglifts or something similar, then graduate on to more specific routines depending on needs/goals.

Resources I would mention:
Stronglifts, Rosstraining, Joel Jamison (sp?), Training For Warriors.

I thought I'd include a couple basic movements (OHP, Squat, Rows etc) as well as a couple more "advance" ones like power cleans and Full Contact Twist.

I'd Love to hear suggestions on what I have so far and any additional info you think would be beneficial. This is mostly aimed at newbs so keep that in mind.
Thanks in advance!
I wouldnt use Roses stuff,he tends to get wild on the videos and say just lift it and pull it or press it. It doesnt work that way, plus his rotational strength is idiotic because he does it all from the lumbar area.
Martin Rooney is good yes,this ia gree.
Kettlebells(snatches,cleans,farmers carry, bottom ups farmers carry,bottoms up presses,swings,combinations of swing+clean+press)
Dumbells(presses,pulls,carries,split squats,bulgarian squats,lunges,although you can do that with kettlebells)
Bands work(punches,rotational strength,different shoulder training ideas)
Bodyweight core ideas like different planks,dead bugs,isometric work for the core(there is tons of this),pushups, pull ups,horizontal pull ups. I would not use sit ups and crunches and that kinda core work.
I would definitely include some spine stabilization exercises like McGill big 3. Those rock big time.
Some neck isometric work as well,i would stay away from neck bridges and similar to that.

Personally i would stay away from the pure barbell work cause it can be difficult for the joints (i dont see the benefit as well) and the recovery is kinda long,plus above list this is all you need and more
But thats just me.

Last edited:
Wow, lots of good suggestions, thank you!

For Ross' stuff I was thinking more Never Gymless an Infinite Intensity.
I agree with everything, but do you not think that power cleans, snatches etc. with a barbell may be useful, or you more along of kettlebells/Dumbbells?

Wow, lots of good suggestions, thank you!

For Ross' stuff I was thinking more Never Gymless an Infinite Intensity.
I agree with everything, but do you not think that power cleans, snatches etc. with a barbell may be useful, or you more along of kettlebells/Dumbbells?
Me personally would go with kettlebells and dumbells with cleans and snatches for fighters.
Barbells require a lot of training and it tends to be hard to the joints and back,and as a fighters i would rather do that kind of stuff unilateral because of the stance and specifics of the sports.
From Rosses i would take HITT trainings but i would stay away from his core work. Im not into crunches and flexion of the spine for core work,i personally do with my guys antiflexion,antirotation,antiextension nd rotational strenth that goes from hips.
But again thats me,you seem like a knowledgeable guy :)

I think core work is totally fine; you'll get punched/kicked in the body, it needs to be strong all around.

On the one hand, periodization would be really important for a fighter. ZERO hypertrophy at ANY time for a fighter? There's room for it in the off season. Build muscle to fill up the weight category, then strength phase to prime the new muscle mass running into the training camp. Then, endurance/plyometrics to replicate fighting conditions, with just enough volume not to interfere with technical training & sparring.

On the other hand, a ton of cardio/endurance would replicate fighting conditions year round and possibly raise the fighter's tank. Might be leaving some power on the table, but you'll get consistent output throughout the fight.

I don't think there's a one size fits all. I think it depends on the coaching style and the fighter's style. Look at Tyson, look at Buakaw, look at GSP, would you train them the same way? As a beginner, work on your fighter's strengths, as an intermediate, bring up his weaknesses. By the time he's advanced, it should be clear where the pitfalls have been and what the current competition requires.

I haven't trained MT in a looong time, but your videos are great. Keep it up, Dan!

Back