Economy Local Governance & Working-Class Champion Lil' Ronda Lowers Minimum Wages in Florida [Rs ignoring econ. convos again]

blackheart

Extinction Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
In a move to strengthen the working class as well as the principle of local governance - Ron DeSantis has signed a bill into law that eliminates local minimum wages across the state of Florida.

This article is a month old. The bills have now been signed into law.

Tens of thousands of South Florida workers stand to have their paychecks slashed under a pair of Florida bills that preempt local governments from setting pay minimums. Mayor Daniella Levine Cava has urged Ron DeSantis to veto the bills.
Manuel Martinez makes about $20 an hour. He works as a security screener in the American Airlines hangar at Miami International Airport. He’s 28, lives alone in an apartment in Hialeah for $1,000 a month and sends what’s left of his paycheck after bills back to his mom in Cuba.

After Florida’s recent legislative session, however, Martinez says he might not be able to afford what little he has even now.

Late last week, the Florida Legislature passed a pair of bills — HB 433 and HB 705 — that will ban local governments from mandating wages above the statewide minimum for subcontracted workers and construction employees.

If Gov. Ron DeSantis signs the bills into law, Martinez and nearly 20,000 workers in just Miami-Dade County could have their pay — currently lifted thanks to local mandates — cut to just $12 per hour.

The bill was written by lobbyists for the Florida Chamber of Commerce. @Jack V Savage tell everyone again how money doesn't influence politics. I know that corporate lobbyists directly wrote up legislation to lower wages and cut costs, therefore increasing their profits, and said bill was just signed into law, but tell us how money doesn't influence politics. Say the line.

The bill was written by lobbyists for the Florida Chamber of Commerce. @Jack V Savage tell everyone again how money doesn't influence politics. I know that corporate lobbyists directly wrote up legislation to lower wages and cut costs, therefore increasing their profits, and said bill was just signed into law, but tell us how money doesn't influence politics. Say the line.
Is your theory that "corporate lobbyists" turned RDS into a right-winger? Read his 2011 book.

Is your theory that "corporate lobbyists" turned RDS into a right-winger? Read his 2011 book.
Your question would make sense if being a corporatist was exclusive to Republicans, which it isn't.

Your question would make sense if being a corporatist was exclusive to Republicans, which it isn't.
I think "corporatist" in the sense that you're using it is not a coherent idea. But rightist ideas are exclusive to rightists on the particular issues under discussion (and the GOP is the rightist party in American politics).

Anyway, I think the theory that RDS supports rightist legislation because he has rightist beliefs is more parsimonious and explains more than the theory that he supports rightist legislation despite not agreeing with it because he needs money for his re-election campaign (especially since he's term limited).

Last edited:
I think "corporatist" in the sense that you're using it is not a coherent idea. But rightist ideas are exclusive to rightists on the particular issues under discussion (and the GOP is the rightist party in American politics).

Anyway, I think the theory that RDS supports rightist legislation because he has rightist beliefs is more parsimonious and explains more than the theory that he supports rightist legislation despite not agreeing with it because he needs money for his re-election campaign (especially since he's term limited).
If this is just the natural conclusion of a rightie being in power then why did lobbyists need to write and then lobby for this legislation? Why did they need to be involved at all?

Relative to other advanced nations - the US has a far-right and center-right party. It's okay if you support moderate-right policies just don't pretend they're actually left.

Btw a quick aside - I noticed the other day you liking a post calling Obamacare, Romneycare 2.0. A lifetime ago, I very specifically remember having a disagreement with you about that characterization. I said the ACA was a right-wing market-based healthcare plan that was virtually the same as Romney's plan. You disagreed completely. The most major legislative "achievement" of the democratic party in the last 20 years was a right wing healthcare plan. But you're about to tell me how dems aren't a center-right party 🙄

Damn chuddos what happened? Crickets in here eh? No comments about a popular republican governor signing legislation to override local laws and directly lower wages for tens of thousands of Floridians? Aren't you guys the party of the working class, local governance and small government?

If this is just the natural conclusion of a rightie being in power then why did lobbyists need to write and then lobby for this legislation? Why did they need to be involved at all?

Relative to other advanced nations - the US has a far-right and center-right party. It's okay if you support moderate-right policies just don't pretend they're actually left.

Btw a quick aside - I noticed the other day you liking a post calling Obamacare, Romneycare 2.0. A lifetime ago, I very specifically remember having a disagreement with you about that characterization. I said the ACA was a right-wing market-based healthcare plan that was virtually the same as Romney's plan. You disagreed completely. The most major legislative "achievement" of the democratic party in the last 20 years was a right wing healthcare plan. But you're about to tell me how dems aren't a center-right party 🙄
Just out of curiosity who are you? Your join date is a year ago so I'm assuming you're from before. I've seen some people say you're Brackis but I don't think so-- you two have different writing styles

Don't know the details of it. The piece you linked talks about lobbyists against the bill but not supporters. Generally, there is a competence issue sometimes. Legislators have a desire for a bill but they don't have the expertise to really craft a good one, and they coordinate with private supporters who have more expertise. That's one reason a lot of lobbyists support term limits, BTW.
Well, no. Relative to other advanced nations, the U.S. has a left party and a far-right party. Constantly repeating discredited (and frankly ridiculous) claims doesn't make them more true.
Btw a quick aside - I noticed the other day you liking a post calling Obamacare, Romneycare 2.0. A lifetime ago, I very specifically remember having a disagreement with you about that characterization.
Don't recall the post you're talking about. Might have liked some other element or sometimes if someone takes the time to type out a well-thought post but I don't really have anything to say about it, I'll hit like. Other reasons too. Likes /= endorsement.

I said the ACA was a right-wing market-based healthcare plan that was virtually the same as Romney's plan. You disagreed completely. The most major legislative "achievement" of the democratic party in the last 20 years was a right wing healthcare plan. But you're about to tell me how dems aren't a center-right party 🙄
Yeah, factually that's just a crazy claim, made by charlatans and believed by idiots. A huge expansion of Medicaid, an increase in pro-worker regulations (including profit caps on insurers), and new gov't subsidies, paid for by taxes on rich people is not a right-wing change. I really don't know what people think they accomplish with such dishonesty.

Well I'm sure all of these companies will do what's right and keep their pay the same even if they aren't mandated to. Or at least reduce the prices of their goods and services accordingly. Right? Right???

Well I'm sure all of these companies will do what's right and keep their pay the same even if they aren't mandated to. Or at least reduce the prices of their goods and services accordingly. Right? Right???
What goods and services? This only applies to state contractors. Cities mandating wages above the state MW for random businesses has already been illegal for 20 years. It also doesn't start until 2026, when the state MW will already be $15.

Back