lomachenkos style in mma

All the great boxing stylists in the UFC are lower level in boxing. None of them are even mid-level pro. Not good enough to even be called "Journeyman".

None of them are anywhere near Loma's level. But despite that, the punchers are mopping up the higher tiers of the UFC. That's how effective just a little good boxing is.

with takedown defense learnt from wrestling

with takedown defense learnt from wrestling

Good point. Low level boxers have been able to add wrestling defense to their boxing and gotten to the top level of MMA.

Some people on here are pretending like a higher level boxer could somehow not do that (?) Every other combat art needs to add other elements to be competitive in MMA now to round it out, I don't know why people in this thread act like higher level pro boxers would be unable to, despite every other combat style being able to.

I think what it comes down to is your average person thinks boxing is just throwing your arms (wrong AF), and they think they already know how to do that (also completely wrong). They feel like they already kind of know what boxing is and how it works. They couldn't be more absurd-- there are a universe of crucial details they're missing. But that is why they think that it wouldn't work at a high level entering into MMA.

They secretly want to believe that boxing is just something every person already does and knows, mostly, albeit on a lower level of fitness. This delusion is reinforced by movies and TV showing guys getting good at boxing merely by getting fitter and hitting pads. But this typical pleb can actually instinctively feel that they would lose badly to nearly anyone with a little MMA training. So they blame it on punching not working against MMA. In their minds, punching (swinging wildly with no understanding or ability) = boxing. They want to blame boxing on their incompetence. It's ego bait.

Good point. Low level boxers have been able to add wrestling defense to their boxing and gotten to the top level of MMA.

Some people on here are pretending like a higher level boxer could somehow not do that (?) Every other combat art needs to add other elements to be competitive in MMA now to round it out, I don't know why people in this thread act like higher level pro boxers would be unable to, despite every other combat style being able to.

I think what it comes down to is your average person thinks boxing is just throwing your arms (wrong AF), and they think they already know how to do that (also completely wrong). They feel like they already kind of know what boxing is and how it works. They couldn't be more absurd-- there are a universe of crucial details they're missing. But that is why they think that it wouldn't work at a high level entering into MMA.

They secretly want to believe that boxing is just something every person already does and knows, mostly, albeit on a lower level of fitness. This delusion is reinforced by movies and TV showing guys getting good at boxing merely by getting fitter and hitting pads. But this typical pleb can actually instinctively feel that they would lose badly to nearly anyone with a little MMA training. So they blame it on punching not working against MMA. In their minds, punching (swinging wildly with no understanding or ability) = boxing. They want to blame boxing on their incompetence. It's ego bait.

thats because even most guys here who train dont have legit boxing coaches its hard t get 1 on1 boxing from a good coach luckily for me i come from a smaller town with very rich boxing history our club use to compete with roy jones jrs family gym back in the 70s-80s we have had a few top boxers come from the community and was able to get free 1 on 1 lessons for years due to this

boxing is a technical art i hate when people though brian ortega was a good boxer

lol ...

combat sports = white kids that couldnt make team xyz

Idk why your saying combat sports like that lol, boxing is a combat sport, and it is not a sport of the poor it's pretty much the only combat sport that makes the most money.

Idk why your saying combat sports like that lol, boxing is a combat sport, and it is not a sport of the poor it's pretty much the only combat sport that makes the most money.

Don't give him a reason to come back

The crosstraining thingy come from "sport camps"
Basically for example during summer times athletes of different sports are under one roof in a big ass "concentration camp" lol

Well, not exactly.
We have the so-called Sports Children and Youth Schools of the Olympic Reserve. In each town or in each district in large cities. When children reach a suitable age, they can come there (training sessions start in September), pass physical fitness tests and be enrolled in one or another section, based on their own desires (fencing, swimming, basketball, boxing, wrestling, etc.). Then, depending on their success in the chosen form, they may be offered to go to a sports school (this is a school and training 2*6 times a week in one bottle).
There are more prestigious sports, such as tennis, which are quite difficult to get to. But almost everyone can get into ordinary groups, such as boxing, judo or basketball.
Training at all stages is completely free, including food, equipment, uniform, etc. Coaches receive salaries from the state.
Since all sections are located in a single complex, athletes at the grassroots level often attend related sports or exercise the physical activity that they like. For example, when I was engaged in fencing, in the winter we went skiing, in the summer we swam, played handball, football. In addition, many coaches of the old Soviet school include elements of other sports in their training, for example, in boxing training it is a wrestling that helps in understanding work in the clinch, etc.

Well, not exactly.
We have the so-called Sports Children and Youth Schools of the Olympic Reserve. In each town or in each district in large cities. When children reach a suitable age, they can come there (training sessions start in September), pass physical fitness tests and be enrolled in one or another section, based on their own desires (fencing, swimming, basketball, boxing, wrestling, etc.). Then, depending on their success in the chosen form, they may be offered to go to a sports school (this is a school and training 2*6 times a week in one bottle).
There are more prestigious sports, such as tennis, which are quite difficult to get to. But almost everyone can get into ordinary groups, such as boxing, judo or basketball.
Training at all stages is completely free, including food, equipment, uniform, etc. Coaches receive salaries from the state.
Since all sections are located in a single complex, athletes at the grassroots level often attend related sports or exercise the physical activity that they like. For example, when I was engaged in fencing, in the winter we went skiing, in the summer we swam, played handball, football. In addition, many coaches of the old Soviet school include elements of other sports in their training, for example, in boxing training it is a wrestling that helps in understanding work in the clinch, etc.

That was my point lol

my parents are russian and i used to live in russia,im somewhat familiar with the system

Anyway im just telling what my parents experiences were since my mother was on soviet volleyball team and grandfather in track and field.

Last edited:
This is what I was saying as well. There is pretty much bigger chance a guy like Loma is finished like that than losing by being taken down. I really doubt there are skilled enough wrestlers to catch him. But leg kicks and a huge ring are something he will strugle with.

By the way always wondered why boxers in KB wouldnt just push forward and try to KO the kickboxers ASAP in such bouts. Just pressure and try to end it fast. Do you have an example of a boxer winning a KB match vs a kick boxer?

Try to push forward against someone kicking you in the leg.

There's not an example that I know of, though that doesn't mean that they don't exist. I have more examples of kickboxers being successful in boxing than the other way around. Tyrone Spong and Kyotaro are top heavyweights in boxing now.

I know about 15 years ago at a local kickboxing event there were a boxer vs kickboxer matchup. The boxer took 1 legkick and panicked, rushed in and finished the kickboxer with a rain of punches. In the post fight interview he said that when he took that legkick he felt the pain and knew if he took another one he would go down and lose.

Not the same fight but here's an example and the only one I can find on the internet with a boxer rushing in and winning. Fight starts at around 8:30 in the video.

I know about 15 years ago at a local kickboxing event there were a boxer vs kickboxer matchup. The boxer took 1 legkick and panicked, rushed in and finished the kickboxer with a rain of punches. In the post fight interview he said that when he took that legkick he felt the pain and knew if he took another one he would go down and lose.

Not the same fight but here's an example and the only one I can find on the internet with a boxer rushing in and winning. Fight starts at around 8:30 in the video.

That was a staged fight. That kickboxer, took a dive on purpose if he didnt take that dive he could have clinched the boxer and knee'd him from there. Or sweeped him.

LOMA is big brain guy strengthened by years of Soviet arithmetic. He'll find a way to make it work, easily.

Back