Low testosterone after steroid injection

ImmigrantMentality

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone here ever get a steroid injection for any type of joint pain and notice any side effects? Since I got an injection in my wrist a couple weeks ago I've noticed a number of symptoms, one being my sleep quality seems to have gone, also I've been experiencing some type of nauseating feeling in my stomach. Another concern I've had is that it seems my t levels and libido have dropped considerably. I can't think of any other changes that have occurred recently in my life besides the shot. I'm approaching my 29th birthday so I don't think I've gotten to that age where I would just have a sudden drop in testosterone within such a short time frame.

Corticosteriods can potentiate epinephrine and nor epinephrine so that can explain some of your sleep quality getting thrown off. Nausea can also happen. But those sides are usually dose and frequency dependent. If you're still having side effects weeks after only one injection then you need to see a doctor.

Have you had blood work done to confirm your plummeting test levels? If not, then there's no concrete way to know if you're truly experiencing hypogonadism or if this is just a somatization of your symptoms.

Corticosteriods can potentiate epinephrine and nor epinephrine so that can explain some of your sleep quality getting thrown off. Nausea can also happen. But those sides are usually dose and frequency dependent. If you're still having side effects weeks after only one injection then you need to see a doctor.

Have you had blood work done to confirm your plummeting test levels? If not, then there's no concrete way to know if you're truly experiencing hypogonadism or if this is just a somatization of your symptoms.
They gave me several shots in my wrist about 10 days ago, not just one. My t levels didn't seem off initially it was just the other symptoms but here in the last 5 days or so is when I have had a big decrease in my sex drive. I have considered if it is my sleep issues that are causing the problem rather than the shot itself but I have had worse problems with sleep in the past where my libido didn't feel so low. I've been looking online and have read many articles stating that corticosteroids can cause ed, and also some threads from other men having the same issues. I really don't think it's a coincidence that all of us have had the same issues but I am waiting a little longer to see if my symptoms will improve, or I may have to have my levels checked

yes corticosteroids can reduce T levels. one shot is unlikely to effect levels though.
generally recommend staying away from corticosteroid injections.. unless you're having an acute flare up of an autoimmune related arthritis. bad for joints long term.

^wufabula - it wouldn't be considered somatization because he has an organic explanation for his symptoms.

Last edited:
yes corticosteroids can reduce T levels. one shot is unlikely to effect levels though.
generally recommend staying away from corticosteroid injections.. unless you're having an acute flare up of an autoimmune related arthritis. bad for joints long term.

^wufabula - it wouldn't be considered somatization because he has an organic explanation for his symptoms. it doesn't sound like a
At a minimum I had at least two steroid injections, one in my ulna bone that was in a lot of pain, and the other in a cyst that they had found in my mri. Overall I had anywhere from 4-6 needles go into my wrist but I am unsure if the other injections were just to numb me. I am pretty sure the shot has reduced my t levels, do you know how long the decrease in testosterone lasts? I'm really hoping it's not something long term or permanent

Get blood work to confirm your suspicions.

You're just paranoid and will be fine. I got a few corticosteroid shots for my psoriatic arthritis and my T is super high these days. Try aip diet.

At a minimum I had at least two steroid injections, one in my ulna bone that was in a lot of pain, and the other in a cyst that they had found in my mri. Overall I had anywhere from 4-6 needles go into my wrist but I am unsure if the other injections were just to numb me. I am pretty sure the shot has reduced my t levels, do you know how long the decrease in testosterone lasts? I'm really hoping it's not something long term or permanent

shouldn't be long term or permanent. get back to sleeping, eating, and training how you were before and you should be feeling better in no time. extra bloodwork is probably excessive.

Paranoid

Takes weeks to totally shut down, a few injections in a short space of time will be meaningless

It's normal to have reduced libido when you're in crazy pain that requires those injections.

Get blood work before you jump to conclusions.

It's normal to have reduced libido when you're in crazy pain that requires those injections.

Get blood work before you jump to conclusions.
I wasn't in crazy pain it was just a nagging injury that I was putting off for months hoping it would recover on its own but it didn't. Then my doctor basically suckered me into getting the shots when I didn't really want them. I felt just fine before the shots but now I am actually starting to feel normal again but still not quite the same. Blood work I don't feel like getting because I don't think this is gonna be a permanent or long term issue and plus bloodwork will only confirm if I have low t, not what the actual issue is so it would just be sending me down another rabbit hole that I don't think is worth getting into right now

Anyone here ever get a steroid injection for any type of joint pain and notice any side effects? Since I got an injection in my wrist a couple weeks ago I've noticed a number of symptoms, one being my sleep quality seems to have gone, also I've been experiencing some type of nauseating feeling in my stomach. Another concern I've had is that it seems my t levels and libido have dropped considerably. I can't think of any other changes that have occurred recently in my life besides the shot. I'm approaching my 29th birthday so I don't think I've gotten to that age where I would just have a sudden drop in testosterone within such a short time frame.

Yeah, without blood work to confirm, there is no way to tell! There are a whole bunch of things that can affect testosterone levels, but always ask a medical professional about important things like that over a message board.

Yeah, without blood work to confirm, there is no way to tell! There are a whole bunch of things that can affect testosterone levels, but always ask a medical professional about important things like that over a message board.
A lot of medical professionals are overrated though.

A lot of medical professionals are overrated though.
24812.jpg

My mom can't stop watching.

Back