Luke Thomas does an entire video throwing shade at Helwani, basically callling him a Conor shill

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

f7FdEdG_d.jpg

He doesnt mention ariels name, but its pretty obvious who he is talking about

Some bits from the youtube comments section:

bs18201
"Whatever you do don’t say Ariel Helwani"

Benjamin Young1
So much shade thrown at Ariel it’s hilarious

Mackenson Sparks1
The burial of Ariel helwani begins

sdfbf1
we all know Ariel Helwani will bow down and thank his lord Conor every time he is granted an interview with his king and idol, no matter what bad deeds he does

Breno Girafa1
that's honest af. Ariel's interview was completely vanilla.

<This7>

Cliffs by @Phisher

MMA journalism
  • Stopped calling himself a "journalist" recently because he realizes that it's a totally dishonest description of what he does.
    • Says the fact that he ever called himself one is a "personal failing" and apologizes for having done so.
  • Most MMA "interviews" including press scrums are fake.
    • Luke has cut back on doing interviews because it's almost impossible to do a tough interview without losing access.
    • To get continued access to MMA figures (even minor ones) you have to play a game where you never really harshly criticize them in public to the point of dishonesty about what's going on in the sport.
    • Has had fighters refuse to do interviews with him over extremely mild criticism: i.e. saying that a fighter had "bad cardio" after a fight where he gassed out.
  • The sport isn't big or relevant enough for proper journalism.
    • There's no mandated media outside of promotional pressers, so the fighters have every right to shut out people that they don't like.
  • Says that in order to be an honest actor in the MMA media sphere, you have to make a decision about whether you want to do interviews or real commentary on the sport.
    • To do the latter effectively, you're going to have to speak in a manner that will lose you access to most fighters/manager/trainers etc.
    • This was one of the reasons why he bailed on The MMA Hour.
  • Has refocused his radio show to doing interviews with actual sports journalists instead of fighters/managers.
    • Thinks that it's much easier to have honest conversations with boxing people. This is one of the reasons that he's ventured into boxing coverage.
  • As a media figure, he's done playing the game trying to appease people. Doesn't care if people in the industry hate what he says.
  • The MMA Journalists Association is a joke organization.
    • Doesn't address wide scale structural problems in MMA media.
    • Is not in a position to actually do anything for its members.

McGregor ESPN interview
  • Not much of substance besides the news about the Gaethje fight and his hand issue.
  • Apology was just PR.
    • If McGregor wants to change perceptions, he should stop acting like an idiot in public.
  • McGregor is good for the sport when his head is on straight.
  • Says it was ridiculous that the topic of the New York Times story about the rape investigation was not broached.
    • Acknowledges that this is a legal landmine for McGregor and that he can't go into detail about this stuff even if he is innocent, but says that's McGregor's issue to deal with.
    • The interviewer had a responsibility to his audience ask McGregor about a story that ran in one of the biggest newspapers on the planet.
    • Acknowledges that this likely would have been the last interview that Ariel ever did with McGregor if this question would have been asked.
    • However, maintains that it is the responsibility of a real journalist to raise the issue of McGregor's escalating pattern of anti-social behavior.
  • The interview was essentially just PR for McGregor.
  • Says that the same level of scrutiny that Greg Hardy gets about his past should be applied to everybody.
    • i.e. Khabib should be getting tough questions about his association with Kadyrov.

Last edited:
I love how loyal Ariel is to Conor even after getting stiffed for that PPV interview.

I love how loyal Ariel is to Conor even after getting stiffed for that PPV interview.
loyal? how can you be loyal to someone that youre benefiting from so much? loyalty is tested when you dont benefit from someone.

Ariel got more clicks off that interview than any interview hes done in the past year or YEARS.

f7FdEdG_d.jpg

bs18201

Benjamin Young1

Mackenson Sparks1

sdfbf1
we all know Ariel Helwani will bow down and thank his lord Conor every time he is granted an interview with his king and idol, no matter what bad deeds he does

Breno Girafa1

cant wait to listen to this cheers

Luke is a great guy, former marine and although I disagree with some stuff he says he can articulate himself better than most

Helwani is an instigating little rat, and will jump ship for basketball the second he gets

Luke Bless

Luke would KO Ariel Helwani stiff in violent fashion

f7FdEdG_d.jpg

bs18201

Benjamin Young1

Mackenson Sparks1

sdfbf1

Breno Girafa1

Based Luke. Fook the slimy weasel, not even the purple goof likes him.

Luke is jeaulous that the GOAT MMA journalist got the interview of the year while he has to share a booth with Brendan Shcaubhc

Well Ariel has had a hard on for Conor since day one

"You seem like a very good catch" - Ariel Helwani

upload_2019-8-23_15-27-46.png

Lol might be worth listening to. Little Mermaid is a pitiful “journalist” but the bar is so low. I feel kind of bad for Luke because he’s put so many years in and he doesn’t really have much of an audience and frankly he’s not very good. Basically bringing “Pardon the Interruption” level stupidity to MMA.

Luke would literally swallow if Conor agreed to come onto his show. What the fuck is he talking about?

loyal? how can you be loyal to someone that youre benefiting from so much? loyalty is tested when you dont benefit from someone.

Ariel got more clicks off that interview than any interview hes done in the past year or YEARS.

All I know is if someone stiffed me, that would be the end of our professional relationship.

5 min in...he hasn’t said anything
Its not a direct attack.

If you are expecting him to go directly at him to start a fight you'll be disappointed. He speaks in broad terms, exactly to avoid that. Its more of a throwing shade thing than calling him out.

But as you can see from the comment section i posted, thats pretty much what the video is about. Those are the top voted comments, with hundreds of votes and the video isnt even 1 hour old. I didnt cherry pick to make this point.

Back