Luke Thomas does an entire video throwing shade at Helwani, basically callling him a Conor shill

Soooo Luke fails at MMA “journalism” and his recourse is to trash the whole industry? This sounds more like sour grapes than anything else. Good luck in boxing, Luke. Ask a pro boxer about his pending rape case and see how that goes.

Looks like Luke is trying to rebrand himself.

Too late i can't watch anything hes on.

How did he fail? He's in a better position now than he was a few months ago.

He has two new media gigs and is getting paid more money to do less work on a much bigger platform (Showtime).

He's the one who walked away from MMA Fighting. Not the other way around.

He's right, but people will make fun of him anyways.

It was a major story that ran in a major media outlet, and it's part of series of incidents that have tarnished his reputation.

This is stuff that would be discussed incessantly by the media any major sport.

The fact that it hasn't even been brought up, to the best of my knowledge, by any of the people at ESPN who cover MMA is ridiculous.

If you want the non-MMA news, stick to the non-MMA media outlets. If I'm watching an interview with an MMA journalist, I wanna know the news directly connected to MMA.

Everything else is background noise. It is irrelevant in this context.

If you want the non-MMA news, stick to the non-MMA media outlets. If I'm watching an interview with an MMA journalist, I wanna know the news directly connected to MMA.

Everything else is background noise. It is irrelevant in this context.

Dude. How the fuck is the ongoing pattern of criminal behavior of the biggest name in the sport, which is inhibiting his ability to compete, not relevant to MMA?

This isn't a serious argument. You're just being obtuse.

Liked for the cliffs, but this feels like standard Luke Thomas stating the obvious as if he's the only one in the world who sees it.

Combat sports "journalists" essentially work in fight promotion. No shit. "Journalism" in general is "sensationalism". No shit.

Trust me. What he's saying is far from obvious to casuals and mainstream fans

He's just salty Ariel gets all the good interviews

I know that most of you guys hate Luke, but I thought that this was a thoughtful and introspective take on the state of the "MMA media" and that softball interview on ESPN yesterday.

Cliffs:

MMA journalism
  • Stopped calling himself a "journalist" recently because he realizes that it's a totally dishonest description of what he does.
    • Says the fact that he ever called himself one is a "personal failing" and apologizes for having done so.
  • Most MMA "interviews" including press scrums are fake.
    • Luke has cut back on doing interviews because it's almost impossible to do a tough interview without losing access.
    • To get continued access to MMA figures (even minor ones) you have to play a game where you never really harshly criticize them in public to the point of dishonesty about what's going on in the sport.
    • Has had fighters refuse to do interviews with him over extremely mild criticism: i.e. saying that a fighter had "bad cardio" after a fight where he gassed out.
  • The sport isn't big or relevant enough for proper journalism.
    • There's no mandated media outside of promotional pressers, so the fighters have every right to shut out people that they don't like.
  • Says that in order to be an honest actor in the MMA media sphere, you have to make a decision about whether you want to do interviews or real commentary on the sport.
    • To do the latter effectively, you're going to have to speak in a manner that will lose you access to most fighters/manager/trainers etc.
    • This was one of the reasons why he bailed on The MMA Hour.
  • Has refocused his radio show to doing interviews with actual sports journalists instead of fighters/managers.
    • Thinks that it's much easier to have honest conversations with boxing people. This is one of the reasons that he's ventured into boxing coverage.
  • As a media figure, he's done playing the game trying to appease people. Doesn't care if people in the industry hate what he says.
  • The MMA Journalists Association is a joke organization.
    • Doesn't address wide scale structural problems in MMA media.
    • Is not in a position to actually do anything for its members.

McGregor ESPN interview
  • Not much of substance besides the news about the Gaethje fight and his hand issue.
  • Apology was just PR.
    • If McGregor wants to change perceptions, he should stop acting like an idiot in public.
  • McGregor is good for the sport when his head is on straight.
  • Says it was ridiculous that the topic of the New York Times story about the rape investigation was not broached.
    • Acknowledges that this is a legal landmine for McGregor and that he can't go into detail about this stuff even if he is innocent, but says that's McGregor's issue to deal with.
    • The interviewer had a responsibility to his audience ask McGregor about a story that ran in one of the biggest newspapers on the planet.
    • Acknowledges that this likely would have been the last interview that Ariel ever did with McGregor if this question would have been asked.
    • However, maintains that it is the responsibility of a real journalist to raise the issue of McGregor's escalating pattern of anti-social behavior.
  • The interview was essentially just PR for McGregor.
  • Says that the same level of scrutiny that Greg Hardy gets about his past should be applied to everybody.
    • i.e. Khabib should be getting tough questions about his association with Kadyrov.

Closes the video by apologizing again for most of his coverage of the sport up until this point. Will try to do better. Welcomes criticism from fans.

More fighters hate Luke than they do Ariel. Pretty sure it's just him.

Conor's never shied away from answering questions about his out of cage actions.

Plus major LOL at Luke's attempt to covering boxing more. Good luck with that.

He's a fellow Dying Fetus fan so i don't entirely hate him. The CBS boxing guy is way better on that Kombat show.

Just because you've been in the game 15 years and the furthest you've gotten in life is becoming Brendan Shaub's employee, don't take it our on other people who have reached their dreams just because you have nothing to show for yours. Jesus christ. Is his job just to talk about what everyone else in the media is doing because he can't do it. The guy spends hours of his life scrolling through youtube videos and google trends so he can tell us how popular he thinks Nate Diaz is. Lol. Pathetic.

Let him live.

He’s right on basically all points. That hurt to type, consider we’re talking about Luke Thomas here.

Luke is right about a lot of things, he just comes comes off as a pompous douche to many people so it blinds them from evaluating what he actually says.

Just because you've been in the game 15 years and the furthest you've gotten in life is becoming Brendan Shaub's employee, don't take it our on other people who have reached their dreams just because you have nothing to show for yours. Jesus christ. Is his job just to talk about what everyone else in the media is doing because he can't do it. The guy spends hours of his life scrolling through youtube videos and google trends so he can tell us how popular he thinks Nate Diaz is. Lol. Pathetic.
And yet you made a thread about him...that's not a good look for you.

<6>

Can you explain what happened? What is the context of your thread?

So Luke was able to make the Conor interview about himself for a large portion of the video..... what a surprise.

the guy is such a twat. Acts like he knows it all and is somehow superior to other MMA media members. His breakdowns of fights fucking piss me off also, who the fuck does he think he is? He's the new Marc Laimon without any actual coaching experience(or a BJJ blackbelt)

I like Luke.Hope he continues to upset all the UFC shills

Luke Thomas is the vegan of all MMA media members. No matter whats on his mind, he must share it with the world as if they give a fuck.

He's Brendan Schuab's employee?

Back