Media Mackenzie Dern poses with the Brazilian Flag on UFC's IG

how does one's accent completely change in a 5 year period....from normal american girl english to not being able to speak fluent english..instead speaking broken english, like pretty much all brazilian fighters that have learned a little of english do. this is a girl who was born and raised in america...she went to and graduated from an american high school....i'm surprised not more people are calling her out for this fraud.

I never saw this video before and it’s mind boggling hahah!

So you're an expert in this?

My major was linguistics and applied linguistics. I lived and taught as a corporate English trainer in Shanghai for 8 years. I've taught English at the university level for over a decade.

Can you verify it for us them?

Sure. Let me know the next time you're in Atlanta and you can attend one of my classes. I'll even give you a tour of the campus. We have a time capsule in the building I teach in that is pretty amazing.

Cause every person i know who went to the usa and stayed there for a time got problems when speaking portuguese in their return. Even my english teacher by the way

I'm sure.

spanish and portuguese are too similar to make a good comparison

I meant, Spanish/English (my situation) vs. Portuguese/English (hers).

Truly dude, it's absolutely inane to defend this.

It's as clear cut a case of posing and fakery as you are likely to see on the topic.

NOt exactly.
She moved to Brazil and stayed there for a few years.
Then she married a brazilian guy. They probably speak Portuguese at home....

While that's different path than mine, I know ti can happen. I just don't think people would waste so much time trying to train to sound like an immigrant. Especially if they are in US.

I think she identifies with being Brazilian...so she wants people to think she's a brazilian girl.

how does one's accent completely change in a 5 year period....from normal american girl english to not being able to speak fluent english..instead speaking broken english, like pretty much all brazilian fighters that have learned a little of english do. this is a girl who was born and raised in america...she went to and graduated from an american high school....i'm surprised not more people are calling her out for this fraud.

giphy.gif

I can understand developing an accent, but to lose the ability to speak english is just crazy...
i doubt she speaks much english now. her father is a brazillian. she spent a lot of her life in brazil, her partner is a brazilian, i believe she's been living there for years now?

how many languages do you speak?

it's just so weird people would give her shit for this. she either messed up her english by not speaking it at all, or she's doing it purposefully. either way, what does it matter? you guys are acting like she's doing something highly unethical.

I think she identifies with being Brazilian...so she wants people to think she's a brazilian girl.

Its imo really easy. Countries like Brasil or Mexico take not only a lot of pride in their nationality but in Europe or USA you can also market yourself without that. Thats not really possible the other way around. So Dern wins on both ends and makes more money.

She wouldnt even need the fake accent but honestly she doesnt strike me as even moderate intelligent to understand that.

The major thing people are missing is that she is trying to make her main language portuguese. Her husband fully speaks portuguese, and so does her father.

Honestly it can never happen

I’ve known Americans living overseas for 20-30 years and they have 0 chance in accent

just giving a small benefit of the doubt to the guys who argue that there can be some sort of moderate linguistic change

I spent 3 months in Sri Lanka and people noticed how it affected my accent when I came back. Known some people who went to Chile for a year and spoke different when they came back as well. It definitely happens.

15 pgs... it’s official.

T&A sells... to virgins.

The issue isn't her accent.

It's her fake confusion and forced messing up of syntax and grammar in a way she aligns with Brazilians who attempt to speak English as a second language.

Being immersed in another language can indeed cause your *accent* to drift.

It doesn't flip you from perfect fluency to fresh-off-the-boat in terms of grammar and syntax, especially in adults, especially in a fairly short time period.

Thought experiment: Someone kidnaps her child. Tells her to give an impromptu five minute speech in reasonably good English on a topic of her choice or her child "gets it". Do you like for sure think sheez doin it like I'm going to you know be typing it very good? Or is she going to speak in something much closer to standard American English?

Who cares, her ass before pregnancy was perfect.

Chill out incel.

Back