maia believes sigle leg is the best takedown for mma

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

shows part of a interview crazy i feel maia only has such success due to his 2 decades of jj and having insane grip like askren when those hands lock hes got you basically he isnt an explosive guy so yeah he probably would not do well with doubles as in mma if eel you need some spring in your step to have success with it

curious what you guys think

shows part of a interview crazy i feel maia only has such success due to his 2 decades of jj and having insane grip like askren when those hands lock hes got you basically he isnt an explosive guy so yeah he probably would not do well with doubles as in mma if eel you need some spring in your step to have success with it

curious what you guys think

Agree. And not just for MMA, for effective takedowns period.

I’ve always thought doubles can work great if you are 1) young, 2) explosive and 3) flexible. If you are the opposite of those like I am, you will struggle with completing them vs. physically equal or better opponents.

Single legs work well for every body type and they also age well. 40+ guys can still hit them along with foot sweeps and upper body throws in both gi and no gi. I like to spam de ashi barai into either ankle pick or high inside single with O uchi gari.

The takedown that you are the best at is the best takedown to use.

I think everyone has a preference, just like there is no best submission, there is no best takedown.

For GSP, a blast double is his best takedown. For Maia it's a single. For Khabib it's probably a leg drag with an upper body lock against the fence.

Agree. And not just for MMA, for effective takedowns period.

I’ve always thought doubles can work great if you are 1) young, 2) explosive and 3) flexible. If you are the opposite of those like I am, you will struggle with completing them vs. physically equal or better opponents.

Single legs work well for every body type and they also age well. 40+ guys can still hit them along with foot sweeps and upper body throws in both gi and no gi. I like to spam de ashi barai into either ankle pick or high inside single with O uchi gari.

i believe singles work great in wrestling with the shoe in wrestling it and high crotches are my go to's but in mma idk id love to shoot for more singles but i have to waste lots of energy to wrestle to get guys down vs a quick double but i also am quite explosive with my shots

I think everyone has a preference, just like there is no best submission, there is no best takedown.

For GSP, a blast double is his best takedown. For Maia it's a single. For Khabib it's probably a leg drag with an upper body lock against the fence.
leg drag to upper body lock?

Single leg is especially great if you have a Damien Maia guard and can just pull half guard off a failed single leg.

leg drag to upper body lock?
He does that bodylock with an outside trip/dragdown a lot. I believe that's what he is referring to.

i believe singles work great in wrestling with the shoe in wrestling it and high crotches are my go to's but in mma idk id love to shoot for more singles but i have to waste lots of energy to wrestle to get guys down vs a quick double but i also am quite explosive with my shots
Tj dillashaw said the same thing regarding the shoe. Said singles don’t work in mma because the lack of a shoe, but there’s countless examples of that not being true. Maybe it’s a smaller guy thing though, because singles seem to work great at hw

Lol, an upper body lock with an outside trip/drag against the fence.

Sorry for the nomenclature.

tbh i dont see him doing this alot lots of bjj guys do this when guys get a very wide base but iv only seen khabib reaping the inside like a uchi gari kinda

tbh i dont see him doing this alot lots of bjj guys do this when guys get a very wide base but iv only seen khabib reaping the inside like a uchi gari kinda

I don't know the judo terminology but as you see another poster seems to have the same view as mine.

Watch from 6:40 in this video

Last edited:
I don't know the judo terminology but as you see another poster seems to have the same view as mine.

Watch from 6:40 in this video

its kinda like a polish throw i see what you mean now yeah pat downey hit that move on gordan ryan 2 weeks ago

i guess its kind of a feel move which is why theirs 0 instructionals on it online anywhere

Agree with posters above that the best TD is the one you know the best. And the double probably IS the most common high probability TD for pro fighters and high level grapplers. But almost all of that subset are explosive 20-35 year olds with great technique and set ups.

But even among former high level wrestlers, attempting doubles away from the cage seems to be almost nonexistent once they hit mid late 30's. I'm thinking guys like Randy, Hendo, Yoel and Sherk come to mind (he wasn't a "high level" wrestler but had a crazy explosive double until his second UFC run in his 30's).

But for those of us who aren't pro fighters or high level BB's, IME shooting for a double vs. someone much larger and/or equal or greater skill and explosion is a recipe for getting stuffed. Something like basic O goshi or bodylock + O uchi gari or O soto gari is much easier to learn and implement by any body type.

Agree with posters above that the best TD is the one you know the best. And the double probably IS the most common high probability TD for pro fighters and high level grapplers. But almost all of that subset are explosive 20-35 year olds with great technique and set ups.

But even among former high level wrestlers, attempting doubles away from the cage seems to be almost nonexistent once they hit mid late 30's. I'm thinking guys like Randy, Hendo, Yoel and Sherk come to mind (he wasn't a "high level" wrestler but had a crazy explosive double until his second UFC run in his 30's).

But for those of us who aren't pro fighters or high level BB's, IME shooting for a double vs. someone much larger and/or equal or greater skill and explosion is a recipe for getting stuffed. Something like basic O goshi or bodylock + O uchi gari or O soto gari is much easier to learn and implement by any body type.

well thats why i said for mma i mean vs good guys tbh un trained people or even basic grapplers sure u can take most down with a simple run pipe tbh thats my go to finish on guys who arnt good is head inside run pipe

i believe in tier list for a reason i think u can say their is a best takedown for top level mma in stats when 70% of takedowns come from a single attack i feel that proves its the best out of the rest same with subs being the rnc kinda hard to say the rnc isnt the greatest
ic ant think of another attack a 6 yearold can use to choke out a grown man

well thats why i said for mma i mean vs good guys tbh un trained people or even basic grapplers sure u can take most down with a simple run pipe tbh thats my go to finish on guys who arnt good is head inside run pipe

i believe in tier list for a reason i think u can say their is a best takedown for top level mma in stats when 70% of takedowns come from a single attack i feel that proves its the best out of the rest same with subs being the rnc kinda hard to say the rnc isnt the greatest
ic ant think of another attack a 6 yearold can use to choke out a grown man

Agree and as I say above, it's clear that doubles are the most used TD at the top level. But I'm just pointing out that even for the subset of grapplers that can hit it well in their prime, it doesn't age well as a technique. RNC and TDs like single run the pipe, convert to high crotch lift and majority of Judo TD's can be performed by 50 yo's without required explosion for level change, penetration and sweep step.

imagine gsp with maia's bjj holy cow.. i dont think u could stop this fighter

imagine gsp with maia's bjj holy cow.. i dont think u could stop this fighter
Agree and as I say above, it's clear that doubles are the most used TD at the top level. But I'm just pointing out that even for the subset of grapplers that can hit it well in their prime, it doesn't age well as a technique. RNC and TDs like single run the pipe, convert to high crotch lift and majority of Judo TD's can be performed by 50 yo's without required explosion for level change, penetration and sweep step.
chris weidman has the very best single leg iv ever seen n mma iv never seen him fight anyone who he didnt takedown with a run pipe he took down reyes,romero,rockhold,silva, ect he must be strong as fuck

The easiest finish on a single leg is grabbing both legs.

its kinda like a polish throw i see what you mean now yeah pat downey hit that move on gordan ryan 2 weeks ago

i guess its kind of a feel move which is why theirs 0 instructionals on it online anywhere

I don't have a video for it, but at times he doesn't even need to lift the guy off his feet. If your weight is all on one side, he just drags your weighted leg with his leg and you go down.

I don't have a video for it, but at times he doesn't even need to lift the guy off his feet. If your weight is all on one side, he just drags your weighted leg with his leg and you go down.
yeah its like a modded polish throw in terms of fundamentals its wrong to do trying to lock your leg up with theirs is dangerous like how hooking into someones leg for takedowns is bad

Back