maia believes sigle leg is the best takedown for mma

yeah its like a modded polish throw in terms of fundamentals its wrong to do trying to lock your leg up with theirs is dangerous like how hooking into someones leg for takedowns is bad

It's been working for Khabib's whole career. Nobody has stopped it.

Maia isn't wrong. Same story in wrestling, too. Everybody tries for single legs; rarely do you see somebody with a consistent double-leg in their game (except Burroughs and sometimes some guys from the Russian team).

It's been working for Khabib's whole career. Nobody has stopped it.
well thats cool thing about those type takedowns is your balance and strength cant save you its gravity tbh only till last 3 years did i start to learn upperbody clinching i use to eb ta ffraid of failing and felt clinch is a 5050 poition and strength mattered so i fought my whole amateur early pro career shooting singles doubles and valley drop like takedown if i got the back khabib really made a believer out of it

but its kinda hard to try to emulate what he does because usually his takedowns arnt tect book usually some weird judo/sambo hybrid technique that he gets away with only due to years training insane strength body awareness

but yeah dc uses it too think he does his a little different theirs vids of him even teaching it 6 years ago or so on youtube

Maia isn't wrong. Same story in wrestling, too. Everybody tries for single legs; rarely do you see somebody with a consistent double-leg in their game (except Burroughs and sometimes some guys from the Russian team).

i study the helll out of mma grappling only guy is ee doing well with the single leg is colby chris weidman and kamaru usman but tbh usman usually just hols onto single pushes them to fence and gets into over under

colby either runs pipe finishes with running knee tap or he tree tops like he did to take down robbie in round 2

weidman just outside single run pipes everyone he fights has the best run pipe ever in mma

fighting good guys who have good tdd and can rpessure you back with strikes after failed takedowns singles are quite risky man without the shoe its very hard to do tradiitonal singles atleast after round 1 i feel singles work best at hw and lhw but not at lighter weights. at lighter weights doubles work better cause u can lock their body down kills balance and scrambling

i truly do wish they worked better at good levels chael even says ill give anyone a single leg
that goes against him saying he has total faith he can stop them

I always appreciated Maia's clinch then getting the back from that against the fence, one of his best ways to get someone down, As Joshua Fabia would want "If it gets sticky take him to the ground" thats what Maia does really fucking well.
Hope he wins, I do like Burns too, serious BJJ achievements beating Sergio Moraes and Kron.

I always appreciated Maia's clinch then getting the back from that against the fence, one of his best ways to get someone down, As Joshua Fabia would want "If it gets sticky take him to the ground" thats what Maia does really fucking well.
Hope he wins, I do like Burns too, serious BJJ achievements beating Sergio Moraes and Kron.

I hope Burns doesn't turn it into a striking match and plays BJJ.

i study the helll out of mma grappling only guy is ee doing well with the single leg is colby chris weidman and kamaru usman but tbh usman usually just hols onto single pushes them to fence and gets into over under

colby either runs pipe finishes with running knee tap or he tree tops like he did to take down robbie in round 2

weidman just outside single run pipes everyone he fights has the best run pipe ever in mma

fighting good guys who have good tdd and can rpessure you back with strikes after failed takedowns singles are quite risky man without the shoe its very hard to do tradiitonal singles atleast after round 1 i feel singles work best at hw and lhw but not at lighter weights. at lighter weights doubles work better cause u can lock their body down kills balance and scrambling

i truly do wish they worked better at good levels chael even says ill give anyone a single leg

Interesting point you're making about singles probability with vs. without shoes. I'm trying to remember singles being stuffed in MMA - are you saying it's easier to limp leg out and away when sweaty and barefoot? I can definitely see that being true in initial scramble but would shoes make any difference once you're straddling their thigh? I'm also wondering if wearing MMA gloves wouldn't make it easier to maintain grip vs. bare hands on bare leg when sweaty.

Last edited:
I agree with him, it’s my favorite as well.

it’s versatile compared to the double. The double is more of an “all-in” type move. Sure it had variations on its finishes but in a lot of them you run the risk of being sprawled on which sucks especially if you like competing in an absolute division like me.

the single i feel it’s easier to chain wrestle and offset your opponents balance. Back when I competed in MMA if I knew I was against another decent grappler I would like to initiate a single, drive them into the fence, and strike off the break. Again easy to do since it’s not as committed as shooting a double. Good way to mix things up.

Last edited:
Interesting point you're making about singles probability with vs. without shoes. I'm trying to remember singles being stuffed in MMA - are you saying it's easier to limp leg out and away when sweaty and barefoot? I can definitely see that being true in initial scramble but would shoes make any difference once you're straddling their thigh? I'm also wondering if wearing MMA gloves wouldn't make it easier to maintain grip vs. bare hands on bare leg when sweaty.

yes aldo was first guy i saw really use the limp leg escape guys use to whizzer and put their shin on guys hip extend but u can then chain wrestle from there so good guys learnt to deal with it

without the shoe its very hard to control singles go to the gym gt sweaty and take shirt off and try t hold onto a leg its very hard thats why i only like high crotch lift singles as u cant limp out u gotta get that leg in deeeeep vs good guys. not saying it cant be done but why risk a basic single?

lol but very hard to do on anyone half assed

It's funny you say that since i view it basically going the other way; the higher level guys get in chain wrestling, the easier it becomes to defend guys tunnel visioning on singles relative to other options at the same point. Guys like Gerry Abbas, Ben Askren, or Randy Lewis made careers out of 'letting' guys get a single leg, then scoring their own points counterattacking it.

Singles are a good entry point to takedowns, because they are usually one of the first, most 'available' things you can grab on a guy being defensive (which the numbers in terms of frequency bear out), but not necessarily the best 'exit' point at the same time, if you get my meaning. I've probably used this analogy before, but a good way to think of it is like imagining the guy has a rope tied around his waist; you can use that rope to reel him in, so that you can get your hands on him; and once you have reeled him in, you should do so; taking the opportunity to advance to more dominant holds once you are in his space.

The best takedown is a double leg from the open when your opponent is striking. When your in your in and it's done. But since that gets hard to do, the next best thing is to grind them up against the cage with pressure and take whatever they give you. Single, double, throw, bodylock.
I don't think you would be a very successful MMA grappler if you didn't know how to both single and double leg people.

yes aldo was first guy i saw really use the limp leg escape guys use to whizzer and put their shin on guys hip extend but u can then chain wrestle from there so good guys learnt to deal with it

without the shoe its very hard to control singles go to the gym gt sweaty and take shirt off and try t hold onto a leg its very hard thats why i only like high crotch lift singles as u cant limp out u gotta get that leg in deeeeep vs good guys. not saying it cant be done but why risk a basic single?

Interesting you brought up Sonnen before as I recall he did the limp leg escape vs. Anderson when he did the overly dramatic forward roll. Is whizzer w/ shin on other guy's hip NOT what people are taught now as defense vs. single? That's what I do but I'm old as shit and I first learned that as a HS wrestler in early 90's.

You do have a point about being slippery changing the dynamic. I don't have much experience with that because my gym requires rashguards on no gi days and most guys also wear spats, so friction isn't usually a problem when sweaty. The bigger problem is slipping on the sweaty mat when barefoot.

I do agree on high crotch lift - I like to set it up with snap down from collar tie and once you get in deep under their hips doesn't matter if they have shoes, spats or are sweaty. But that's driven by a limitation in my TD game going back to HS wrestling. I always had a shitty, slow double and eventually stopped going for them - had much better success with upper body throws, arm drags and high C lifts that didn't require the explosion and "all-in" commitment of a double.

I don't know the judo terminology but as you see another poster seems to have the same view as mine.

Watch from 6:40 in this video

its kinda like a polish throw i see what you mean now yeah pat downey hit that move on gordan ryan 2 weeks ago

i guess its kind of a feel move which is why theirs 0 instructionals on it online anywhere

I haven't seen any specific quantification about it, but going by impressions, whenever i see successful takedowns in fights between top ten guys, likelier than not, it's gonna be a step-around on the back angle by the cage. Either with an underhook (ura nage), or over-under (ko soto gake/gari).

I haven't seen any specific quantification about it, but going by impressions, whenever i see successful takedowns in fights between top ten guys, likelier than not, it's gonna be a step-around on the back angle by the cage. Either with an underhook (ura nage), or over-under (ko soto gake/gari).

every single vid when you type these name sis show for judo or sambo with cloth so sadly those vids dont help people who want to sue them without cloth

every single vid when you type these name sis show for judo or sambo with cloth so sadly those vids dont help people who want to sue them without cloth

Did you see what i posted? Most of those are from wrestling or mma. Step around, outside trip, and polish throw all bring up relevant results.

Additionally, the ones in judo still serve as useful adjunct studies in the body mechanics involved.

Did you see what i posted? Most of those are from wrestling or mma. Step around, outside trip, and polish throw all bring up relevant results.

Additionally, the ones in judo still serve as useful adjunct studies in the body mechanics involved.
yes but it was showing guys doing it full speed not an actual demo of the technique yeah i use polish throws ect but i was talking more on line of no gi ura nages ect

yes but it was showing guys doing it full speed not an actual demo of the technique yeah i use polish throws ect but i was talking more on line of no gi ura nages ect

I see. I personally tend to prefer looking at live action examples at high levels, when possible.

I see. I personally tend to prefer looking at live action examples at high levels, when possible.
i like that too but u also know certain techiques u cannot justa dd to your game by seeing it live for instance steve mocco use to have killer foot sweeps i really wanted to learn the foot sweep from over/under tons of live examples but its a very technical attack only till recently did steve mocco put out a dvd solely on the foot sweep then i learnt it tons of small details i never would have gotten from just watching a guy doing it live

I think everyone here studies mma grappling. It's a big part of why this exist.

You named three of the best wrestlers in the game as examples of people who use single legs. You also forgot to mention maia, khabib, and Cormier. Gregor Gillespie too. I remember cain using a fair amount of them as well. I think lovato went mostly for singles against gegard but I only watched that fight once.

I'm having a harder time thinking of guys who don't use singles.

Against a guy with good tdd I think doubles are way riskier and lower percentage. You need excellent timing and explosiveness to pull them off.

Back