Mainstream reporter privately claims WWE pitched them on writing an AEW/Domino's Pizza story

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
In general, the whole thing just felt strange, especially when you factor in WWE’s past attempts to brand AEW (and previously WCW) as excessively violent, their long history of of planting stories, and the like. On Friday, Dave Meltzer strongly implied in the newest Wrestling Observer Newsletter (subscribers-only link) that WWE had planted the story, with Rich Kraetsch and Joe Lanza’s Voices of Wrestling Twitter account outright saying that WWE had tried to do so. (A spokesperson for WarnerMedia, asked Friday afternoon about the larger controversy and simmering rumors about WWE involvement, respectfully declined comment.)

There does appear to be something to this: According to a screenshot shared with Babyface v. Heel, a reporter from a mainstream publication, in reaching out about the story, explicitly said that WWE had contacted them about writing a article on the Domino’s/AEW situation. (As a condition of being able to get the screenshot in the first place, I did agree to withhold identifying information about the reporter who sent the message, who does not specialize in professional wrestling coverage.) This comes in spite of the usual insistence on Thursday’s WWE investor call that AEW is not their competition, using the company’s default line that everything is their competition.

https://babyfacevheel.substack.com/p/mainstream-reporter-privately-claims

------------------

Interesting. WWE tried to put out anti-AEW Propaganda. Damn, business is shrewd and brutal.

Coincidentally there's an attempt to cancel Chris Jericho on Twitter at the moment because his wife is a republican lol

In general, the whole thing just felt strange, especially when you factor in WWE’s past attempts to brand AEW (and previously WCW) as excessively violent, their long history of of planting stories, and the like. On Friday, Dave Meltzer strongly implied in the newest Wrestling Observer Newsletter (subscribers-only link) that WWE had planted the story, with Rich Kraetsch and Joe Lanza’s Voices of Wrestling Twitter account outright saying that WWE had tried to do so. (A spokesperson for WarnerMedia, asked Friday afternoon about the larger controversy and simmering rumors about WWE involvement, respectfully declined comment.)

There does appear to be something to this: According to a screenshot shared with Babyface v. Heel, a reporter from a mainstream publication, in reaching out about the story, explicitly said that WWE had contacted them about writing a article on the Domino’s/AEW situation. (As a condition of being able to get the screenshot in the first place, I did agree to withhold identifying information about the reporter who sent the message, who does not specialize in professional wrestling coverage.) This comes in spite of the usual insistence on Thursday’s WWE investor call that AEW is not their competition, using the company’s default line that everything is their competition.

https://babyfacevheel.substack.com/p/mainstream-reporter-privately-claims

------------------

Interesting. WWE tried to put out anti-AEW Propaganda. Damn, business is shrewd and brutal.

Dave is an AEW mark and probably either on or trying to be on the payroll, but if it's true that's hilarious. Vinny Mac still has that competitive fire in him.

Dave is an AEW mark and probably either on or trying to be on the payroll, but if it's true that's hilarious. Vinny Mac still has that competitive fire in him.
Read the whole article and you'll see the kind of tactics WWE use to do in the past.

Coincidentally there's an attempt to cancel Chris Jericho on Twitter at the moment because his wife is a republican lol
You're being kind. She's not just a republican. She's a right-wing nut who thinks the election was stolen. Her mother is even worse. These guys are Trump Nutters. I thought Jericho supported trump because Trump is friends of the wrestling industry, I thought it was a business decision which I got no problem with. But nah, his family actually believes in the full blown right wing rhetoric even down to the vaccines. That shit is kinda of crazy to me. Trump himself took the vaccine and publicly supported them since he left office but man, I guess the damage was done.

The rock is a republican. Vince is a republican. So many wrestlers are republicans, and fighters. It's only the right wing nutters that get attention because they are crazy.

If Vince Mcmahon was spreading memes about being anti-vax and saying the election was stolen, people would look at him sideways too.

You're being kind. She's not just a republican. She's a right-wing nut who thinks the election was stolen. Her mother is even worse. These guys are Trump Nutters. I thought Jericho supported trump because Trump is friends of the wrestling industry, I thought it was a business decision which I got no problem with. But nah, his family actually believes in the full blown right wing rhetoric even down to the vaccines. That shit is kinda of crazy to me. Trump himself took the vaccine and publicly supported them since he left office but man, I guess the damage was done.

The rock is a republican. Vince is a republican. So many wrestlers are republicans, and fighters. It's only the right wing nutters that get attention because they are crazy.

If Vince Mcmahon was spreading memes about being anti-vax and saying the election was stolen, people would look at him sideways too.
Linda McMahon also supported Trump, right?

The vaccines shit is dumb as fuck, but trying to cancel people because of their family members opinions is also dumb as fuck.

The vaccines shit is dumb as fuck, but trying to cancel people because of their family members opinions is also dumb as fuck.
Yes. Most of the wrestling business is. And I don't think the jericho wife thing was as viral. It's just fans crying online. A vocal fanbase. He wasn't going to get canceled or even close in trouble for it.

But his wife is batshit crazy, so his is mother-in-law. It's kinda disappointing to see. I don't expect every wrestler I'm a fan of to agree with my political views or views on religion, but I don't expect them to be fucking crazy. Reading her feed yesterday made me realize Jericho is actually batshit crazy too, but hides it well. I didn't know he went full in on the trump delusion. I thought he was supported trump because business wise, it made sense for his interests. Like a lil' wayne or the Mcmahons. But nah, he actually believes in that shit. That's crazy.

Jorge Masvidal too, that shit is crazy for me to see that Wrestlers and MMA guys, guys whose whole career is to work the public to sell fights or cards are being worked by trump. Weird to me.

I thought the russian stealing the election trump thing was nutty too on the left side, I think its even more nutty that people are excusing their in-country political rival of stealing the election on home soil lol.
Wasn't she at the insurrection? hahaha
Yes

go through the thread if you'd like. Her mom is even more crazier than she is.

Yes. Most of the wrestling business is. And I don't think the jericho wife thing was as viral. It's just fans crying online. A vocal fanbase. He wasn't going to get canceled or even close in trouble for it.

But his wife is batshit crazy, so his is mother-in-law. It's kinda disappointing to see. I don't expect every wrestler I'm a fan of to agree with my political views or views on religion, but I don't expect them to be fucking crazy. Reading her feed yesterday made me realize Jericho is actually batshit crazy too, but hides it well. I didn't know he went full in on the trump delusion. I thought he was supported trump because business wise, it made sense for his interests. Like a lil' wayne or the Mcmahons. But nah, he actually believes in that shit. That's crazy.

Jorge Masvidal too, that shit is crazy for me to see that Wrestlers and MMA guys, guys whose whole career is to work the public to sell fights or cards are being worked by trump. Weird to me.

I thought the russian stealing the election trump thing was nutty too on the left side, I think its even more nutty that people are excusing their in-country political rival of stealing the election on home soil lol.

Yes

go through the thread if you'd like. Her mom is even more crazier than she is.

Meh you kinda learn to accept that a lot of people you like in music or movies or wrestling aren't exactly the smartest people or hang around with the smartest people. Wasn't defending her in the least anyway, my point was it's a coincidence that it started on the same day as the Dominos stuff.

Meh you kinda learn to accept that a lot of people you like in music or movies or wrestling aren't exactly the smartest people or hang around with the smartest people. Wasn't defending her in the least anyway, my point was it's a coincidence that it started on the same day as the Dominos stuff.
Yeah, it's ironic and yeah, I've learn to accept that on the mma side, but to be honest, I'm less attached to mma than I am wrestling. Wrestling is my first passion out of all sports, even though I fall in and out of it. I've read jericho's books. Jericho's grandmother was like my grandmother. She believed wrestling was a shoot despite the business being exposed. She went with what the company told her to cheer for.

It's just so weird seeing a guy I grew up watching go down this derange rabbit hole. I bet if you speak to him and his wife, they'd come off pretty normal, but his wife is like a facebook mom with some weird ass thoughts lol. So I'm disappointed. If I saw a wrestler go full left and start doing pronouns and handicapping people's language, I'd be disapoointed too but not as disappointed. I have to just to try to separate the character from the person.

Undertaker disappointed me too. Kane is a republican, libertarian more specifically, but even Kane comes off more sensible than Undertaker despite pushing party rhetoric. A public official. Undertake spotted with ss parody shirts and what not, just weird to me man.

D8oRYsNV4AEdH83

I believe the McMahon family donated the most of anybody to the Trump Campaign

I believe the McMahon family donated the most of anybody to the Trump Campaign
They are long term friends with trump and trump has supported them in some ways through the years. Linda was in trump's cabinet but that's one thing about the McMahon's. They're all business and what helps their business interests. They're not political zealots.

When Jan 6th happened, Linda separated from trump far the hell away. I believe she accepted the election results. That's what I call a sensible person.

Jericho and Jericho's wife are people who think the election was stolen even til this day. Jericho's mom think antifa did it and post trans memes alot. Her mom literally identifies with q-anon.

Those type of people are crazy. They're so in this delusion, it's wild to see.

They are long term friends with trump and trump has supported them in some ways through the years. Linda was in trump's cabinet but that's one thing about the McMahon's. They're all business and what helps their business interests. They're not political zealots.

When Jan 6th happened, Linda separated from trump far the hell away. I believe she accepted the election results. That's what I call a sensible person.

Jericho and Jericho's wife are people who think the election was stolen even til this day. Jericho's mom think antifa did it and post trans memes alot. Her mom literally identifies with q-anon.

Those type of people are crazy. They're so in this delusion, it's wild to see.

Yeah, I've been following this, didn't realize it was Jericho's mother-in-law that was sort of the ring leader. He's said some stupid fucking shit regarding the election and covid. I also believe he flat out wrestled on dynamite back in September 2020 knowing he had Covid (which he tested positive for). His wife I believe was not only at the January 6th fiasco, but was providing refreshments to actual people who attacked the capitol.

Back