Making the switch from powerlifting to fighting

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
Neat trick. But barbell not hit back. Ok, maybe if you fail rep.

When I got into mma I was just a body builder who did a lot of cardio,played basketball, soccer, etc... And ran 4 days a week. Can confirm that a strength advantage was huge and I had a smidge of wrestling under my belt. I had one year when I was in seventh grade. Flawless season, I didn't win once. It was enough to know how to do a double leg (I was actually quite good at this) and nothing else to speak of. I was able to roll with blue belts no issue right out of the gate. They could beat me, as I had no submission skills except for an americana, but I could control them. Did a novice fight at naga and rolled through those guys in about a minute each, I think I had 6 or 7 matches. Moved up to beginner next and won that too pretty handily once I had a meager submission game (knew the moves but didn't execute well, basically just drove my score up to double digit leads from switching from one unsuccessful sub to another).

Another guy I trained later came over with no wrestling just strong as an ox. He rapper his whole division in about 5 minutes total. They couldn't stop his strength at all and he knew 3 subs well, so he just forced them into those.

As a blue belt I competed in the advanced bracket and had no issue beating those guys, same reason. I left mma to go to powerlifting because my joints aged out of mma really. Couldn't recover any more. Got strong and fat. Got invited, remained fat. Got strong again, got covid, lost 50 pounds off every lift, stayed fat, decided to lose weight and figure out wtf to do now.

When I got into mma I was just a body builder who did a lot of cardio,played basketball, soccer, etc... And ran 4 days a week. Can confirm that a strength advantage was huge and I had a smidge of wrestling under my belt. I had one year when I was in seventh grade. Flawless season, I didn't win once. It was enough to know how to do a double leg (I was actually quite good at this) and nothing else to speak of. I was able to roll with blue belts no issue right out of the gate. They could beat me, as I had no submission skills except for an americana, but I could control them. Did a novice fight at naga and rolled through those guys in about a minute each, I think I had 6 or 7 matches. Moved up to beginner next and won that too pretty handily once I had a meager submission game (knew the moves but didn't execute well, basically just drove my score up to double digit leads from switching from one unsuccessful sub to another).

Another guy I trained later came over with no wrestling just strong as an ox. He rapper his whole division in about 5 minutes total. They couldn't stop his strength at all and he knew 3 subs well, so he just forced them into those.

As a blue belt I competed in the advanced bracket and had no issue beating those guys, same reason. I left mma to go to powerlifting because my joints aged out of mma really. Couldn't recover any more. Got strong and fat. Got invited, remained fat. Got strong again, got covid, lost 50 pounds off every lift, stayed fat, decided to lose weight and figure out wtf to do now.

You can't do just bjj ? maybe it'll be easier on your joints than mma and you'll have a new goal.

You can't do just bjj ? maybe it'll be easier on your joints than mma and you'll have a new goal.
As long as the gym offers more I'll do more. I can never half ass anything, I have to be an ass whole

As long as the gym offers more I'll do more. I can never half ass anything, I have to be an ass whole

Time to grow up grandpa.

Just joking, i'm like you tbh but you should seriously consider doing just bjj. I understand totally the end of your post "figuring what to do next". That'll give you a new goal and put you back on track without destroying your body.

At 42 and heading into another season of amateur American football I'll let you know what else you can do when I find out.

Check out kneesovertoes guy he fixes joints. Free advice and exercises on youtube. Look him up. Basically you do some athletic looking exercises and you're good to go. Split lunge with weight over front foot and some DBs. Sissy squats. Hand to toe stretch with DBs (up to quarter of BW if you want to be athletic). Also isometrics over 70% are great for recovery. Know from personal experience and saw on article on dragondoor.com that is saying the same stuff that I discovered growing up. Steve Justa was a big proponent of isometrics and it helped him recover when in the hospital bed with diabetes.
For food go shrooms like reishi, shiitake, lion's mane, et cetera, vinegar, fermented food and krill oil.
Good luck man.

I know grappling is technical, but I still think someone that's big and strong enough could rag doll a BJJ black belt as a novice. I'm talking about someone like Brian Shaw. He would need minimum training to beat some of the best heavyweight BJJ guys in the world.

I know grappling is technical, but I still think someone that's big and strong enough could rag doll a BJJ black belt as a novice. I'm talking about someone like Brian Shaw. He would need minimum training to beat some of the best heavyweight BJJ guys in the world.

Yep of course strength matters. There’s a video of Hafthor rolling with Gunnar Nelson and Gunnar taps him out; although Thor seem to do pretty good and has some minimal training.

Look at Brock lesnar, great top game and wrestling but his physical attributes and strength really allowed him to dominate some fighters(frank mir, Heath herring, etc).

Honestly it would take years of serious training for either Hafthor or Brian to reach the top level for heavyweights though. Although with a year or two training they could most possibly beat most sub 185lbs elite grapplers. However I would still bet money that there would be more than many elites that could still beat them even trained.

Just my opinion.

Yep of course strength matters. There’s a video of Hafthor rolling with Gunnar Nelson and Gunnar taps him out; although Thor seem to do pretty good and has some minimal training.

Look at Brock lesnar, great top game and wrestling but his physical attributes and strength really allowed him to dominate some fighters(frank mir, Heath herring, etc).

Honestly it would take years of serious training for either Hafthor or Brian to reach the top level for heavyweights though. Although with a year or two training they could most possibly beat most sub 185lbs elite grapplers. However I would still bet money that there would be more than many elites that could still beat them even trained.

Just my opinion.
What would they beat them with? I'm just trying to picture a serious Brian Shaw losing to anyone. He's huge and one of thr strongest men in the world by any metric

You're not taking him down. He can pass your guard by just prying your legs apart. He can power out of a lot or sub attempts. He's too thick to even attempt many subs. His own subs could be sloppy and still be effective due to sheer brute strength.

What would they beat them with? I'm just trying to picture a serious Brian Shaw losing to anyone. He's huge and one of thr strongest men in the world by any metric

You're not taking him down. He can pass your guard by just prying your legs apart. He can power out of a lot or sub attempts. He's too thick to even attempt many subs. His own subs could be sloppy and still be effective due to sheer brute strength.

Against another HW his size advantage isn't the same as against Dustin Poirier. And if he grapples a HW black belt that is world level like the previous poster said he has absolutely no chance. Put him against Werdum or Roger Gracie in a no gi match and see how it goes. We're talking about 6'4 250lbs+ world class black belts. Not LW not WW.

Strength and size play a huge factor in grappling, but skills do to. People often underestimate the importance that strength plays in grappling, but you're underestimating the importance that skills play.

EDIT: I re-read your post, you seriously think HW wrestlers wouldn't take down Brian Shaw ?

Last edited by a moderator:
BrianShawWeightLoss.jpg

6ft 8 and about 400 pounds according to wikipedia. AND he's fucking strong. How many high level bjj guys are going to be his size lol? I'm talking about BJJ specifically. There probably are some wrestlers who could take him down, but even a lot of them would struggle just because mass and strength are enough to negate a certain percentage of skill.

I don't think he would do well in MMA due to being older, slow, and no striking background. I think he could crush in BJJ.

BrianShawWeightLoss.jpg

6ft 8 and about 400 pounds according to wikipedia. AND he's fucking strong. How many high level bjj guys are going to be his size lol? I'm talking about BJJ specifically. There probably are some wrestlers who could take him down, but even a lot of them would struggle just because mass and strength are enough to negate a certain percentage of skill.

I don't think he would do well in MMA due to being older, slow, and no striking background. I think he could crush in BJJ.

Also Dustin poirier isn’t that high level of a grappler IMO. Not physically very strong nor have good wrestling even for a lighweight.

He let him do that to him though. If he were going 100 percent he would have top position and could keep it. Triangle would be the only option and again guard could be passed just by prying their legs apart.

Also, Shaw is bigger.

He let him do that to him though. If he were going 100 percent he would have top position and could keep it. Triangle would be the only option and again guard could be passed just by prying their legs apart.

Also, Shaw is bigger.

No he did not “let him do that to him” did you watch the video I posted? They were both trying, not with 100 percent intensity, but it was a good effort in their roll.

But yes Brian is probably 80-100lbs heavier than thor right now so I’ll give you that one.

This might be entirely different with Brian/Hafthor with a year or more training.

And yes plenty of wrestlers are going to take both guys down.

BrianShawWeightLoss.jpg

If he could crush HWs in bjj believe me he would go for it. He just can't. He wont out grapple Werdum, Roger Gracie, Marcus Almeida or Rodolfo Viera. We're talking about 6'3+/240lbs+ HW men that are world class black belt grapplers here. They would literally eat brian shaw for breakfast in a bjj match, gi or no gi.

Listen I'm not a grear grappler but i've grappled some. A little guy with a black belt will toy with you if you're a beginner.

Plus shaw would gas in 2 minutes against world class HW black belts. They will made him carry their weight, not the contrary.

I respect strong man events and brian shaw, he's one of the best at his sport, but it doesn't mean shit in grappling at high level against other HW.

You're totally delusional if you think he has a chance to do anything in BJJ at HW. Maybe if he enters a white belt tournament yes he will have results because of his size and strength. But HW weight purple belts would beat him no problem. The fact that you think he'd stand a chance against black belt HW world champs and that I have to explain it to you is so ridiculous.

BrianShawWeightLoss.jpg

And HW wrestlers would put a clinic on him in a wrestling match. Again we're talking about 250lbs wrestlers here. Shaw wouldn't make it competitive wrestling against Geno Petriashvili or Sadualev, let alone beat them. They'd take him down at will and make him look like a lost child. They're 260lbs world champions, you can't imagine the amount of skills these guys have. Honestly ridiculous.

Say shaw is the best strongman and i'll gladly agree. Stop saying that means shit at grappling against other HWs.

Still think you're wrong. His size, weight and strength would be too much for a BJJ guy. Nobody knows how it will go unless he gets into it and competes. I doubt he will do it anytime soon, but I would love to see him try after his strong man days are over.

Still think you're wrong. His size, weight and strength would be too much for a BJJ guy. Nobody knows how it will go unless he gets into it and competes. I doubt he will do it anytime soon, but I would love to see him try after his strong man days are over.

I think you'd be surprised/Rogan

Back