Making the switch from powerlifting to fighting

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
I have seen a former pro football player go ape shit against the instructor, 240lbs v estimated 165 and the instructor didn't have an issue finding the back and choking. As a blue belt at 171 I thought there was little chance I'd win if it was me and would likely end up hurt too.

Also I think it's interesting that starting strong in bjj tends to hamper skill development as you can get away with a lot, whereas tiny guys need to get the technique right otherwise it won't work. For that reason I think strong women like Gabi are a different beast - they can, and do, roll with the strong guys as they learn - so they get the best of both worlds

Last edited:
Yeah i pretty much agree. Mma has evolved into its own striking and footwork. Interesting to note that Aldo and Yan both have very strong boxing base and influence, so muay thai needs boxing in mma and vice versa.

I still think that the muay thai clinch needs to be mastered and adapted if you want to be good in mma. It's an area that pretty much only muay thai trains outside of mma.

And love the age shit haha will probably use myself

PS: look up Dany Bill if you want to see a nak muay with a dynamic footwork style
Modern kickboxing evolved from muay thai. Dat leg kick. It holds all the belts

Last edited:
Modern kickboxing evolved from muay thai. Dat leg kick. It holds all the belts

Yes. Japanese and western kickboxer alike took heavy influence from muay thai starting from the 70's (i think?). Westerns added the leg kicks and other muay thai arsenal to the "shiny pants" kickboxing to make the modern version. And japanese integrated it to full contact karate and it lead to the creation of K1 rules and tournament (great time to be alive btw, that was my introduction to combat sports as a teenager).

But have you seen a traditional muay thai match ? It's very static, exchanging middle kicks for a long time etc. Now watch Glory, the boxing is a bit better and so is the footwork. They're different sports today. MMA striking evolved from them both to be something unique because of the unique ruleset of mma obviously.

Yes. Japanese and western kickboxer alike took heavy influence from muay thai starting from the 70's (i think?). Westerns added the leg kicks and other muay thai arsenal to the "shiny pants" kickboxing to make the modern version. And japanese integrated it to full contact karate and it lead to the creation of K1 rules and tournament (great time to be alive btw, that was my introduction to combat sports as a teenager).

But have you seen a traditional muay thai match ? It's very static, exchanging middle kicks for a long time etc. Now watch Glory, the boxing is a bit better and so is the footwork. They're different sports today. MMA striking evolved from them both to be something unique because of the unique ruleset of mma obviously.
I'm just saying if you don't know enough muay thai to defend those leg kicks you're toast.

I'm just saying if you don't know enough muay thai to defend those leg kicks you're toast.

Well modern kickboxing teaches you defense against muay thai since a long time now, even Kyokushin does.

But IMO you still need to have knowledge of muay thai to be really succesful in mma today because it's - to my knowledge - the one and only art that teaches you to fight efficiently in the clinch. Thai plum, elbows, knees, body control... Look at Silva/Franklin fights. So yes Muay Thai is still a staple.

Well modern kickboxing teaches you defense against muay thai since a long time now, even Kyokushin does.

But IMO you still need to have knowledge of muay thai to be really succesful in mma today because it's - to my knowledge - the one and only art that teaches you to fight efficiently in the clinch. Thai plum, elbows, knees, body control... Look at Silva/Franklin fights. So yes Muay Thai is still a staple.
I can agree

Back