International Manhunt in Belgium

tonni

POTY 2020
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57168576

Special Belgian police units are searching for a heavily armed soldier with far-right views who they believe poses a serious threat.

The suspect has been named as Jurgen Conings, a military shooting instructor who took weapons from a barracks.

He is said to have made threats in the past against virologist Marc Van Ranst, who led Belgium's public health response to coronavirus.

Mr Van Ranst and his family have been taken to a safe place.

Latest reports say as many as 350 police and some military have been deployed in and around a national park near the Dutch border. Six shots or "detonations" were reportedly heard in the area at 18:35 local time (17:35 BST) but it is unclear if this was gunfire. A motorway going through the area was closed because of the operation.

Apparently, our suspect is a former sniper in the military. He's armed and supposedly even has rocket launchers.

The political angle here is that he's apparently a far right extremist who is also on a terrorist watchlist.

UPDATE:

He's still on the run. He has been "spotted" by an elementary schoolkid in a small town in Belgium.

Apparently he boobie trapped his cars to blow up the cops that would've opened the door.

Last edited:
Interesting to see how it plays out. What constitutes far right in Belgium?

Replies to this could be tasty.
Haha. Meh... just curious. I'm guessing it's anti-government but I also saw some racist stuff at the bottom of the article

pic of the suspect

universal-soldier-jean-claude-van-damme-gear.jpg

He is said to have made threats in the past against virologist Marc Van Ranst, who led Belgium's public health response to coronavirus.

This stuff is why all those garbage news outlets are dangerous

This stuff is why all those garbage news outlets are dangerous

I'm not sure which direction you mean, but I do think it is a problem that the BBC would state something that sounds almost like hearsay and not show any evidence. It's a serious allegation to say someone is threatening a public official/someone who is dictating the virus response. To just throw out there that someone says he's done stuff in the past is ... rather weak.

I'm not sure which direction you mean, but I do think it is a problem that the BBC would state something that sounds almost like hearsay and not show any evidence. It's a serious allegation to say someone is threatening a public official/someone who is dictating the virus response. To just throw out there that someone says he's done stuff in the past is ... rather weak.
They placed the virologist in a safehouse.

Back