Mark Bell's Sling-Shot.

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone here used one of these? I'm thinking of getting one. Not to increase my poundage, just to offer a bit of protection to my shoulders. In much the same way as I wear a lifting belt when I squat and deadlift.

I found no benefit to my shoulders from this. At the end of the day youre still loading them heavily if you increase the weight to use the slingshot. The power off the chest given to you from the elasticity of the slingshot is negated by the heavier loads you use.

If you have the money to buy one then great but if money is any object I'd stick to close grip bench press and other movements that are pain free

I second that I found no health benefits from this and basically use it as a reverse band bench press.

I second that I found no health benefits from this and basically use it as a reverse band bench press.
The reverse band bench press has more ability to change the movement to your liking as well. More bands less bands, closer grips and wider grips on the bar. I found the slingshot doesnt give as much leniency when trying to use a close grip or a wide grip. It feels far less natural.

I have one and it really doesn't make my shoulders (which are shit) feel any better. I do like using it as an accessory movement after my working sets. Usually, I'll just rep out for 3 sets whatever I used as my top working weight.

I bought the yellow one and overall I’d say I wasted $60 with how much I don’t use it

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Glad I asked before I bought it:)

Anyone here used one of these? I'm thinking of getting one. Not to increase my poundage, just to offer a bit of protection to my shoulders. In much the same way as I wear a lifting belt when I squat and deadlift.
Do you have any shoulder problems or do you want take precautions?
I personally got rid of shoulder pain by doing daily rear delt work like rear delt flys, band pull aparts, face pulls, etc.

Do you have any shoulder problems or do you want take precautions?
I personally got rid of shoulder pain by doing daily rear delt work like rear delt flys, band pull aparts, face pulls, etc.

I've had shoulder issues for about four years. They have improved - mainly by doing the same kind of rear delt work you mention - but I want to take extra precautions.

I've had shoulder issues for about four years. They have improved - mainly by doing the same kind of rear delt work you mention - but I want to take extra precautions.
Taking narrower grip and really pinching your shoulder blades together will help prevent shoulder agitation while bench pressing

Only use this thing if you are a powerlifter struggling to get the lockout on a benchpress. If your shoulders are fucked fix that. This thing is a tool for lockout issues/overloading your lockout. A fighter shouldnt need this thing to progress/save shoulders imo.

Only use this thing if you are a powerlifter struggling to get the lockout on a benchpress. If your shoulders are fucked fix that. This thing is a tool for lockout issues/overloading your lockout. A fighter shouldnt need this thing to progress/save shoulders imo.
I wonder what the point is if you can just do Anderson presses

MBS is actually more for overloading, either allowing you to handle near max weight for overload sets at the end of a workout or for loading above your raw max to allow you to handle more weight at lockout than you could otherwise (it will offer little benefit as you approach lockout so ypu effevtively complete the top portion unassisted).

Sounds like what you are after is a shoulder saver pad from EliteFTS, which reduces the ROM on bench to reduce the wear caused by shouldet rotation at the bottom of the movement

Just don’t give that guy your money. If you can’t lift it then that’s that, don’t buy into this gimmick empire.

Just don’t give that guy your money. If you can’t lift it then that’s that, don’t buy into this gimmick empire.
Im not a fan of Mark Bell myself. He the "meat head millionaire" but hardly, if ever, sponsors a cash winnings meet.

Stole the slingshot design louie simmons was already using, slapped his brand on the hip circle that already existed, and then paid a million bucks to get his shit into the IPF knowing its just to spread the brand.

I believe he was once a nice guy but jm not buying the fake smiles anymore. You want to "give back" to powerlifting? Throw some cash at the meets that pay.

Im not a fan of Mark Bell myself. He the "meat head millionaire" but hardly, if ever, sponsors a cash winnings meet.

Stole the slingshot design louie simmons was already using, slapped his brand on the hip circle that already existed, and then paid a million bucks to get his shit into the IPF knowing its just to spread the brand.

I believe he was once a nice guy but jm not buying the fake smiles anymore. You want to "give back" to powerlifting? Throw some cash at the meets that pay.
Never liked him, his gym, or his products. Don't know why his brand exploded so much in the past few years. Good Youtube promotion? All the cringey youngsters in my gym come in with gear and apparel from Youtube channels- Supertraining, Barbell Brigade, Megsquats, etc. None of the equipment is as good as SBD or Inzer but costs nearly the same.

Never liked him, his gym, or his products. Don't know why his brand exploded so much in the past few years. Good Youtube promotion? All the cringey youngsters in my gym come in with gear and apparel from Youtube channels- Supertraining, Barbell Brigade, Megsquats, etc. None of the equipment is as good as SBD or Inzer but costs nearly the same.
He caters to an audience thats for sure. Not exactly sure what the audience could be classified but definitely the 15-25 year old newb lifters are in there. The same guys who are looking to BE A POWERLIFTER. I get it in a way. Kind of like a tshirt from your favorite band.

But after a certain amount of time in the sport and competing at enough meets you become jaded and realize that very few of these "famous" powerlifters do anything to help lifters aside from selling a product.

I get folks gotta make some money but Ed Coan refs meets and shakes hands with everyone who wants to meet him. Mark Bell doesnt ref meets, and only shows up to the ones at his own gym. Cmon man really? "The Peoples' Coach?"

End rant just not a fan lmao

Mark Bell was putting out pretty good content in the Silent Mike era and prior. He does get on my nerves now though. To his credit though, it's not like he's making it a secret that he's all about business and money now.

Back