News Mark O. Madsen retires from MMA

I don't wanna come across as an asshole, but the guy called himself The Olympian but the best he ever won was bronze.
that always made me think he was a bit of a dick

shame-gameofthrones.gif

This was a highly skilled martial artist who attempted MMA at a late age, and was derailed by a guy who missed weight for the third time, and was flagged by USADA twice.

Would have been very interesting if he had started earlier, but at his age and with the mileage on his body, it makes sense. Retire while you can still enjoy your life.

Good luck to him with his future endeavors

Respect to him for rising to the challenge

It seems a lot of fights he was getting his ass kicked and won with the skin of his teeth

Maybe I'd sound like a PoS if I was glad to see him lose. Dude was so old for his weight division

Pretty sure he had cancer or something?

Olympic athletes retire long before 39.

Because if youre in the Olympics then youre in an event with a hyper individualized focus on peak athleticism; instead of professional MMA where the ingredients to success are much more diversified, lending to more longevity. He didnt need to retire imo. He quit prematurely which is whats so befuddling for someone who has Olympic tier experience, drive, discipline, dedication and fortitude.

I don't wanna come across as an asshole, but the guy called himself The Olympian but the best he ever won was bronze.
that always made me think he was a bit of a dick
If he had been in a super weak division and barely made the Olympics once and yet went around calling himself Olympian 24/7 then yeah in that scenario you could maybe say it's annoying but that's not what happened.

He medaled in the world championship 5 times, qualified for the Olympics 3 times, and won the silver medal. That's extremely high level

Last edited:
he sucked. just a strong guy w low fight iq. in his last fight he clearly took a dive

Last edited:
Because if youre in the Olympics then youre in an event with a hyper individualized focus on peak athleticism; instead of professional MMA where the ingredients to success are much more diversified, lending to more longevity. He didnt need to retire imo. He quit prematurely which is whats so befuddling for someone who has Olympic tier experience, drive, discipline, dedication and fortitude.

Tell me you watched Mark Madsen vs Jared Gordon.

{<huh}

There's no "longevity" at 39. Typical white belt nonsense.

He did OK in the UFC. Nothing to be Madsen about. Thanks Mark!

Respect to him for trying. Always thought it was crazy how Danish media just ate up his stories about aiming to become the first Danish UFC champion without asking anything just remotely resembling a critical question.

But I guess if MMA journalism in the US consists of Ariel, some guy writing about celebrity boxing and Brendan Schaub then Danish MMA journalism is probably carried out by someone who's more concerned with handball and keeping his day job in the public sector.

Back