News Max Holloway debuts as #9 Ranked Lightweight

Yeah it's pretty silly. I think some of the rankings panel people might be questioning if Max even has a future in the division, so they probably don't want him clogging up a top 5 spot if he has no intention of fighting in the division again any time soon.

I'd put him either at #1 or #2 though personally.

Yeah I bet some guys just didn't rank him and others did. That would aggregate things.

Silly though. He's clearly better than 9th.

His win over Gaethje is a better win than most of the guys on that list have.

Max also has a W over Charles Oliveira. It was a long time ago, at 145 and a freak injury, but the fact remains Max has wins over 3 and 4 on that list.

2 top 5 wins is miles ahead of most of that list.

Also, fuck John Morgan and his stupid permanent teachers pet bullshit softball questions.

I don’t believe in Max as a LW - I think he’s too small and lanky to find success consistently. Then again, I thought Gaethje would easily beat him, though I also think Gaethje is old and overrated. Seeing as how Max beat #2, it would make sense to rank him higher than #9.

Well that's insultingly low. The fuck is that? You can't book someone to fight a rank if they don't end up near the rank with a win

John Morgan is the fat dude who always asks Dana the first question at the press conference. He’s a shill and his rankings are meaningless.
... what?

Andrade choked out Lemos r1 and was ranked lower in sw. For one example.

Dumont won a unanimous decision 49-46 over Ladd and didn't move above her in the rankings.
No, Andrade went to #5 and Lemos was #11.

And in the case of Dumont-Ladd, Ladd was ranked at BW and Dumont was at featherweight, as was their fight. Matter of fact, Dumont eventually getting ranked at all in a division she wasn't fighting in is still a head scratcher to me. Her recent fight against GDR is the first time she even made 135, and she was ranked coming in

If he wants to be the real bmf should would set his sights on Makhachev.

ISLAM MAKHACHEV

CHAMPION​

MAKHACHEV_ISLAM_BELT_10-21.png

1Arman TsarukyanRank increased by 3
2Charles OliveiraRank decreased by 1
3Justin GaethjeRank decreased by 1
4Dustin PoirierRank decreased by 1
5Mateusz Gamrot
6Beneil DariushRank increased by 1
7Michael ChandlerRank decreased by 1
8Rafael Fiziev
9Max HollowayNR
10Renato MoicanoRank increased by 3
11Dan HookerRank decreased by 2
12Jalin TurnerRank decreased by 2
13Benoît Saint DenisRank decreased by 2
14Rafael Dos AnjosRank decreased by 2
15Bobby GreenRank decreased by 1

Those are a mess. Not sure how you watch Max dominate Justin for all 5 rounds and face plant him and put him 6 ranks below.

IMO:

1. Arman
2. Charles
3. Max
4. Justin
5. Poirier

I think that's appropriate because it's more conservative and realistic. For example, in your opinion Max should be #3 because he beat #4 Gaethje..... But he lost to #5 Poirier. So what do you do about that? I don't think beating someone in the rankings like that automatically puts you above them when the sample size is so small. We need more points of data to determine his true rank because right now he's .500 at lightweight which doesn't exactly warrant a #3 spot.

I think that's appropriate because it's more conservative and realistic. For example, in your opinion Max should be #3 because he beat #4 Gaethje..... But he lost to #5 Poirier. So what do you do about that? I don't think beating someone in the rankings like that automatically puts you above them when the sample size is so small. We need more points of data to determine his true rank because right now he's .500 at lightweight which doesn't exactly warrant a #3 spot.
Max lost to Dustin over 5 years ago. It's utterly irrelevant to the current rankings. Dustin meanwhile lost to Justin 8 months ago and Max just dominated Justin, both of which are relevant.

Justin was #2 before this fight, not #4. Charles was #1 and lost to Arman so they're #1-2, and Justin lost to Max so Max goes to #3, Justin to #4, and Poirier to #5. It's a pretty easy ranking to figure out.

Cejudo fought Sterling and lost and debuted at like #3. No idea what the problem with slotting Max in for actually winning.

Honestly I don't know that there is a ranking for Holloway that would please everyone. They're kinda just winging it at this point though lol

Honestly I don't know that there is a ranking for Holloway that would please everyone. They're kinda just winging it at this point though lol
They're doing it to avoid Dustin falling all the way to #5 so that's not the number that appears on the UFC 302 poster for his shitty title shot.

Number 9 after that performance?? I guess it's better than number 10 but just shows the flaws of having a ranking system.

They're doing it to avoid Dustin falling all the way to #5 so that's not the number that appears on the UFC 302 poster for his shitty title shot.
Wouldn't surprise me -- Dustin is impossible to hate, but he doesn't deserve that fucking title shot.

Number 9 after that performance?? I guess it's better than number 10 but just shows the flaws of having a ranking system.
Even if you wanted to say it's only 1 fight and he lost to Dustin 5 years ago, I mean at least put him at #5 over Gamrot.

Still would be weird, but not sure how #9 makes remotely any sense when he's clearly top 5 after that.

It's actually technically number 10 if they'd use normal ranking instead of inflating the numbers, since the UFC doesn't "rank" the champ and then call the number 2 ranked guy the "number 1 contender".

Back