International Melbourne city council bans men from street sweeper job in name of diversity

Is no one going to make a women forced to work cleaning jobs joke?

Seems sexist that that's considered a women's job.

Cannot wait for men banned from working at subway in the name of diversity.

….

Last edited:
Well, chicks are better at sweepin than men so .....

Take that, sexist men!

Hmm. That's an interesting application of the special measures exemptions.
At least here in SA it's usually for things like concession fares for seniors or female counsellors for women's shelters.
Don't think we have a direct equivalent.

How surprising, government officials being paid to interfere in shit that doesn't need it

You guys should see their performance reviews...

get them sheilas on the bins next, plumbing maybe n'all...atrocious lack of diversity in the field of sifting through human shit

MV5BNzQzMTk5NDc5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTkwNjY5OA@@._V1_.jpg

I'm gonna guess no. I'm also gonna guess that this ridiculousness was brought on by some study that found out that street sweepers were made of an extreme disproportionate amount of men, and they think that by banning them from the job, it will magically make more women apply for it.

CBC ran a 15 minute piece a few months back about how men make more than double what women in the "trades" do. When it's broken down, something like 85% of women in trade school are registered in programs like hairdressing, baking, decorator, which engage industries that don't generate massive amounts of money and of course wages are relative to that. They then use those stats as a comparison to men in the typical trades that are moving large amounts of money.

So blatant, so embarrassing. So CBC.

If there are no female applicants for the foreseeable future and the males all retire/quit does that job just disappear?

What would Nelly think? He made a song about that profession if I'm not mistaken.

This is happening a lot in my industry especially with the larger companies like BHP. 1 of the 1st things they ask on your application is your sex and cultural back ground.

For instance I applied for a job in a water treatment that I built, Commissioned and performance tested from start to finish only to be knocked back multiple times, in place of a dental nurse a cleaner and a school drop out with no industry experience.

Seems a bad idea to cut men off from a whole field of entry-level, low-skill jobs. That already tends to be an area where men struggle compared to women, who often have an upper hand in becoming secretaries, au pairs, strippers, and teachers.
At least Australia's not big on helping refugees. Imagine Melbourne imported a bunch of low-skilled workers, only to tell them they couldn't work.

Back