Economy Men only make up 40% of college students. Where is the outcry?

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
What's going on with our young men? It seems like men are falling behind and all you can hear is cheers. Is this not a problem for the left? I think it is. Look I know college is not the only metric for success but these are staggering numbers. What can be done to reverse this?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/colleg...-EBA4OQanCW-1aLor9e_mq7-PNa699o05vgoKwO8vM5Is

Men are abandoning higher education in such numbers that they now trail female college students by record levels.

At the close of the 2020-21 academic year, women made up 59.5% of college students, an all-time high, and men 40.5%, according to enrollment data from the National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit research group. U.S. colleges and universities had 1.5 million fewer students compared with five years ago, and men accounted for 71% of the decline.

This education gap, which holds at both two- and four-year colleges, has been slowly widening for 40 years. The divergence increases at graduation: After six years of college, 65% of women in the U.S. who started a four-year university in 2012 received diplomas by 2018 compared with 59% of men during the same period, according to the U.S. Department of Education.

In the next few years, two women will earn a college degree for every man, if the trend continues, said Douglas Shapiro, executive director of the research center at the National Student Clearinghouse.

No reversal is in sight. Women increased their lead over men in college applications for the 2021-22 school year—3,805,978 to 2,815,810—by nearly a percentage point compared with the previous academic year, according to Common Application, a nonprofit that transmits applications to more than 900 schools. Women make up 49% of the college-age population in the U.S., according to the Census Bureau.

"Men are falling behind remarkably fast," said Thomas Mortenson, a senior scholar at the Pell Institute for the Study of Opportunity in Higher Education, which aims to improve educational opportunities for low-income, first-generation and disabled college students.

The college gender gap cuts across race, geography and economic background. For the most part, white men—once the predominant group on American campuses—no longer hold a statistical edge in enrollment rates, said Mr. Mortenson, of the Pell Institute. Enrollment rates for poor and working-class white men are lower than those of young Black, Latino and Asian men from the same economic backgrounds, according to an analysis of census data by the Pell Institute for the Journal.

This trend has been going on for quite a while now. It's very important for the powers that be for young women to be whisked away from their families and the old-fashioned, traditional mother/wife role and into the University to be indoctrinated and brought into the labor force. It's a crying shame, imo. This is not to mention many males still choose to do manual labor jobs like construction or the trades. Women largely avoid those types of jobs.

Last edited:
This trend has been going on for quite a while now. It's very important for the powers that be for young women to be whisked away from their families and the old-fashioned, traditional mother/wife role into the University to be indoctrinated and brought into the labor force. It's a crying shame, imo. This is not to mention many males still choose to do manual labor jobs like construction or the trades. Women largely avoid those types of jobs.
This seems to be the motivating factor. For whatever reason women working and not having and raising families is the key

I often wonder about this. It's easy to point to liberal arts and social science degrees vs. trades as an explanation - presumably that men are choosing the trades over something in the humanities.

But I think might be too obvious an example. I wonder if the change is not a decrease in the amount of men going to college but rather simply an increase in the number of women. In decades past, women didn't go to college. They were housekeepers, secretaries and other fields that didn't require an education. That has changed. And while the trades are out there, they remain a difficult area for women to enter comfortably. So more women are going to college because it is the only real post-secondary education option and not fewer men going to college.

I'm sure there's some data out there to support that. I'd bet that male enrollment hasn't actually declined.
Fig2_EdxCohort_hires_0.png

Just a quick glance suggests that men with degrees has been holding steady for 50+ years while women keep climbing.

This trend has been going on for quite a while now. It's very important for the powers that be for young women to be whisked away from their families and the old-fashioned, traditional mother/wife role and into the University to be indoctrinated and brought into the labor force. It's a crying shame, imo. This is not to mention many males still choose to do manual labor jobs like construction or the trades. Women largely avoid those types of jobs.
<WellThere>

The college i graduated from was 65% female, and it definitely didn't suck!

The only outcry should be from college women who dont want to share a dick.

You should check out blacks it's like 80%. IMO it's men are emasculated in west. Just look at any sitcom daddy is a bumbling idiot this has profound effects on male psychology.

That's if you have a daddy and not raised by a women. Then you have little direction on what it takes to be a successful male. Explaining the massive black gender gap in college.

Last edited:
What's going on with our young men? It seems like men are falling behind and all you can hear is cheers. Is this not a problem for the left? I think it is. Look I know college is not the only metric for success but these are staggering numbers. What can be done to reverse this?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/colleg...-EBA4OQanCW-1aLor9e_mq7-PNa699o05vgoKwO8vM5Is

Men are abandoning higher education in such numbers that they now trail female college students by record levels.

At the close of the 2020-21 academic year, women made up 59.5% of college students, an all-time high, and men 40.5%, according to enrollment data from the National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit research group. U.S. colleges and universities had 1.5 million fewer students compared with five years ago, and men accounted for 71% of the decline.

This education gap, which holds at both two- and four-year colleges, has been slowly widening for 40 years. The divergence increases at graduation: After six years of college, 65% of women in the U.S. who started a four-year university in 2012 received diplomas by 2018 compared with 59% of men during the same period, according to the U.S. Department of Education.

In the next few years, two women will earn a college degree for every man, if the trend continues, said Douglas Shapiro, executive director of the research center at the National Student Clearinghouse.

No reversal is in sight. Women increased their lead over men in college applications for the 2021-22 school year—3,805,978 to 2,815,810—by nearly a percentage point compared with the previous academic year, according to Common Application, a nonprofit that transmits applications to more than 900 schools. Women make up 49% of the college-age population in the U.S., according to the Census Bureau.

"Men are falling behind remarkably fast," said Thomas Mortenson, a senior scholar at the Pell Institute for the Study of Opportunity in Higher Education, which aims to improve educational opportunities for low-income, first-generation and disabled college students.

The college gender gap cuts across race, geography and economic background. For the most part, white men—once the predominant group on American campuses—no longer hold a statistical edge in enrollment rates, said Mr. Mortenson, of the Pell Institute. Enrollment rates for poor and working-class white men are lower than those of young Black, Latino and Asian men from the same economic backgrounds, according to an analysis of census data by the Pell Institute for the Journal.

Maybe if the GOP didn’t vilify higher learning there would be more men in college. Stop making this a left issue. This falls squarely on Conservatives.

The GOP pushes blue collar manufacturing jobs because they spend a lot of time making college out to be Marxist indoctrination camps. They fear an educated voting base.

Lol @ brake it down..... In a thread about men lacking in education no less.

If that's all you can get out of my post is the auto correct mistake then you might want to think about your education.

If that's all you can get out of my post is the auto correct mistake then you might want to think about your education.
Lol @ blaming autocorect for your inability to say "break it down"..... Whoops I typed that without an autocorect issue from my phone.

Maybe if the GOP didn’t vilify higher learning there would be more men in college. Stop making this a left issue. This falls squarely on Conservatives.

The GOP pushes blue collar manufacturing jobs because they spend a lot of time making college out to be Marxist indoctrination camps. They fear an educated voting base.

And the left pushes unless degrees like there is an actual need or job out there. People see all the expenses with no job prospect and decided there are better ways to go.

Back