Metallica is Underrated - Greatest Metal Band of All Time

... depends on the show. If by show, you mean a bunch of guys playing their instruments well, that's the kind of show that I like. That's the kind Metallica put on when they first started because they hated bands that focused on "show" production.

It's a fucking metal band, not n'sync.
Disagree completely. Metallicas 2017 stadium tour was the best I have seen.. was the 10th Metallica show I had seen at that point but IMO was best show.

Seen Megadeth live twice. Mustaines vocals are so horrible live it brings the performance down even with superior Instrament play. Live the bands arent close IMO AS Metallica is far an away better. The albums tho So far so good, Youthanasia, Rust in peace were really good even their newest one didnt suck. Those 3 are indeed up there with Metallica's first 5 albums.

when you listen to the older Metallica albums, you can clearly discern Mustaine's influence.

they have great songs no doubt, but as I've always said, Hammet always ruins it for me with his terrible solos.

Metallica was my favorite band in the 7th grade, I remember feeling so left out when they were performing at Woodstock.

then I discovered Megadeth, & Metallica was forgotten like a fart in the wind.

I used to have this Greek coworker who was very aggressive with his being a "metal expert", & he always treated me like some young buck wannabe. then I told him Megadeth was far more superior of a band when it came to consistency, composition, lyrics, skill etc. it was as if I told him Eminem was the greatest metal vocalist in the world - he was livid from my saying as much.

the next day, he came up to me, so cordial, friendly & with such warmth while reaching for a handshake & said "you're right". we were were buds from that moment on haha

I remember how pissed I was when I bought the Black Album. So then I just listened to Rust in Peace for 20 years straight.

Those 2 albums were released less than a year apart. It was easy to drop Metallica at that point.

Yeah Mustaine sings like shit live these days. Shrug... I don't go to the shows anyways. His albums are good and I will always respect the hell out of him for getting back up after being canned by Metallica.

Only in my elder years have I realized how crappy Hammet's guitar solos are. It's kind of embarrassing that it took me this long.

metal sucks. its specifically for poor people exclusively

rolling stone article- 2015
Relax, Mom and Dad. The kids aren’t really into Satan.

A new study claims that kids who listened to heavy-metal music in the 1980s turned into “middle-class, gainfully employed, relatively well-educated” adults. That is, despite taking in hour after hour of people screaming about sex, drugs, suicide and the devil himself, most of heavy metal’s fans turned out OK. All those warning labels on albums brought to you by Tipper Gore were a giant waste of time and money.

I remember how pissed I was when I bought the Black Album. So then I just listened to Rust in Peace for 20 years straight.

Those 2 albums were released less than a year apart. It was easy to drop Metallica at that point.

Yeah Mustaine sings like shit live these days. Shrug... I don't go to the shows anyways. His albums are good and I will always respect the hell out of him for getting back up after being canned by Metallica.

Only in my elder years have I realized how crappy Hammet's guitar solos are. It's kind of embarrassing that it took me this long.

I don't think I've ever seen Dave look so badass

I like a lot of Metallica's stuff, especially the stuff after they "sold out" and started making more melodic songs.

I know it was cool to talk shit on Metallica for awhile, especially after the Napster stuff, but I think calling them underrated is a stretch. They're always counted among the best metal bands and often along the best rock bands in general.

Edit for evidence: Rolling Stone listed Master of Puppets as the second best metal album of all time and in a reader poll Metallica was #1 for best metal band of all time. It's hard to be underrated with accolades like that.

Last edited:

Rust in peace was by far the better Metal album. Black Album the better rock album....... Black Album was never a metal record it was the Album they went mainstream radio/MTV.

As for Hammett yeah he is vastly overrated.....

Dave can partially blame his voice in the last few years to cancer, but last I heard he was in remission or cancer free.

Yes, I bought the Black Album on release.

When they began, Metallica was to the pop scene what punk was to disco: a revolution against it.

As such, they eschewed uniforms and glitzy shows. Just metal.

Then, the Black Album, and suddenly they had uniforms: haircuts, piercings, emo, all at once, like a business decision.

The music was well produced...

That's it. I felt like vomiting.
<41>

Here is myself with James Hetfield back in 2009
12923218_10153795228737639_1782304277714527836_n.jpg

They are my favorite band ever and the reason Heavy Metal is my favorite genre. I can understand a lot of people not liking the material they produced post black album and even to some post AJFA but for me there is some amazing material they recorded since then. In particular both Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn off of 1996's Load are amazing pieces of music.

As per the band today James and Rob are easily the best out of all four of them. Even though James' voice ain't what it used to be his guitar playing is still on point and Rob well he's always been a monster on the bass. Kirk has his moments but my issue with him is his over use of the wah pedal and especially on solos that weren't recorded with the wah at all. I have a feeling he uses it a lot to mask either not remembering how to play a songs solo correctly or as a way to mask mistakes he makes while playing them. As per Lars he will freely admit that he doesn't practice much in his free time and also has said he never actually learned the proper techniques during the 80's and relied heavily his youth to get him through gigs and recording which is why his playing style is a lot more simpler than that of his contemporaries. He is definitely the weakest link in the band live. However he is pretty damn good at songwriting I'll grant him that.

I've seen the band countless times live and they have yet to disappoint.

Kirk Hammett is the nicest musician I've ever met. We both spent almost 30 minutes talking about our mutual love of the horror genre and I will always cherish that.

And lastly I don't bother arguing with anyone anymore who talks shit about the band granted there is some legitimate criticisms that could be levied at them. It's just a lot of people who hate on them do so because it is the fashionable thing to do. Alright I'll shut up now about them

metal sucks. its specifically for poor people exclusively
giphy.gif

They are my favorite band ever and the reason Heavy Metal is my favorite genre. I can understand a lot of people not liking the material they produced post black album and even to some post AJFA but for me there is some amazing material they recorded since then. In particular both Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn off of 1996's Load are amazing pieces of music.

As per the band today James and Rob are easily the best out of all four of them. Even though James' voice ain't what it used to be his guitar playing is still on point and Rob well he's always been a monster on the bass. Kirk has his moments but my issue with him is his over use of the wah pedal and especially on solos that weren't recorded with the wah at all. I have a feeling he uses it a lot to mask either not remembering how to play a songs solo correctly or as a way to mask mistakes he makes while playing them. As per Lars he will freely admit that he doesn't practice much in his free time and also has said he never actually learned the proper techniques during the 80's and relied heavily his youth to get him through gigs and recording which is why his playing style is a lot more simpler than that of his contemporaries. He is definitely the weakest link in the band live. However he is pretty damn good at songwriting I'll grant him that.

Kirk Hammett is the nicest musician I've ever met. We both spent almost 30 minutes talking about our mutual love of the horror genre and I will always cherish that.

And lastly I don't bother arguing with anyone anymore who talks shit about the band granted there is some legitimate criticisms that could be levied at them. It's just a lot of people who hate on them do so because it is the fashionable thing to do. Alright I'll shut up now about them

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Yeah I have seen them a lot also. They are my favorite live act (tho GnR and ACDC are right there as well).

As for talent. Your correct Hetfield n Rob are by far best ..... Kirk was much better than he is now n Lars has no business on drums outside of in his own garage by himself.

What separates Metallica is the song writing. You got bands everywhere that got great technical skills n talent but no writing. James n Lars can really write.

I never really think of Metallica despite the name as really being Metal ... rather just really hard rock but I guess they are technically.

Load was much better than given credit for. I can agree. Also think their last 2 albums wernt bad either.

Metallicas problem is when ur first 5 albums were that good it's tough to measure up even to themselves.

I will continue to go to the shows in my area.

Favorite show was in early 90s where they had no opening act and just played shit from their binge an purge box set till they came out. Saw that show in Vegas.

For song writing yes. Lars and Hammett are overrated AF.

I don't know. Maybe in earlier years Hammett was overrated. But I think at this point, in the world of guitar, he's pretty well recognized as a one-trick pony: if you've heard one Hammett solo you've heard 'em all.

I think that's why Metallica is a good starting point for kids who are trying to learn to play lead. Hammett's solos are so formulaic and narrow in overall scope that once you get some momentum as a player, you can go from one Hammett solo to the next.

When they began, Metallica was to the pop scene what punk was to disco: a revolution against it.

Pretty sure from interviews that Dave was embracing a confluence of Metal and Punk. Not rebelling against some particular trend or sound. Or do you mean the gravity of the audience?

For song writing yes. Lars and Hammett are overrated AF.

Most people think Kirk sucks, so I’d say he’s actually underrated.

On topic.. they’re up there with Sabbath as one of the most commercially palatable metal bands.. but the ‘Black’ album was their last masterpiece imo. Everything since then has been ok to mediocre.

Metallica is incredibly overrated and pretty shit

Back