Mexican Gloves - Review

Kendodsworth

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
A while back while I was on death door due to covid I said I was going to make a thread with a little review of some of the Mexican branded gloves I have in my collection. Unfortunately I've been so busy I've not been able to up until today.

This review wont be on how the gloves feel after usage more so how they look and feel out the box, the quality of the craftsmanship, pros & cons and my thoughts in general.

Big thank you to @Lotnik & @Edgar Martinez who helped me get hold of the classics and the casanovas!!!

I will give each glove there own little "comment" and try do 1 or 2 a day when i can. Here is a comparison of the gloves side by side.

All gloves are 16oz and made in Mexico - genuine

20210925_160853.jpg
20210925_160910.jpg

Last edited:
Campeon
20210925_171035.jpg

I will start with the only velcro Mexican branded gloves out of my collection. These are also the only gloves in my collection which DO NOT have welted seams. I purchased these from Pro-Am in the UK and where my first pair of mexican gloves.

First impression, honestly when I first received them I was fairly disappointed about the quality (apart from that lovely leather smell). The stitching wasn't great with areas that have come undone mainly at the seams, black smudges on the yellow leather and on the tag. What I also found odd was the foam padding on the wrist, it feels like its that rough polyethylene foam you get in packaging, not something I've seen in the other gloves.
OIP.jpg

In regards to the fit and feel the Campeons have fairly large pockets so if you have big hands these will fit amazingly, for me the thumb placement is a little off, maybe more so on the left gloves, there is always some discomfort when putting the gloves on and can be a nightmare when you have your wraps on. The foam on the thumb ends just short of the tip and the inner lining is fairly rough on your knuckles but its to be expected with Mexican gloves. I'm not going to rip the wrist support as it doesn't seem fair to compare it to 4 other pairs which are lace-up and honestly if your going to get some Mexican gloves always go lace up :)...my bad. (the velcro is decent ha).

The knuckle area on these as you can see above is a little more rounded when you compare them to the other gloves, they don't have that straightness to them and its more visible next to the Gil gloves. What you will also notice is the cCmpeons don't have that typical boxey Mexican look like the classics do but they are very much similar in size minus the snug fit and tight hand compartment.

All in all my personal opinion Campeons quality isn't great and they are probably the most uncomfortable glove out of all of them BUT they feel the most authentic and what id expect from a Mexican glove. They have that robust feel and look to them, you know they will last forever - a workhorse of a glove ideal for training for all there flaws I really like them.
20210925_170515.jpg 20210925_170632.jpg 20210925_170714.jpg 20210925_170743.jpg 20210925_170826.jpg 20210925_170501.jpg

Casanova (orange)
20210925_194745.jpg

Next up is these amazing gloves made famous by the Rocky films and @Badoldman in the Sherdog forums ;) If you want a detailed and in-depth review of these gloves I advise you to read some of @Badoldman's posts. He has technically done this review for me, also a massive thank you to @Lotnik who helped me get a pair of these amazing glove direct from Casanova.

Originally sold in the US and globally as Casanovas but due to some crazy ownership/legal reasons are now sold under the name Necalli and only the original "Casanova" are sold in Mexico...something along them lines (long story which I'm sure someone would elaborate it requested).

First impression was the total opposite to the Campeons, you wouldn't think these are hand made. Its really hard to chose which gloves have the best build quality out of the Casanovas and the Classics. The leather on the Casanovas is of a high quality and nice and tight the stitching is next to perfect. I genuinely was surprised with the care and craftsmanship put into these glove. There was a few minor scuffs near the seams (welted) on the palm but when I say minor its literally next to nothing, you'll probably get worse after you've thrown them in your gym bag the first time you take them to the gym.

Onto the fit and feel, this time very similar to the Campeons in regards to the pockets, I've heard a few guys who have large hands using more wrapping than usually to get a nice fitting when wearing Casanovas so if you have small hands these may not be for you but its all about preference, personally I like a snug fitting glove. The lining of these nice and tight no lose bits or wrinkles although again a little rough on the knuckles but due to the amount of wraps you'll be using....not a problem. Thumb placement is good if your into the Mexican style glove, no issues there. The padding is nice and dense as expected with latex foam, one thing I have noticed though these feel A LOT heavier than all the other gloves which are all also 16oz, I will need to weigh them to confirm (Mexican gloves always weigh a tad more than advertised but these seem to push it a little further). The wrist support on the Casanovas I really like but with most lace up gloves your fairly safe so seems a bit pointless to mention :rolleyes:

The profile has that typical square/boxey look to it, lots of angle and straight lines and as you can see it has the biggest profile out of all five pairs of gloves, with an extremely large finger area/compartment which does help in regards to grip and you can make a pretty solid fist just feels a bit to spacious if you don't have your hands wrapped enough. So there goes it, if sleek small profiled gloves are more your thing these gloves may not be for you...other than that personally I really think these gloves are fantastic just a little too roomy for me in the hand compartment.
20210925_194758.jpg 20210925_194808.jpg 20210925_194753.jpg

Last edited:
New Sporting
(This is going to be my honest opinion from what I experienced, others may not have had the same. probably one of my lengthier reviews)
20210926_101057.jpg

I purchased these gloves directly from New sporting just before @Edgar Martinez started - "The Boxing Collector" website and I advise anybody who wants a pair after reading this review to get a pair via @Edgar Martinez. From my knowledge they are not doing custom orders anymore for individual sales and are focusing more on bulk/wholesale sales. There was a post a while back on the NS Instagram saying any custom orders placed wont be ready until after around a 6 months wait due to a huge order (could of changed).

Bit of a recap for those who have never heard of New Sporting, they first started producing gloves a few years back and where brilliant with some amazing reviews and feedback but once the name grew the quality and customer service rapidly started to decline many people started to avoid them and many issues arose. If you give them a search on Sherdog and YouTube you'll see the numerous negative threads and videos plus some controversies. Move forward to 2020/2021 and New Sporting reinvented themselves and wanted to prove they have done so and again there positive reviews and experiences started to come flooding in and this is where I thought I'd take a punt and purchase a pair - like stated above other peoples experience may not be the same.

So the review. These gloves/brand bring me so much confusion, anger and disappointment then anything I've ever owned <Lmaoo>
Initially after contacting NS the customer services was top notch, speedy replies and even the manufacturing of the gloves was fast. In my hands within a week, wow! Was not expecting that. Pictures and video updates of the process and completed gloves - they really had turned over a new leaf...so I thought.

First impressions, these gloves are amazing. The smell of leather was strong, they look fantastic and craftmanship is amazing the stitching is neat and the threads thick. the leather is also thick, I'm no tanner but it looks like really high quality leather and the welted seams are done really well but....there is a cut right down the middle of the leather on the punch surface on the right glove, not good. Oh wait there is another on the left glove near the fingers. why didn't I pick this up on the pictures and videos they sent. I look back at the pictures to notice they didn't even show me the back of the right glove - Mexican gloves various brands | Page 17 | Sherdog Forums | UFC, MMA & Boxing Discussion see my post to better understand. I contacted them and they did offer some decent discount but I'm still waiting for a reply ha there was some speculation about the use of leather off cuts when making the gloves but who knows how true that is, so there is the disappointment and anger.

Now the fit and feel, they feel amazing on! Not too tight, not too loose like the Campeons/Casanovas, the NS really sit nice on the hands considering the profile is fairly large similar in size to the Casanovas, its exactly what I want in a glove. The thumb doesn't feel too bad and the lining for Mexican gloves is fairly soft and one thing that also differentiates them from other Mexican gloves is the padding, its feels soft and supple these are Mexican gloves that actually good to spar in, they wont feel like your hitting your partner with a brick (not that you'd care anyway) and I know I said in the Casanova post I wont mention wrist support but this is really really good on these gloves

Now you can see my frustration - An amazing glove using good high quality materials put together amazingly well but let down by poor QC, shady business and no care for the brands reputation and this absolutely kills me deep down because these could be an amazing glove/brand up there with the best. Potentially my favourite glove out of the lot if it wasn't for the defects and New Sporting in general.....im not sure how they are now but hopefully they are still improving.

20210926_101116.jpg 20210926_101145.jpg 20210926_101126.jpg 20210926_102050.jpg

Jesus. Those cuts in the leather are fairly egregious.

Funny you mention the communication, I felt there it was very easy to tell when you speaking with Daniel and when you were speaking with his wife. He was very nice and friendly, she was an asshole.

New Sporting
(This is going to be my honest opinion from what I experienced, others may not have had the same. probably one of my lengthier reviews)
View attachment 881748

I purchased these gloves directly from New sporting just before @Edgar Martinez started - "The Boxing Collector" website and I advise anybody who wants a pair after reading this review to get a pair via @Edgar Martinez. From my knowledge they are not doing custom orders anymore for individual sales and are focusing more on bulk/wholesale sales. There was a post a while back on the NS Instagram saying any custom orders placed wont be ready until after around a 6 months wait due to a huge order (could of changed).

Bit of a recap for those who have never heard of New Sporting, they first started producing gloves a few years back and where brilliant with some amazing reviews and feedback but once the name grew the quality and customer service rapidly started to decline many people started to avoid them and many issues arose. If you give them a search on Sherdog and YouTube you'll see the numerous negative threads and videos plus some controversies. Move forward to 2020/2021 and New Sporting reinvented themselves and wanted to prove they have done so and again there positive reviews and experiences started to come flooding in and this is where I thought I'd take a punt and purchase a pair - like stated above other peoples experience may not be the same.

So the review. These gloves/brand bring me so much confusion, anger and disappointment then anything I've ever owned <Lmaoo>
Initially after contacting NS the customer services was top notch, speedy replies and even the manufacturing of the gloves was fast. In my hands within a week, wow! Was not expecting that. Pictures and video updates of the process and completed gloves - they really had turned over a new leaf...so I thought.

First impressions, these gloves are amazing. The smell of leather was strong, they look fantastic and craftmanship is amazing the stitching is neat and the threads thick. the leather is also thick, I'm no tanner but it looks like really high quality leather and the welted seams are done really well but....there is a cut right down the middle of the leather on the punch surface on the right glove, not good. Oh wait there is another on the left glove near the fingers. why didn't I pick this up on the pictures and videos they sent. I look back at the pictures to notice they didn't even show me the back of the right glove - Mexican gloves various brands | Page 17 | Sherdog Forums | UFC, MMA & Boxing Discussion see my post to better understand. I contacted them and they did offer some decent discount but I'm still waiting for a reply ha there was some speculation about the use of leather off cuts when making the gloves but who knows how true that is, so there is the disappointment and anger.

Now the fit and feel, they feel amazing on! Not too tight, not too loose like the Campeons/Casanovas, the NS really sit nice on the hands considering the profile is fairly large similar in size to the Casanovas, its exactly what I want in a glove. The thumb doesn't feel too bad and the lining for Mexican gloves is fairly soft and one thing that also differentiates them from other Mexican gloves is the padding, its feels soft and supple these are Mexican gloves that actually good to spar in, they wont feel like your hitting your partner with a brick (not that you'd care anyway) and I know I said in the Casanova post I wont mention wrist support but this is really really good on these gloves

Now you can see my frustration - An amazing glove using good high quality materials put together amazingly well but let down by poor QC, shady business and no care for the brands reputation and this absolutely kills me deep down because these could be an amazing glove/brand up there with the best. Potentially my favourite glove out of the lot if it wasn't for the defects and New Sporting in general.....im not sure how they are now but hopefully they are still improving.

View attachment 881746 View attachment 881747 View attachment 881749 View attachment 881750
How do you know the cuts weren't done by customs?

Funny you mention the communication, I felt there it was very easy to tell when you speaking with Daniel and when you were speaking with his wife. He was very nice and friendly, she was an asshole.

Yeah it was disappointing to say the least.
I'm unsure who I spoke too but I have heard that to be honest off numerous people...its such a shame because they could have something special!!!

Gil
20210927_190726.jpg

4th pair of gloves I will be doing a little write up on are Gil, I purchased these direct from Gil and the guys where brilliant. I got these after my NS and as you can see I was still a bit broken so went for a similar colour! No I'm joking, Mexican gloves so why not Mexican colours.

I had seen Gil mentioned a few times on the forum and also seen them on the "Necalli"/Casanova US website, Box-up nation and a few other places all with relatively good reviews so decided these where my next coronadog lockdown purchase.

First impressions "What's that smell? these are a bit shiny/glossy" I wasn't hit with that nice strong leathery smell it was more the paint section in B&Q (Home Depot for you guys across the wrong side of the pond) lol. The gloves clearly had some lacquer coating - I'm guessing water proofing which gave it that sheen. The white leather paint/dye was still tacky to touch, Some of it transferring onto other parts of the glove specifically the thumb. The white leather does look a little dirty like an off white, it has a yellow tint to it similar to the old gloss paint or it could just be caused by the lacquer build up. Again on the white parts some areas are starting to crack or the rub off completely, I will try get some good pictures. Other than the white leather the red and green parts are perfect and although there is some cosmetic Issues (I wont call them damages) to the white section the leather used for the construction seems like really good tough quality leather. The stitching is similar to the new sporting gloves nice and thick, some areas have come loose but still not to the extent of the Campeons so I'm not too concerned and the welted seams could be a bit neater, just a little rough in places but honestly its not really a great deal.

Fit and feel, Gil really have the hand compartment on these gloves down to a tee, they are in that nice middle ground I know I said the NS fit amazingly but these are better in my opinion. The difference between Gil and the NS is the foam is softer along with the lining so it wraps around your hand like a cushion where as the Gil gloves have a rough lining and a dense latex foam so it feels solid, like you could punch through a wall. The lining is rough specially at the knuckles but I think I've said it a few times its to be expected on Mexican gloves. The foam again it runs up to the end of the finger tips and the end of the thumb, I wouldn't recommend these for sparring if I'm honest the foam is very dense although it is ideal if you do want to punch through your partner I guess. Thumb placement is fine and the gloves give you enough room if you have long skinny fingers.

The profile is fairly small and sleek and as you can see punch surface is flat, probably the flattest out of them all and due to that makes an amazing pop on the bag and pads I know I said I wouldn't mention using them on the bags but I had too, they are a great bag gloves. The only downside is its not that tight around the cuff when laced up so I found mine rub a little around the forearm. If you want something a bit rugged, snug, tight fitting glove and don't have overly large hands Gil are perfect and if feedback on the bag is what you crave go no further.

All in all Gil gloves are pretty good barring a few cosmetic issues but you know what they are handmade gloves and I can appreciate they may been made in a rush hence the wet/tacky paint. If it really starts to grind on me its nothing a bit of tape, a sharp knife, some white leather paint and YouTube cant solve. There is nothing here that will cause any issue in regards to performance so I'm happy with my purchase although I know some guys may not be so forgiving so I'd advise you to avoid going direct to Gil and go through someone like @Edgar Martinez, Box-up nation, Necalli boxing etc. to ensure you get that quality.
20210927_190532.jpg 20210927_190617.jpg 20210927_190620.jpg 20210927_190628.jpg 20210927_190712.jpg 20210927_190732.jpg 20210927_190807.jpg

Last edited:
How do you know the cuts weren't done by customs?
The pictures were sent in such a way that they rotated them round and moved left to right etc to deliberately hide the cut. It was clever though as you would have never spotted it until you got the gloves and saw the cut and question why you didn’t spot it!

The pictures were sent in such a way that they rotated them round and moved left to right etc to deliberately hide the cut. It was clever though as you would have never spotted it until you got the gloves and saw the cut and question why you didn’t spot it!

Yes essentially this, @RDL81 explains it and described it a little bit better in this post....I sound like a bit of a dick in my post up there haha sorry

Classics - Mexicombate
20210928_124848.jpg

I've saved the best until last, well best in my opinion ill try not to be too biased lol.
I purchased these through the one and only @Edgar Martinez i cant speak any more highly of Edgar, amazing communication, delivered in record time and he even gave me a little bit of history/background on the classics brand, plus he sent some amazing hand wraps with my order. i will attach a picture of these wraps, i love them (if anyone in the UK can tell me where or who sells similar please do!)

These are the Mexicombate version so differ to the "standard" version The Mexicombate come with a tapered wrist which you will see in the photos, welted seams ventilation holes and double stitching. There may be more features which I've missed but I'm sure somebody will add to the list if required. The standard classics from looking at Classics Instagram page seem to be more like the Gil gloves I reviewed minus the the things listed in the Mexicombate. Unfortunately I don't have any standard Classics to compare them too.

First impression of these gloves was really positive, I did initially think no these cant be 160z when I first saw them as they have such a small profile for a Mexican glove you can see it in the comparison photo but it doesn't do them justice as the laces are really loose. I will cover this when I come to the fit and feel. Everything about this gloves screams quality. Similar to the Casanovas its hard to tell they are hand made the craftmanship is exceptional, the leather is really high quality and really tight, stitching is nice and neat although the thread isn't as thick on the NS gloves and the paint/dye is near perfect. It sounds ridiculous but even down to the tag on the cuff is of a really high quality and it just finishes the glove off. I'm not sure if I want to use them or just hang them on the wall as an ornament (I wouldn't go that far lol).

Fit and feel, this maybe the only thing which may put a few people off especially if you have large hands the gloves is extremely snug and this is without wraps. You will need someone to help you get them on and once there on keep them on! The only way I can describe the fit is like Mandingo wearing Trojan extra small. The glove tapers quite a lot from the knuckles to the wrist so this is the reason for that tight fit as well as the dense thick padding on the cuff and inside of the wrist. The thumb placement is brilliant when you manage to squeeze it in there, it isn't uncomfortable like the Campeons and the lining is a nice brown soft lining with no wrinkles, its not as soft as NS but not as rough as the other brands. When the laces are locked up the wrist support on these is the best out the five gloves, again probably associated with that dense padding on the cuff which runs to the tips of the fingers and the whole thumb.

Profile on these gloves are very slim and do look more like a 12oz glove when they are on the hands due to that taper and small profile. They are very Boxey looking and similar to Casanovas in that respect as you can see above.

Finally thoughts for me these are brilliant and personally my favorite in the looks and quality department and I do have a preference for smaller tight fitting gloves. I don't think they are suitable for guys with large hands unless you can get intouch with classics direct and get some custom made with your hand dimensions but i'd expect you to pay a premium. unfortunately I've not managed to get these on the bag but the foam does feel a little softer than other gloves but not as soft as the NS personally I wouldn't use them for sparring but i'd favour these other the Gil, its just personal preference
20210928_124857.jpg 20210928_124907.jpg 20210928_124934.jpg 20210928_125001.jpg 20210928_125130.jpg

That's all 5 of my currently owned Mexican made & Mexican branded gloves - I've avoided the mexican "style" gloves i.e Topboxer aliens, Fairtex BGV9s, Sabas and so on. I could potentially add them to the thread in the future, I'm undecided yet.
I'm hoping to also purchase a few more further down the line and I will add them to this thread with my honest opinion and first thoughts. Once I've managed to do a bit more bag work with said gloves I may also edit the post to review the performance of the gloves too or that might just be a completely new thread on its own.

I know there are a few more Mexican branded gloves out there which I've missed so if you feel like adding to this thread go for it - Boxeo, TM, Lopez, Zepol, Cleto Reyes, NBNL, Morales, Seyer, JC Pacheco. Love to hear your thoughts.

Great review(s), thanks for taking the time to put them together. You may just have awakened an interest in Gil in me.

Casanova (orange)
View attachment 881532

Next up is these amazing gloves made famous by the Rocky films and @Badoldman in the Sherdog forums ;) If you want a detailed and in-depth review of these gloves I advise you to read some of @Badoldman's posts. He has technically done this review for me, also a massive thank you to @Lotnik who helped me get a pair of these amazing glove direct from Casanova.

Originally sold in the US and globally as Casanovas but due to some crazy ownership/legal reasons are now sold under the name Necalli and only the original "Casanova" are sold in Mexico...something along them lines (long story which I'm sure someone would elaborate it requested).

First impression was the total opposite to the Campeons, you wouldn't think these are hand made. Its really hard to chose which gloves have the best build quality out of the Casanovas and the Classics. The leather on the Casanovas is of a high quality and nice and tight the stitching is next to perfect. I genuinely was surprised with the care and craftsmanship put into these glove. There was a few minor scuffs near the seams (welted) on the palm but when I say minor its literally next to nothing, you'll probably get worse after you've thrown them in your gym bag the first time you take them to the gym.

Onto the fit and feel, this time very similar to the Campeons in regards to the pockets, I've heard a few guys who have large hands using more wrapping than usually to get a nice fitting when wearing Casanovas so if you have small hands these may not be for you but its all about preference, personally I like a snug fitting glove. The lining of these nice and tight no lose bits or wrinkles although again a little rough on the knuckles but due to the amount of wraps you'll be using....not a problem. Thumb placement is good if your into the Mexican style glove, no issues there. The padding is nice and dense as expected with latex foam, one thing I have noticed though these feel A LOT heavier than all the other gloves which are all also 16oz, I will need to weigh them to confirm (Mexican gloves always weigh a tad more than advertised but these seem to push it a little further). The wrist support on the Casanovas I really like but with most lace up gloves your fairly safe so seems a bit pointless to mention :rolleyes:

The profile has that typical square/boxey look to it, lots of angle and straight lines and as you can see it has the biggest profile out of all five pairs of gloves, with an extremely large finger area/compartment which does help in regards to grip and you can make a pretty solid fist just feels a bit to spacious if you don't have your hands wrapped enough. So there goes it, if sleek small profiled gloves are more your thing these gloves may not be for you...other than that personally I really think these gloves are fantastic just a little too roomy for me in the hand compartment.
View attachment 881533 View attachment 881534 View attachment 881535

Hey @Kendodsworth , great you doing these reviews, thanks for taking the time on this!

About the Casanova's I've had this similar impression on the knuckle pocket being too wide, which is the reason I stopped using this brand gloves for several years. However, 1-2 months ago I gave these gloves another chance and got a new pair of 14 oz Laces and these came with a super compact snug fit hand pocket. Actually one of the snuggest 14 oz gloves I've had. It was even after first 2 sessions, that the glove got a bit more loosen up to fit my hands comfortably.

Curious of this, I then asked Casanova workshop about this, and they told me that they had modified the hand pocket a bit smaller due to previous feedbacks they've been receiving. I haven't been able to validate this with other sizes or different closure gloves, but on my 14 oz Laces this has come much better reduced.

This is actually one of the main causes of New Sporting workshop terrible Customer service... Daniel owner is mainly involved in production and manufacturing of equipment, he kinds of stay away from the Customer contact, so he basically is all-hands running the workshop.

Then he let his partner (Yuselyn) handle all the Customer contact, service and payments... the truth is, she's just not good at it, but she may be damaging more their brand than what she adds. It's very often dealing with her, that you'll end up upset through your experience. Which that just ruins your whole gloves experience and also its brand reputation.

Myself, who has been dealing with them for a while and for many large orders now, I've also kind of learned how to deal with her. But still that way, it is almost on every of my orders that some gloves comes with issues, damages, mistakes and her way of handling is always trying to keep it shady and passing the ball to you.

My suggestion if you're ordering directly through her, make sure you are as clearly as possible in all your requests, and make sure you receive as much proof of evidence as possible before your gloves being shipped, and also agree to a payment option where you can challenge a Refund in case you feel yourself in the need of.

Classics - Mexicombate
View attachment 882079

I've saved the best until last, well best in my opinion ill try not to be too biased lol.
I purchased these through the one and only @Edgar Martinez i cant speak any more highly of Edgar, amazing communication, delivered in record time and he even gave me a little bit of history/background on the classics brand, plus he sent some amazing hand wraps with my order. i will attach a picture of these wraps, i love them (if anyone in the UK can tell me where or who sells similar please do!)

These are the Mexicombate version so differ to the "standard" version The Mexicombate come with a tapered wrist which you will see in the photos, welted seams ventilation holes and double stitching. There may be more features which I've missed but I'm sure somebody will add to the list if required. The standard classics from looking at Classics Instagram page seem to be more like the Gil gloves I reviewed minus the the things listed in the Mexicombate. Unfortunately I don't have any standard Classics to compare them too.

First impression of these gloves was really positive, I did initially think no these cant be 160z when I first saw them as they have such a small profile for a Mexican glove you can see it in the comparison photo but it doesn't do them justice as the laces are really loose. I will cover this when I come to the fit and feel. Everything about this gloves screams quality. Similar to the Casanovas its hard to tell they are hand made the craftmanship is exceptional, the leather is really high quality and really tight, stitching is nice and neat although the thread isn't as thick on the NS gloves and the paint/dye is near perfect. It sounds ridiculous but even down to the tag on the cuff is of a really high quality and it just finishes the glove off. I'm not sure if I want to use them or just hang them on the wall as an ornament (I wouldn't go that far lol).

Fit and feel, this maybe the only thing which may put a few people off especially if you have large hands the gloves is extremely snug and this is without wraps. You will need someone to help you get them on and once there on keep them on! The only way I can describe the fit is like Mandingo wearing Trojan extra small. The glove tapers quite a lot from the knuckles to the wrist so this is the reason for that tight fit as well as the dense thick padding on the cuff and inside of the wrist. The thumb placement is brilliant when you manage to squeeze it in there, it isn't uncomfortable like the Campeons and the lining is a nice brown soft lining with no wrinkles, its not as soft as NS but not as rough as the other brands. When the laces are locked up the wrist support on these is the best out the five gloves, again probably associated with that dense padding on the cuff which runs to the tips of the fingers and the whole thumb.

Profile on these gloves are very slim and do look more like a 12oz glove when they are on the hands due to that taper and small profile. They are very Boxey looking and similar to Casanovas in that respect as you can see above.

Finally thoughts for me these are brilliant and personally my favorite in the looks and quality department and I do have a preference for smaller tight fitting gloves. I don't think they are suitable for guys with large hands unless you can get intouch with classics direct and get some custom made with your hand dimensions but i'd expect you to pay a premium. unfortunately I've not managed to get these on the bag but the foam does feel a little softer than other gloves but not as soft as the NS personally I wouldn't use them for sparring but i'd favour these other the Gil, its just personal preference
View attachment 882080 View attachment 882081 View attachment 882082 View attachment 882083 View attachment 882084

Haha what a great and best description on how these Mexicombate fits... "Mandingo wearing Trojan extra small"

Great review(s), thanks for taking the time to put them together. You may just have awakened an interest in Gil in me.

Anytime, to be fair I enjoyed it which is pretty weird...personally I'd go for it. Brilliant for pad and bag work and there robust. Typical mexican gloves.

Hey @Kendodsworth , great you doing these reviews, thanks for taking the time on this!

About the Casanova's I've had this similar impression on the knuckle pocket being too wide, which is the reason I stopped using this brand gloves for several years. However, 1-2 months ago I gave these gloves another chance and got a new pair of 14 oz Laces and these came with a super compact snug fit hand pocket. Actually one of the snuggest 14 oz gloves I've had. It was even after first 2 sessions, that the glove got a bit more loosen up to fit my hands comfortably.

Curious of this, I then asked Casanova workshop about this, and they told me that they had modified the hand pocket a bit smaller due to previous feedbacks they've been receiving. I haven't been able to validate this with other sizes or different closure gloves, but on my 14 oz Laces this has come much better reduced.

Not a problem brother.
I might have to look at getting another pair then haha which to be honest the 14oz would be perfect and will probably be 16oz, I weighed my 16oz and they are 18.7/18.5oz which is crazy

Last edited:
Just quick update: Next pair of gloves I purchase and do a little review for will more than likely be a pair of Boxeo hopefully next month.

I plan on getting a couple more pairs - Boxeo, Lopez, potentially Seyer and the last pair I get will more than likely be some of Juan's TM gloves and that'll be me. I've started getting rid of some of my gloves from my collection as I can't justify having 8 pairs of gloves and adding more to my collection just to do a review <Lmaoo>

Last edited:

Only just seen this interesting regarding the pocket size being smaller. Might need to consider another pair

Back