Mexican gloves various brands

Hello to all my boxing friends
I'm filling this table down based on my qualifications, trying to have a clear picture of reference to compare between different boxing brands. Simple and easy.

I would love to hear your thoughts, comments, or feedback if any of you have a different opinion. Any other attribute you think might be worth adding, brand, etc would be very much appreciated :)

View attachment 830945

Edgar
Lining softness is one thing to add.

@Edgar Martinez i would include something about the thumb either position or length or just overall comfort level.

on the wrist as well as Velcro closure also something on wrist support ie padding or structure on the inside of the wrist

The most important thing to me is feedback - which is linked to padding but a different factor.

Lining softness is one thing to add.

@Edgar Martinez i would include something about the thumb either position or length or just overall comfort level.
on the wrist as well as Velcro closure also something on wrist support ie padding or structure on the inside of the wrist

The most important thing to me is feedback - which is linked to padding but a different factor.
Thanks @Minowafanatic , with the field name "Inside Lining Quality" I was trying to refer to this. I might change it to "Inside Lining Softness" instead. Would you guys agree Medium value for all these MX brands?

Thanks @RDL81 . What I understand, is you would like to have some additional columns regarding the following?
1- Thumb position : I'm not really sure what value options could go here. Do you have any thoughts?
2- Overall Hand comfort
3- Wrist Padding :
On this one, not sure if would be in addition to "Wrist Closure Tightness"? Which appreciate could be different attributes.

Thanks @nolandvd . Would you please mind helping me having this clearer? Would "Knuckle Padding Softness" and/or "Overall Hand comfor" not cover this?

@destroyer4147 By "Colors in Leather Quality" I try to refer to how colors quality look into each glove. i.e. Metallic colors leather in Casanova, might not be as nice as New Sporting Metallic colors. I might need to rename this. Does this column even make sense?

upload_2021-2-2_10-20-54.png

Last edited:
Thanks @Minowafanatic , with the field name "Inside Lining Quality" I was trying to refer to this. I might change it to "Inside Lining Softness" instead. Would you guys agree Medium value for all these MX brands?

Thanks @RDL81 . What I understand, is you would like to have some additional columns regarding the following?
1- Thumb position : I'm not really sure what value options could go here. Do you have any thoughts?
2- Overall Hand comfort
3- Wrist Padding :
On this one, not sure if would be in addition to "Wrist Closure Tightness"? Which appreciate could be different attributes.

Thanks @nolandvd . Would you please mind helping me having this clearer? Would "Knuckle Padding Softness" and/or "Overall Hand comfor" not cover this?

@destroyer4147 By "Colors in Leather Quality" I try to refer to how colors quality look into each glove. i.e. Metallic colors leather in Casanova, might not be as nice as New Sporting Metallic colors. I might need to rename this. Does this column even make sense?

View attachment 831037
Thumb
I think some gloves have the thumb in an unnatural position or is short which makes the use of the gloves uncomfortable. I have had this in a few gloves but not many but it might be something you come accross.

wrist support
Gloves have have a very good velco but it is more the padding on the underside of the glove than when tightened provides the wrist support. If you look at Reyes Velcro it is brilliant but winning is non existent some would say this is the wrist closure but in reality it’s more the level of padding on the wrist

Thumb
I think some gloves have the thumb in an unnatural position or is short which makes the use of the gloves uncomfortable. I have had this in a few gloves but not many but it might be something you come accross.

wrist support
Gloves have have a very good velco but it is more the padding on the underside of the glove than when tightened provides the wrist support. If you look at Reyes Velcro it is brilliant but winning is non existent some would say this is the wrist closure but in reality it’s more the level of padding on the wrist

Thanks @RDL81 for the details I now get what you mean on the wrist. Which I have now split 2 columns for wrist. One for the closure tightness and other for its wrist padding.

On the Thumb, I'll wait so I can try out all the different brands within a same period and have a better understanding/ comprehension of this one.

Leather Quality" I try to refer to how colors quality look into each glove. i.e. Metallic colors leather in Casanova, might not be as nice as New Sporting Metallic colors. I might need to rename this. Does this column even make sense?

View attachment 831037

I think you could make the "colours in leather" to "colour quality" and then change the "leather" to "leather quality".

Also maybe potentially a column to say if the brand does custom work as I know casanova will do double stitch if required and for an extra few pesos.

what about seam type? Could that be put in there as I know some welted seams are a standard or is that just an unnecessary extra tab?

My opinion about New Sporting:
1. Leather - High
2. hand comfort - high
3. hand tightness - medium
4. wrist closure - low
5. wrist padding - medium
6. knuckle padding - medium soft
7. thumb position - comfortable
8. stiffnes - medium
9. Lining - soft
10. stitching - double and welted seams

View attachment 831037

Not quite, for me. Feedback is related to comfort but it's literally how much you feel it when you punch - you want to feel something - not quite pain, but if I throw a power shot, I should know from both the sound the shot makes and the way it feels how accurate & hard it was. The best gloves protect you from bruising and knuckle damage but you feel the shots at the same time - and that isn't entirely down to softness or comfort, but is a mix of those things, together with general construction.

Thank to you all who helping filling this out @nolandvd @Lotnik @Kendodsworth @RDL81 @Minowafanatic @Vols1891 - and any other I could be missing here. Special thanks to @destroyer4147 , who has given the time to provide me with much more knowledge and experience on the gloves.

I am no expert at boxing and still much to learn, working to have this table merged with all our feedback and experience, and be sure will be sharing final version after fully populated. Hoping we can have all this gathered up information in a simple and easy organized table.

Still waiting to receive some more brands so I can try them out and add my inputs into this table.

upload_2021-2-3_16-6-43.png

I'm filling this table down based on my qualifications, trying to have a clear picture of reference to compare between different boxing brands. Simple and easy.

I would love to hear your thoughts, comments, or feedback if any of you have a different opinion. Any other attribute you think might be worth adding, brand, etc would be very much appreciated :)

View attachment 830945

Edgar
Edgar, you posting this table is extremely helpful. But I do have one complaint. It’s like giving crack to a drug addict. The table caused me to get out my gloves and do my own evaluation. Here’s the crack part. I do not have all the gloves on your table and I must have them. ALL OF THEM.

Question for you Edgar: What is your overall evaluation of Andrades Lopez gloves. I found a pair and want to pull the trigger but he wants a lot for them. Are they as good as Casanova’s or Boxeo?

Edgar, you posting this table is extremely helpful. But I do have one complaint. It’s like giving crack to a drug addict. The table caused me to get out my gloves and do my own evaluation. Here’s the crack part. I do not have all the gloves on your table and I must have them. ALL OF THEM.

Question for you Edgar: What is your overall evaluation of Andrades Lopez gloves. I found a pair and want to pull the trigger but he wants a lot for them. Are they as good as Casanova’s or Boxeo?

Haha funny I've heard this "addiction" to gloves from several people, and I must admit I do also have this.

Yes, in my opinion, any of those brands in that list are well made and well known gloves - just waiting for my New Sporting and Hernandez to arrive so I can confirm them all. It will just vary each style of glove.

Lopez and Gil are basically the same school of making. I was into Lopez and Gil gloves for about 2 years of intense use and loved them both.

Just re thinking about this, a question to you all...
Is there any Mexican brand that you would say is not good or you don't like at all? Which brand is it?
Would be interesting to hear about this.

Is there any Mexican brand that you would say is not good or you don't like at all? Which brand is it?

I don't have first hand experience, but there were pages upon pages on the older Mexican gear threads that JC Pacheco was as hard as a brick, and more dangerous to your sparring partner than the cheap sporting goods store Everlasts

I’ve heard negative reviews about Solo. Also, Palomares and Seyer gloves look cheap and poor quality to me. I know these two brands, especially Seyer, have made really good gloves in the past, but I’m just talking about their modern stuff. I believe I remember Juan (aka Technoir) also telling me that Seyer had gone way down in quality in recent years.

View attachment 830945

Edgar
I have noticed that Lopez’s gloves don’t have the “Hecho En Mexico” label on them that you typically always see on Mexican-made gloves (unless they have a tag on the inside that you can’t see from pictures). Are you pretty confident that they are made in Mexico? They definitely look similar to GIL gloves, which are obviously made in Mexico. I assume Lopez are made in Mexico too; I just found it kind of interesting that they aren’t labeled as “Hecho En Mexico”.

I have noticed that Lopez’s gloves don’t have the “Hecho En Mexico” label on them that you typically always see on Mexican-made gloves (unless they have a tag on the inside that you can’t see from pictures). Are you pretty confident that they are made in Mexico? They definitely look similar to GIL gloves, which are obviously made in Mexico. I assume Lopez are made in Mexico too; I just found it kind of interesting that they aren’t labeled as “Hecho En Mexico”.

They're made in Mexico. They're related and part of the Zepol group. Lopez is the "hermanastra" of Manuel (Classics) and his brother (Zepol son). Manuel's son Jordi confirmed this

I’ve heard negative reviews about Solo. Also, Palomares and Seyer gloves look cheap and poor quality to me. I know these two brands, especially Seyer, have made really good gloves in the past, but I’m just talking about their modern stuff. I believe I remember Juan (aka Technoir) also telling me that Seyer had gone way down in quality in recent years.

Hey @Vols1891 , agree on both these brands you've mentioned. Palomares and Seyer are very massive commercialized in Mexico and are kind of low cost compared to any other brand. I've seen several beginners in the gym using Palomares Genuino, and the gloves doesn't seems to have very good quality in terms of materials. I think their basic line is actually made with synthetic leather. My boxing bags are actually from this brand, my 2ended bag is genuine leather and my boxing bag is synthetic leather. This was the simpler to find online and price accesible.

Seyer, is very interesting you mention. I've read many articles from foreign people talking about Seyer as a good brand. But in Mexico, and perhaps they may have different equipment lines, Seyer is not well known for its quality. Is the boxing articles you will find in every Walmart and price accessible. But I haven't really investigated further on this brand, which it could probably be, they may also have a higher quality line which is for the one they are well-known worldwide.

Edgar

You are right, I guess it's just something the makers haven't visualized how important are Mexican boxing brands worldwide, and they have missed to include that detail. Specifically for this Lopez brand and Boxeo, I myself had been into their workshops and met the owners [Juan Carlos Andrade for Lopez and Catalino for Boxeo], so this one I'm certain of their existence and manufacture in Mexico :).

Edgar

Hey @Vols1891 , agree on both these brands you've mentioned. Palomares and Seyer are very massive commercialized in Mexico and are kind of low cost compared to any other brand. I've seen several beginners in the gym using Palomares Genuino, and the gloves doesn't seems to have very good quality in terms of materials. I think their basic line is actually made with synthetic leather. My boxing bags are actually from this brand, my 2ended bag is genuine leather and my boxing bag is synthetic leather. This was the simpler to find online and price accesible.

Seyer, is very interesting you mention. I've read many articles from foreign people talking about Seyer as a good brand. But in Mexico, and perhaps they may have different equipment lines, Seyer is not well known for its quality. Is the boxing articles you will find in every Walmart and price accessible. But I haven't really investigated further on this brand, which it could probably be, they may also have a higher quality line which is for the one they are well-known worldwide.

Edgar
I have a pair of their training gloves in 16oz lace up. It the softest, most comfortable out of the box Mexican made glove I own. Their lining is the best among the brands I own. I am not put off by an uncomfortable Mexican glove because educated glove buyers know that usage will conform the glove to your hand. There is no other glove that will stand up to hard training the way a Mexican made glove does. Tonight at the boxing gym we did pyramid bag drills. 100 punches, then 200, then 300, then 200, then 100. I actually counted my punches and after every round, the last to still be punching had to do 50 push-ups before beginning again. So either I am very very slow or I am the only one actually counting each punch. Got down on my gloved knuckles and did the push-ups. Mexican gloves can take abuse like no other gloves. Sweat, blood, push-ups and they still look great. Here are my Seyer gloves.E7FB5CBF-D9AA-42EC-8574-DFE53900789D.jpeg

Back