Michael Jackson vs Prince

Whose music would you save?

• Total voters
Chief Justice Roberts prefers Prince. He wrote about it in a memo as a WH staffer in the 80s.

MJ was G and PG...Prince was PG-13 and R.

I grew up listening to both, but I was only able to truly comprehend the greatness of Prince when I became an adult. MJ is more known and loved around the world.

I could never choose between the two.

michael jackson is the GOAT entertainer

prince is elite but jackson is the king of pop

MJ. I think some of his songs are ok, but I could never really get into Prince.

Jackson. Outside of the soundtrack for the 1989 Batman movie I don't know any of Prince's work. When he died last year people were acting as though... well as though Michael Jackson had died -- again that is. But when everyone was making tributes to Prince last year, all I could think was "I don't know any of these songs".

Well, if you include star power, it's not even close.

If it's based on talent alone, the fact that Prince basically played all of the instruments on his first 4 or 5 albums, you'd have to go with Prince.

But if you are talking the whole package, it's MJ and it's not even close. The star power and the name recognition alone trumps everything Prince has done and then you include the overall catalogue, the dancer and all around entertainer that MJ was, it's really not fair.

Look at it objectively, break everything down into small categories and any way you slice it, once you put it all together, they are world's apart.

i guess i should have read the op before voting. when it said whose music i would save, it is obviously MJ. However, then it said to take into account their personal life and its much different. Prince was weird and by many accounts quite a douche. However, MJ was a child molester. Therefore, I would be forced to go with Prince

they are both hall of famers. but MJ would be like Babe Ruth and Prince is like Robin Yount

I think Michael has the more entertaining stuff overall but Prince is the better musician by far. That being said I would save Prince's stuff. The guy was an incredible talent that really doesn't get his due because the way he looked/acted, plus MJ was a pedo so it's hard for me to listen to his stuff without thinking I'm listening to a pedo.

If we're only talking within a limited scope of "music", then it's pretty close. If we're talking about the overall package, I'd go with Mike because he was the GOAT entertainer. I also found his personality to be more endearing. He was a weirdo, but a nice guy. Prince was a prick.

PS - It seems I accidentally voted for Prince, but Jackson is still in the lead easily...

giphy.gif

prince-afraid-of-shit.gif

Have to go with Jackson. He's the most talented entertainer of all time. He could sing, he basically invented his own unique style of dancing, he was a bigger star for a longer period of time than Prince, when he was young he actually SANG his songs while dancing, whereas these people now all lip sync. He also made music videos into epic movie-style pieces of art, with Thriller and later Smooth Criminal/Moonwalker.

Everyone keeps saying Prince was a better musician, and that may be true, but Michael was a better entertainer.

Also, this is subjective, but for my taste I never really got into Prince's music. He has a couple good songs but I actually like MJ's music better.

Taking into consideration talent, personality, star power, personal life, songs, etc.. Whose music would you personally choose to save if the world were to rid itself from the other's entirely? Why?

Michael-Jackson.jpg

screen-shot-2016-04-22-at-10-47-58-am.png

Both produced some iconic classics, but Michael produced more.

That's really difficult. Prince was the better artist overall, his musicianship is pretty staggering, whereas MJ relied on outside producers and songwriters for some of his hits. MJ was the better entertainer though, his dancing/music videos and distinctive vocals are hard to beat.

I think Prince put on a better concert. If you watch any of Prince's live shows you get a different set list every time, his concerts had more of a party vibe. With MJ, it's a one and done. That being said, this was the hype video played before the start of his Dangerous shows:

His show was epic and I'm always gonna be mad that I couldn't attend one.

It comes down to preference. MJ's life turned from a blinding success like no one has seen since to outright tragedy, those last 5 years were really bad for his reputation. With Prince I can't help but respect a dude who looked suspect as hell yet was slaying a menagerie of hot women like it was nothing. He ended up becoming old hat by the early 90s though, his biggest mistake was disbanding The Revolution which weakened his output tremendously.

If we look at it hit for hit though:
Michael Jackson:
Best of Jackson 5
Off The Wall
Thriller
Bad
Dangerous​

Prince:
Dirty Mind
Purple Rain
Parade
Sign 'O' The Times

I refuse to vote.

Have to go with Jackson. He's the most talented entertainer of all time. He could sing, he basically invented his own unique style of dancing, he was a bigger star for a longer period of time than Prince, when he was young he actually SANG his songs while dancing, whereas these people now all lip sync. He also made music videos into epic movie-style pieces of art, with Thriller and later Smooth Criminal/Moonwalker.

Everyone keeps saying Prince was a better musician, and that may be true, but Michael was a better entertainer.

Also, this is subjective, but for my taste I never really got into Prince's music. He has a couple good songs but I actually like MJ's music better.

There was a old white guy involved in a lot of the choreography. Like for the Thriller vid was not choreographed by MJ. I think it was a white guy.

Back