Microsoft acquires Zenimax Entertainment for $7.5 billion

When did Microsoft control the console market?
The Xbox 360 was the better selling console throughout most of its generation. They became complacent, and the PS3 only caught up after the prices had crashed, Blu-Ray won, and people began to buy their units as one of the cheapest available Blu-Ray players on the market (at a loss to Sony who was selling them under the BoM).

That’s the same idiotic mentality that had morons celebrating the Disney purchase of Fox “duuuh now we can get the X-Men in the MCU duurr!” without any consideration of the wider implications on less competition in the industry and Disney controlling all of Fox’s IPs, and no consideration for the thousands of fox employees that lost their jobs due to redundancy as happens in ever large corporate take over.

lol you expect me to worry about people losing jobs and Disney controlling all of Fox's IP? Who worries about that kind of stuff? Fox was horrible with the x-men brand who cares they don't deserve to have it.

lol you expect me to worry about people losing jobs and Disney controlling all of Fox's IP? Who worries about that kind of stuff? Fox was horrible with the x-men brand who cares they don't deserve to have it.
Hey, now. They were great for two films. X-2 remains one of the best comic book films ever made, and at the time it was made, it was the greatest ever. It set a new benchmark for the genre.

It was when they refused to wait for Bryan Singer by sliding in Brett Ratner (hot at the time thanks to the Rush Hour movies) that they screwed the pooch irrecoverably.

I’m a childish moron who can’t think of anyone but myself and I only want instant gratification. I don’t care about other people’s livelihoods or healthy competition in the movie industry. I just want mindless pre-packaged Disney MCU schlock because I’m a man-child, Disney shill.

Ftfy

Hey, now. They were great for two films. X-2 remains one of the best comic book films ever made, and at the time it was made, it was the greatest ever. It set a new benchmark for the genre.

It was when they refused to wait for Bryan Singer by sliding in Brett Ratner (hot at the time thanks to the Rush Hour movies) that they screwed the pooch irrecoverably.

Don't get me wrong they did have a hit or 2. X2 with Wolverine in the house taking out the swat team is still one of the GOAT scenes in a super hero movie. I also really enjoyed First class. To many misses for me though.

And there it is. This had nothing to do with caring about peoples jobs you simply hate Marvel and don't want them making anymore super hero movies.

Don't get me wrong they did have a hit or 2. X2 with Wolverine in the house taking out the swat team is still one of the GOAT scenes in a super hero movie. I also really enjoyed First class. To many misses for me though.

And there it is. This had nothing to do with caring about peoples jobs you simply hate Marvel and don't want them making anymore super hero movies.

On the contrary I love the MCU and think that by and large they’re well made, fun movies, with a particular fondness for Infinity War, Civil War, Winter Soldier, Endgame, Ragnarok and Iron Man 1.

My last response was rather mean spirited and exaggerated, and I’ll take this opportunity to apologize to you for it because I know you’re a good poster. However, the point I was making was that there’s a lot more ramifications behind Disney buying Fox completely rather than just coming to some deal over Fox’s Marvel IPs than just getting to see the X-men in the MCU. After Fox’s missteps with Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix I was among those saying that I’d rather see Feige et al taking a crack at the x-men IP, but seeing Disney takeover Fox is not something to be happy about, because Disney is not infallible (see the Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker and Solo for example) so I don’t trust them with Fox’s other IPs and as someone with friends in Hollywood less competition means fewer opportunities, and as a general movie goer less competition means less creativity. Disney is a colossus and I don’t want to see the movie industry come down to just three or four players.

As for MS buying Bethesda I think history speaks for itself that when development studios get bought up by bigger players it’s not a good thing. Look at all the studies bought and killed by EA. Look at what’s happened to Bioware. Look at Bungie under Activision etc etc. My point is that competition is good, monopolies are bad.

On the contrary I love the MCU and think that by and large they’re well made, fun movies, with a particular fondness for Infinity War, Civil War, Winter Soldier, Endgame, Ragnarok and Iron Man 1.

My last response was rather mean spirited and exaggerated, and I’ll take this opportunity to apologize to you for it because I know you’re a good poster. However, the point I was making was that there’s a lot more ramifications behind Disney buying Fox completely rather than just coming to some deal over Fox’s Marvel IPs than just getting to see the X-men in the MCU. After Fox’s missteps with Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix I was among those saying that I’d rather see Feige et al taking a crack at the x-men IP, but seeing Disney takeover Fox is not something to be happy about, because Disney is not infallible (see the Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker and Solo for example) so I don’t trust them with Fox’s other IPs and as someone with friends in Hollywood less competition means fewer opportunities, and as a general movie goer less competition means less creativity. Disney is a colossus and I don’t want to see the movie industry come down to just three or four players.

As for MS buying Bethesda I think history speaks for itself that when development studios get bought up by bigger players it’s not a good thing. Look at all the studies bought and killed by EA. Look at what’s happened to Bioware. Look at Bungie under Activision etc etc. My point is that competition is good, monopolies are bad.
Yeah the short term gratifications of these huge mergers can quickly turn sour if not handled right. Sweet, tons of games coming to Game Pass and new games on there day one. Would that be worth sacrificing the future quality of those titles? I have very little faith in this working out for consumers in the long term if Microsoft doesn’t allow for these studios to continue to do their own thing.

They’re saying all the right things so far, hopefully this is a rare case where it does work out. Their talk about acquiring even more studios is worrisome.

Ok I get what your saying. For the X-men\Marvel situation I disagree simply because I want to see the X-men in the MCU with the Avengers and the only way to do that is to have them all under one brand. Having a situation like Spiderman\MCU and Hulk\MCU just leads to problems and I'd rather not deal with that.

As far as Bethesda I get it but I really can't blame MS here. They literally went the whole X1 not doing shit. I don't think they even had one must play game on that console. I think I even read reports that they considered just getting rid of it. They needed to make a big move like this. Whether they will end up destroying Besthesda or not who knows. I hope not and I hope MS has learned to not be so controlling with these studios and give them some freedom but only time will tell. Hopefully gamepass will give them the freedom to realize that not every game has to be a hit and it's about providing variety to the user base.

Starfield Scheduled for Late 2021 Launch, Barring COVID-Related Delays – Rumour (gamingbolt.com)

Starfield is easily one of the most highly anticipated upcoming releases, which is surprising given the fact that we’ve seen nothing of the game other than a logo. The promise of a sci-fi open world RPG developed by Bethesda is an alluring one though, and there’s been more than a few questions about when exactly we’ll see it, and then get to play it. It seems both of those things will be happening relatively soon.

GamesBeat journalist Jeff Grubb recently said during a Dealer Gaming stream that the plan for Bethesda is to follow a marketing and launch cycle for Starfield similar to that of Fallout 4. According to Grubb, there’s a 90% likelihood that the game’s going to be unveiled in full at E3, and then will launch later in the year itself. He says that that’s what Bethesda has planned right now, barring any COVID-related delays and hurdles, of course.

Other insiders have also recently suggested that launching Starfield in late 2021 is part of Bethesda’s plan, with COVID being the only potential complication.

Whenever it does launch, it’ll be interesting to see how Microsoft handles its exclusivity. Director Todd Howard has said that it would be “hard to imagine” Starfield releasing as an Xbox console exclusive, though Microsoft’s recent statements about wanting to provide exclusive content for Game Pass might contradict that.

EPrn7_GU4AIjPmu.jpg

if true

I started Fallout 76 right before the FPS boost hit. Fallout has always had pretty sluggish combat, but hot damn did the FPS boost do wonders. It's like playing a different game. I can actually hit fast moving targets now outside of VATS. It still doesn't compare to like Borderlands that's an FPS with RPG elements, where fallout is more RPG with FPS elements, but the boost is a HUGE upgrade.

Fox handled a lot of franchises poorly. I dont like seeing giant corporations like Disney and M$ gobbling up more ip's, but Zenimax was consumer cancer and Fox was dropping the ball.

With Phil Spencer at the helm, I think he and his overlords rescued Bethesda from impending doom. M$ is making all the right moves imo.

Disney can fuck right off, but I'm glad more Marvel characters are with Fiege and co now. I'm also happy to hear that they will be doing R-rated films too.

<mma4>

Microsoft really going for it, huh?

<mma4>

Microsoft really going for it, huh?
At a pretty severe deficite already so I guess they have to. Bronze medalist in sales yet again and Sony is basically releasing an exclusive a month now.

Good for Series X users to be able to validate their purchase in a couple of years though.

Last edited:
At a pretty severe detriment already so I guess they have to. Bronze medalist in sales yet again and Sony is basically releasing an exclusive a month now.

Good for Series X users to be able to validate their purchase in a couple of years though.
d5a1054d9f87e586bd4cf70d3ad74f15.gif

Back