Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Remember the old issued glasses?
Back in the late 1980s we had these in the U.S. Army. We used to call them 'birth control' glasses:
ca_I_eyeglasses_2317_16051327_1024x.jpg

* You got them with the NBC mask inserts.

Last edited:
We had an E4 as a training DI when I was there. Remember that E4 is an NCO rank in the sea services though and not automatic like the sham shield.
Yeah, we have E-4 Corporals in the U.S. Army like the U.S. Marines. Usually in the Infantry. I don't see how an E-4 can be a DI. Too young and very little experience.

Yeah, we have E-4 Corporals in the U.S. Army like the U.S. Marines. Usually in the Infantry. I don't see how an E-4 can be a DI. Too young and very little experience.
Nah, it's not uncommon in the infantry to have a Cpl as a squad leader.
Also, I'm pretty sure this dude picked up Sgt upon graduating DI school. I said he was a trainee, not DI.

Nah, it's not uncommon in the infantry to have a Cpl as a squad leader. Also, I'm pretty sure this dude picked up Sgt upon graduating DI school. I said he was a trainee, not DI.
We are not talking Squad Leaders in an Infantry Platoon, we are talking DIs in basic training. How many trainees would that make? What exactly does a 'trainee' DI Corporal in the USMC do anyway? I'm sure he is not just standing around 'watching' stuff happen. Drill Instructors and Drill Sergeants should really be E-7s. Older, more mature, and more experienced. That is the first thing a trainee is going to see and work with as he enters the USMC or the U.S. Army.
-

Last edited:
We are not talking Squad Leaders in an Infantry Platoon, we are talking DIs in basic training. How many trainees would that make? What exactly does a 'trainee' DI Corporal in the USMC do anyway? I'm sure he is not just standing around 'watching' stuff happen. Drill Instructors and Drill Sergeants should really be E-7s. Older, more mature, and more experienced. That is the first thing a trainee is going to see and work with as he enters the USMC or the U.S. Army.
full-metal-jacket-movie-still.jpg

-

The trainees are DI school students who spend a couple of weeks embedded in platoons with the regular DIs.
You won't ever see an E7 DI. They'd go straight to being a series GySgt.
And fuck Mattis.

The trainees are DI school students who spend a couple of weeks embedded in platoons with the regular DIs.
You won't ever see an E7 DI. They'd go straight to being a series GySgt.
And fuck Mattis.

In 2019 that is incorrect there are a couple of DI GySgts working under SSgt Seniors .

Hell the Class Commnader from the last class was a GySgt he was assigned to 4 hat team with a SSgt Senior , he has already tapped after 2 weeks though.

A GySgt (E-7) working under a SSgt (E-6)?

Apparently. The Senior Billet trumps the Rank. They can't throw a 1st Tour GySgt DI into a Chief Slot if They don't know the job, to include getting certain quals and also the RTO( Recruit Training Order) to a T.

Also it's not like there are an abundance of Senior DI GySgts , maybe a couple per Battallion. So a GySgt working for a SSgt Senior DI will happen.

Apparently. The Senior Billet trumps the Rank. They can't throw a 1st Tour GySgt DI into a Chief Slot if They don't know the job, to include getting certain quals and also the RTO( Recruit Training Order) to a T.
Also it's not like there are an abundance of Senior DI GySgts , maybe a couple per Battallion. So a GySgt working for a SSgt Senior DI will happen.
Interesting.
Well, Marines do use GySgts (E-7) to train Officer Candidates at OCS and pilots at U.S. Navy Flight School.

Interesting.
Well, Marines do use GySgts (E-7) to train Officer Candidates at OCS and pilots at U.S. Navy Flight School.

Every Drill Instructor at OCS is at the very least a 2nd Tour Drill Instructor some very close to being selected to MSGT or 1st Sgt .

I'm going to assume that DIs aren't allowed to refer to recruits as :eek::eek::eek:s anymore.

I'm going to assume that DIs aren't allowed to refer to recruits as :eek::eek::eek:s anymore.

Kids are snitches and do their research before they even get to Parris Island and sometimes recruiters also reiterate what DIs can get away with . It's not worth me getting RFC'd (Relieved for cause) and flushing my career down the drain jist because I call the kid whatever derogatory, they are recruits to I'll make that as condescending as I can. I actually have good curse control since I've had to do EO bull shit in my previous billet.

seems like the navy was more brown.

s-l300.jpg
Yep, that's what we were still getting in 2003, complete with the "brain strap." Everyone gets the smaller black glasses now.

Well we got slayed today. First was a circuit at the DI playground. Then showered and came back for a roughly 2 hour Close Order Drill session in Black Flag. 1st The Drill Master and his team marched us like recruits and essentially showed us how to make corrections demanding on us. Then the Different DI teams went , when my turn came I got to run around like a mad man making corrections then also got to March the Platoon. It was a break off. Little over halfway through the course now.

Well we got slayed today. First was a circuit at the DI playground. Then showered and came back for a roughly 2 hour Close Order Drill session in Black Flag. 1st The Drill Master and his team marched us like recruits and essentially showed us how to make corrections demanding on us. Then the Different DI teams went , when my turn came I got to run around like a mad man making corrections then also got to March the Platoon. It was a break off. Little over halfway through the course now.

In BLACK FLAG!?!?!?

HNNNNNNNHGGGGGGHHHH! :confused:

In BLACK FLAG!?!?!?

HNNNNNNNHGGGGGGHHHH! :confused:
Couple of people cramped up . I'm a heavy sweater so I take my hydration seriously. Pedialyte , bananas , cucumbers, apples on top of the gallon of water I drink throughout the day.

Back