Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

...another female winner:
"British officer becomes first woman to pass grueling entry test for elite Army unit"
Story: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/19/british-officer-becomes-first-woman-to-pass-p-company-army-test.html

One of eight requirements:
. “Milling” which is similar to boxing where soldiers partake in one minute of “controlled physical aggression” against an opponent. Points are deducted for blocking or dodging punches.
106398280-1582127106547rosiewild.jpg

75th year anniversary of the Start of the Battle of Iwo Jima. Was today. Pretty neat to be a Drill Instructor trying to add what I can to the Corps.

Man these kids piss me off , but I can see the ones that really care.

75th year anniversary of the Start of the Battle of Iwo Jima. Was today. Pretty neat to be a Drill Instructor trying to add what I can to the Corps.

Man these kids piss me off , but I can see the ones that really care.

Hang in there brother. The ones that care will do well and the ones that don't will get weeded out. They usually are.

Unfortunately, the ones who don't care still get pushed through.

randomly popped up in my youtube recommendations so will post here

1st Full Crucible and Eagle , Globe and Anchor ceremony done a few days ago , was quite the experience to see the emotion on their faces as I handed them their EGAs . Crazy to look back and see how much a lot of them have changed. The Cycle is almost over and I'm humbled by the whole thing , it's a beast for sure but I know I'm not the only one out there , trying to push through at certain times , I see the people from my class putting in the work out there and that gives me that little extra boost . I'm also grateful for my own DIs , because I understand the time period they went through was probably a bit more wild west. Overall I'm still grateful to be in the Corps serving in this capacity.

@Mike Hagger, as a sniper, what is your opinion on this rifle? Is it any good or a 'piece of shit'? I still think that the fewer parts to the rifle the better. I also prefer the rifle to be made out of wood. The rifle can be chambered in 7.62X51 mm NATO, .300 Norma Magnum, and .338 Norma Magnum. (?)

"Here is the sniper rifle that the US Army, Marines, and the Special Operators all want to get their hands on"
Story: https://www.businessinsider.com/army-marines-and-special-operators-all-want-this-sniper-rifle-2020-2

The Barrett Multi-Role Adaptive Design (MRAD) bolt-action rifle:
5e554630fee23d02975621c8

The M110 semiautomatic (?) sniper system:
5d5c30d6cd978427a92d9982

@Mike Hagger, as a sniper, what is your opinion on this rifle? Is it any good or a 'piece of shit'? I still think that the fewer parts to the rifle the better. I also prefer the rifle to be made out of wood. The rifle can be chambered in 7.62X51 mm NATO, .300 Norma Magnum, and .338 Norma Magnum. (?)

"Here is the sniper rifle that the US Army, Marines, and the Special Operators all want to get their hands on"
Story: https://www.businessinsider.com/army-marines-and-special-operators-all-want-this-sniper-rifle-2020-2

The Barrett Multi-Role Adaptive Design (MRAD) bolt-action rifle:
5e554630fee23d02975621c8

The M110 semiautomatic (?) sniper system:
5d5c30d6cd978427a92d9982
The 110 is at its core a designated marksmen rifle it’s accuracy and the ability of 308 is definitely debatable. I would not hesitate to say it’s 700m and in gun, considering it’s subsonic at sea level around 750.

The MRAD looks good on paper. 308 is really just a training round because it’s plentiful and easy for units to shoot on typical ranges, minding the safe distance it can be used. 300norma is absolutely an improvement over 300wm, it has a better ballistic coefficient and is moving supersonic over 1100m while still maintaining efficiency from wind deflection. Great round, will mostly be used down range due to the expense of the rounds and ranges not supporting the distance it can travel.

338norma is an attempt to replace the .50, the m107 system. Anti material really. Doubt it gets used much due to cost per round, but it’s a great bullet for extreme long range engagements.

This is a big step up and I’ve seen the rifle, as long as the maintenance plan holds true and Barrett is able to spit out well machined rifles, this is a really good thing. All joe has to do is swap barrels and he’s off and running that’s a tricky process and companies like Accuracy International are well known for interchangeably in their barrels.. Barrett has no reputation so we’ll see how accurate and durable they are.

Last edited:
All joe has to do is swap barrels and he’s off and running that’s a tricky process.
Well, that doesn't sound good. How many barrels does a sniper have to carry? Never heard of this process before. Not sure how wet, windy, cold, and hot conditions would affect that...

Well, that doesn't sound good. How many barrels does a sniper have to carry? Never heard of this process before. Not sure how wet, windy, cold, and hot conditions would affect that...
They’re not going to switch barrels in the field, it’s something you would do pre mission. Before I deployed I would gather my shifts barrel to barrel and muzzle velocity then if I wanted to or needed to I could throw a different barrel on. However I would absolutely reconfirm my zero.

You’re not going on a mission with multiple barrels for a long gun.

They’re not going to switch barrels in the field, it’s something you would do pre mission. Before I deployed I would gather my shifts barrel to barrel and muzzle velocity then if I wanted to or needed to I could throw a different barrel on. However I would absolutely reconfirm my zero.
Ok, that explains it. I was just going to mention the 'zero' issue and accuracy with the changing of barrels, but you covered that. On a machine gun (M-60) it would not really matter, and it has to be changed depending on the number of rounds fired. Don't know if you have ever seen one of those barrels glowing hot at night. Also, a semiautomatic sniper rifle (above picture)? The M110 semiautomatic sniper system. How can a semiautomatic sniper rifle be as accurate as a bolt action rifle? I thought the fewer parts to a rifle, the more accurate it would become. I have not really been keeping up with sniper rifle technology. A friend of mine was telling me that a 'suppressor' makes it for a more accurate weapon. I thought it would slow the bullet down and affect accuracy at long ranges. Not my area of expertise.

You’re not going on a mission with multiple barrels for a long gun.
Well, still does not make much sense to me. What is the advantage? What kind of barrels?
Changing barrels on a rifle or having different rifles with multiple calibers. I would rather just have 3 rifles that are 'zeroed' to my satisfaction. 3 different calibers per rifle correct? Is there a choice of bullet weight?

* I have a Weatherby 30-06 bolt action rifle. Remington made bullets from 55 to 220 grain. You could hunt rabbits and bear with the same caliber, but I never did shoot those animals. Never had the heart. Purely target practice...
Weatherby-Mark-V.jpg

Last edited:
.338 vs .300:
IMG_0934.jpg

30-06 bullet variation:
30-06_001.jpg

Last edited:
I’m saying different barrels = different calibers. You have one gun box with 3 caliber choices. All you have to do is swap barrels, and bolt faces. I like setup, I like the calibers. To me it’s something I wish we’d had years ago. Well 308 will be the 175smks no doubt, 300nm, I think 215gr bergers, and I think 250gr for 338nm.

Over the years I’m sure more bullets will come out. Just like 308 was 168 then we went to 175s.

300wm is good no doubt but this could be better.

The 110 is older that rifle came online like 10 years ago. No it’s not as accurate as a bolt gun, but sometimes it’s nice to have a 20 rd mag and not have to work a bolt. Just my opinion though, it’s good to have options. I’ve seen plenty of ar10s that group sub minute but inherently bolt guns are better for precision and accuracy. There’s a reason no one shots gas guns at precision rifle comps, some do I guess, but no one who is competitive I’ve seen.

Suppressors at least what the Army has, they increase the speed of the bullet by compressing the gas behind the bullet, typically it’s 20fps faster. Accuracy can be effected depending on some factors but often accuracy is better as the shooter anticipates less due to reduced noise and recoil.

Last edited:
@Mike Hagger

Got me confused with the 'sniper jargon':
. Different barrels = Different calibers.
. Gas guns = Semiautomatic rifles.
You have to 'dial it down' for the rest of the 'grunts' to understand...

* 250 grain bullet for the .338? That is interesting. I thought that would make it slow and short distance.

@Mike Hagger

Got me confused with the 'sniper jargon':
. Different barrels = Different calibers.
. Gas guns = Semiautomatic rifles.
You have to 'dial it down' for the rest of the 'grunts' to understand...

* 250 grain bullet for the .338? That is interesting. I thought that would make it slow and short distance.
The mrad has 3 different barrels, 308, 300nm, and 338nm. Changing out barrels changes the guns caliber.
Yeah gas gun are semi automatic like the M110 sniper weapon or the AR15 ect.

250 is bigger and slower, that’s true but it’s very efficient and like a freight train once it’s going it’s going to go far. Think about how far a .50 bullet travels (fired from an M2) that round is ~650gr. Of course there’s a ton of gun powder behind the bullet, 338 is similar.

Back