Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Why do people feel the need to exaggerate how hard boot camp was? I went through in 03 and the most I saw was some pushing and shoving from DIs (but nothing that would knock you over or anything). This dude went through in 2012 and claims his DIs beat the shit out of him and his fellow recruits daily. "Well it was years before the dryer incident and the Muslim recruit killing himself so they could literally do whatever they wanted to us!"

Why do people feel the need to exaggerate how hard boot camp was? I went through in 03 and the most I saw was some pushing and shoving from DIs (but nothing that would knock you over or anything). This dude went through in 2012 and claims his DIs beat the shit out of him and his fellow recruits daily. "Well it was years before the dryer incident and the Muslim recruit killing himself so they could literally do whatever they wanted to us!"
Conjuring up events to make that VA disability claim

Because everything was harder/better when I did it.

Honestly in the 2010s to right up to 2016. Some absolutely abhorrent shit was going on in Parris Island. Now that I have this funny hat I've seen some of the investigative reports and even heard from people that were witnesses to trials when they were 1st Tours and are now 2nd Tours, Parris Island was lawless in pockets , that's why when that kid jumped off of 3rd Deck in 2016 there was a huge overhaul and systematic culture change here, and quite frankly it was for the Better , Hats were doing less stupid shit and also were not allowing themselves to get Punked or Hazed by shitty leaders which also meant they didn't take it out on the recruits.

Honestly in the 2010s to right up to 2016. Some absolutely abhorrent shit was going on in Parris Island. Now that I have this funny hat I've seen some of the investigative reports and even heard from people that were witnesses to trials when they were 1st Tours and are now 2nd Tours, Parris Island was lawless in pockets , that's why when that kid jumped off of 3rd Deck in 2016 there was a huge overhaul and systematic culture change here, and quite frankly it was for the Better , Hats were doing less stupid shit and also were not allowing themselves to get Punked or Hazed by shitty leaders which also meant they didn't take it out on the recruits.

On a few CG FB pages I'm a part of theres always the "Old Guard" guys who butt in and talk shit about "this wasn't how it was in my day" (over half of them were one tour guys, but I digress) but it's fun to remind them how "their Guard" was the reason for most of the "PC training" we get today because of some of the bullshit they perpetuated that even I cringe at.

For example:
Zero tolerance for anything resembling hazing now is because fuckers then thought shoving an object up someone's ass was ok and just fun when welcoming a new guy to the ship...

Rose colored glasses on most of those guys.

There is revision that happens but there’s also some truth to thing being harder. I know the overall standards have changed at the infantry school. I also understand recruits are less physically fit than previous times. They’re more sensitive and that trait is catered to.

I only get this from a few friends who did time as drills. I haven’t really seen a line unit in a long time. From the Q course perspective, the standards have moved but they’re not necessarily easier. But from what it seems candidates get more chances to pass and are harder to drop. I’ve heard of guys recycling 3 or more times. How many chances does one deserve? It’s not enlisted making that decision - the GOs say if a guy can pass selection than he can pass the Q course if he fails the instructors obviously fucked that up. Which is absolutely wrong. Selection does a good job picking out who will do well but it’s not perfect. Nor does it test the grind of the long q course and the small unit leadership that is required. I’ve seen a lot of people that could land nav but couldn’t lead a patrol worth a damn.

Last edited:
There is revision that happens but there’s also some truth to thing being harder. I know the overall standards have changed at the infantry school. I also understand recruits are less physically fit than previous times. They’re more sensitive and that trait is catered to.

I only get this from a few friends who did time as drills. I haven’t really seen a line unit in a long time. From the Q course perspective, the standards have moved but they’re not necessarily easier. But from what it seems candidates get more chances to pass and are harder to drop. I’ve heard of guys recycling 3 or more times. How many chances does one deserve? It’s not enlisted making that decision - the GOs say if a guy can pass selection than he can pass the Q course if he fails the instructors obviously fucked that up. Which is absolutely wrong. Selection does a good job picking out who will do well but it’s not perfect. Nor does it test the grind of the long q course and the small unit leadership that is required. I’ve seen a lot of people that could land nav but couldn’t lead a patrol worth a damn.
Yeah, Infantry OSUT is 22 weeks now instead of 14. SOI is moving from 8 to 14 as well. Although it still sounds like a joke (the longest hump is only about 12 miles and at a 3-4 mile pace just like when I did it in 03).

Remember the dude last year who was in comm school and made the video about "killing Chinese" because of Covid? He was allowed to stay in.

That's insane. WOWWWW...

Okay it looks like the dude who threatened to kill Chinese people was kicked out after all. I looked him up on MOL and no result came up.

Okay it looks like the dude who threatened to kill Chinese people was kicked out after all. I looked him up on MOL and no result came up.

Good riddance and off to XE with him.

I doubt they'll have him though.

maxresdefault.jpg

Glock has extended their blue label program to honorably discharged vets year-round now.

So, stupid question as a civilian as a friend just rotated back and I can't understand why he went where he did....

He rotated back from a base in Germany (not sure which one but he's in the Army) because he's changing MOS from like Air Traffic Controller or something similar to a combat support MOS (I think). Would you RATHER rotate to Fort Lewis, Fort Hood, or like Fort Bragg?

He went to Hood (I think by choice).... Growing up in WA I was always under the impression that Lewis is good if you're in the right MOS but overall a lot of people weren't huge fans of it's location if you were living on base.

Back