Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

So, stupid question as a civilian as a friend just rotated back and I can't understand why he went where he did....

He rotated back from a base in Germany (not sure which one but he's in the Army) because he's changing MOS from like Air Traffic Controller or something similar to a combat support MOS (I think). Would you RATHER rotate to Fort Lewis, Fort Hood, or like Fort Bragg?

He went to Hood (I think by choice).... Growing up in WA I was always under the impression that Lewis is good if you're in the right MOS but overall a lot of people weren't huge fans of it's location if you were living on base.
I think I’d take Lewis. Hood is weird and Bragg is home of the 82nd cult. RIP to your friend.

I think I’d take Lewis. Hood is weird and Bragg is home of the 82nd cult. RIP to your friend.
See, being an outsider I would have suggested the Home of the 82nd cult for the opportunities like Jump School.

See, being an outsider I would have suggested the Home of the 82nd cult for the opportunities like Jump School.
Eh, that’s only 3 weeks. Plus it’s a PITA staying qualified. And you don’t need to be in an airborne unit to go there anyhow.

So, stupid question as a civilian as a friend just rotated back and I can't understand why he went where he did....

He rotated back from a base in Germany (not sure which one but he's in the Army) because he's changing MOS from like Air Traffic Controller or something similar to a combat support MOS (I think). Would you RATHER rotate to Fort Lewis, Fort Hood, or like Fort Bragg?

He went to Hood (I think by choice).... Growing up in WA I was always under the impression that Lewis is good if you're in the right MOS but overall a lot of people weren't huge fans of it's location if you were living on base.

Jesus he should have gone to Lewis

Interesting bit of history not every knows the details to. Billy Waugh an SF guy during Vietnam later a contractor for the CIA. Pitched an opportunity to kill Bin Laden in the early 90s but his plan was rejected. He would later go into Afghanistan in 2001 to resume hunting him. I have heard him speak several times and his life is literally a movie waiting to happen. Here’s a small run down of what happened in the early 90s:

CIA contractor Billy Waugh, who is conducting surveillance against Osama bin Laden in Khartoum, Sudan (see February 1991- July 1992), drafts a plan to assassinate bin Laden. Waugh will later say that the plan, one of “hundreds” of such proposals he prepares for the CIA, is drafted as a natural part of the surveillance and “isn’t anything special,” but is just written “in case someone decided that was the necessary course of action.” The plan is to kill bin Laden while he is traveling, because that is when his security is worst. One CIA car would follow bin Laden on one of his regular trips out of town, another would approach bin Laden’s car from the opposite direction and ram into it. The driver of the trailing car would then get out and shoot bin Laden. Given the poor quality of the Sudanese security services, Waugh thinks it would be simple to evade capture after the shooting. However, the plan is not approved because of restrictions on assassinations at the CIA and because of a lack of specific intelligence tying bin Laden to terrorism at this point.

Billy also had the first ever halo jump into combat which he also did 4 more of in Vietnam. It’s a shame he’s not even mentioned at the airborne museum in Fayetteville...

Why do people feel the need to exaggerate how hard boot camp was? I went through in 03 and the most I saw was some pushing and shoving from DIs (but nothing that would knock you over or anything). This dude went through in 2012 and claims his DIs beat the shit out of him and his fellow recruits daily. "Well it was years before the dryer incident and the Muslim recruit killing himself so they could literally do whatever they wanted to us!"
People who don’t know what it’s like to suffer will cling on for dear life to anything they feel will give them credibility. Boot Camp is also the hardest thing a lot of people will ever do in their career/life.

tenor.gif

People who don’t know what it’s like to suffer will cling on for dear life to anything they feel will give them credibility. Boot Camp is also the hardest thing a lot of people will ever do in their career/life.

tenor.gif

Boot was the easiest time in my career.

Having to plan, think and react without being told was much more challenging.

The Kid that shot himself in the face , may have been getting hazed by other recruits. They possibly threatened to kill him if he snitched on them. 9 of those "New Marines" made it to the Crucible and were caught hazing kids during the Marine weeks . They are now on a legal hold . Some heinous shit was going on

The Kid that shot himself in the face , may have been getting hazed by other recruits. They possibly threatened to kill him if he snitched on them. 9 of those "New Marines" made it to the Crucible and were caught hazing kids during the Marine weeks . They are now on a legal hold . Some heinous shit was going on
What kind of hazing?
It should be common sense not to fuck with your fellow recruits because they can easily retaliate when they’re on fire watch and you’re asleep.

What kind of hazing?
It should be common sense not to fuck with your fellow recruits because they can easily retaliate when they’re on fire watch and you’re asleep.
Apparently they did this shit in fucking dead hours like 23-0200 or some shit. Buf.its weird because that would be the times where a hat should be setting his alarms on to catch this Mfers slipping.

Apparently they did this shit in fucking dead hours like 23-0200 or some shit. Buf.its weird because that would be the times where a hat should be setting his alarms on to catch this Mfers slipping.
Aren’t y’all sleeping in the duty hut though between fire watch knocking on the door and saying what time it is at the top of every hour?

Aren’t y’all sleeping in the duty hut though between fire watch knocking on the door and saying what time it is at the top of every hour?

I know I was. Can't say the same for other companies.

Sean Matson is a former Navy SEAL, and he’s attempting to break a world record on April 3rd. A quick update from Sean Matson, a VeteranCrowd Network Partner. Less than a month from today Sean will be strapping on an EOD bomb suit to set the 1 mile world record. This is a fundraiser to support Headstrong Project. That is an 85 pound suit. Sean will be running alongside a female from the U.S. Army who is also trying to set a record. Here's the link to grab a t-shirt: https://www.militarymuscleinc.com/.../military-families...

158053306_1424606444604852_3728402336800149989_o.jpg

Last edited:
From the Q course perspective, the standards have moved but they’re not necessarily easier. But from what it seems candidates get more chances to pass and are harder to drop. I’ve heard of guys recycling 3 or more times. How many chances does one deserve? It’s not enlisted making that decision - the GOs say if a guy can pass selection than he can pass the Q course if he fails the instructors obviously fucked that up. Which is absolutely wrong.
Mike, have you heard anything similar regarding Ranger school? They have had a large number of females graduating from the course - Active Duty. None were 11 series. A waste of time, money, and slots. There are so many Infantry Army National Guard guys that would love to go to Ranger school but can't get the slot or funding for it. When will a finance or medical female officer with a Ranger tab be conducting a patrol, ambush, or call for fire mission after graduation from Ranger school? Never.

Mike, have you heard anything similar regarding Ranger school? They have had a large number of females graduating from the course - Active Duty. None were 11 series. A waste of time, money, and slots. There are so many Infantry Army National Guard guys that would love to go to Ranger school but can't get the slot or funding for it. When will a finance or medical female officer with a Ranger tab be conducting a patrol, ambush, or call for fire mission after graduation from Ranger school? Never.
I dunno man, Ranger school lost its mystic that for sure, I mean a 42 year old LTCOL female medical officer passed. Honestly I’m seriously not being a dick, but there’s just no way a female like that passes when I went.

Maybe I’m a revisionist but something has to have changed. I’m too disconnected at this point though to know anything. I see CPTs with Ranger Tabs now and give them shit cause I wore BDUs and rucked to mountain phase.

Things have changed. I kind of hope we’re fighting with drones and robots because we’re good at that.

I dunno man, Ranger school lost its mystic that for sure, I mean a 42 year old LTCOL female medical officer passed. Honestly I’m seriously not being a dick, but there’s just no way a female like that passes when I went.

Maybe I’m a revisionist but something has to have changed. I’m too disconnected at this point though to know anything. I see CPTs with Ranger Tabs now and give them shit cause I wore BDUs and rucked to mountain phase.

Things have changed. I kind of hope we’re fighting with drones and robots because we’re good at that.

The Military in general has become this Land Mine of PC bullshit. I can't tell a boot they're fucked up in the way they should hear it because they might get all in their feelings and put forth accusations on me, Never mind that I've been doing this for 16 years and have done my time some fucking Pussy ass kid files a complaint that puts my career in Jeopardy while the little leach gets off Scott free.

Last edited:
Back