Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Stuart Scheller's book " Crisis of Command " is getting some really good reviews from a lot of the best Mentors I've ever had. Probably not going to make the Commandants reading list , lol but going to give it a go.

Stuart Scheller's book "Crisis of Command" is getting some really good reviews from a lot of the best Mentors I've ever had.
Military life is hard, the system is flawed, and leaders don't care. So there, I just saved you $20 bucks!

'While I appreciate Stu's passion and wish the best for him, I can now only think of him as someone who abandoned a battalion of mostly young Marines to make a point that had nothing to do with his job or the oath he swore to uphold. However, I also appreciate his honesty, and that he proudly declares a long history of standing up for things.'

'The fact that so many people have given this book positive reviews clearly illustrates the deep civil-military divide we have in this country. Do you honestly believe everyone senior to Stu Scheller is a fraud, a traitor, or a coward? Can you make those points in a way that is more convincing and nuanced than a short Facebook video or an internet post? If you try, be careful not to make those points in a book that so liberally uses words like "would've," "should've," and "could've" smashed between limping chess metaphors and proclamations of how much of a badass you are.'

'For some reason, Stu extends his outrage to every other leader in the military senior to him. He further indicts every peer and junior Marine who didn't leap to his defense. He names many names with abandon, calling numerous other Marines immoral and spineless as if he is the foremost authority on all moral judgments.'

'The book is a hollow attempt by the author to justify his professional self-immolation. His actions were a resignation of his responsibility as a leader, harmed public discourse, damaged civil-military relations, and set a poor example to Marines. The rationale presented by the book is disingenuous. Current and future military leaders, as well as those outside the military hoping to understand this event and what it means for our country, are discouraged from reading this book as it will serve only to mislead and offer poor leadership lessons.'

Military life is hard, the system is flawed, and leaders don't care. So there, I just saved you $20 bucks!

'While I appreciate Stu's passion and wish the best for him, I can now only think of him as someone who abandoned a battalion of mostly young Marines to make a point that had nothing to do with his job or the oath he swore to uphold. However, I also appreciate his honesty, and that he proudly declares a long history of standing up for things.'

'The fact that so many people have given this book positive reviews clearly illustrates the deep civil-military divide we have in this country. Do you honestly believe everyone senior to Stu Scheller is a fraud, a traitor, or a coward? Can you make those points in a way that is more convincing and nuanced than a short Facebook video or an internet post? If you try, be careful not to make those points in a book that so liberally uses words like "would've," "should've," and "could've" smashed between limping chess metaphors and proclamations of how much of a badass you are.'

'For some reason, Stu extends his outrage to every other leader in the military senior to him. He further indicts every peer and junior Marine who didn't leap to his defense. He names many names with abandon, calling numerous other Marines immoral and spineless as if he is the foremost authority on all moral judgments.'

'The book is a hollow attempt by the author to justify his professional self-immolation. His actions were a resignation of his responsibility as a leader, harmed public discourse, damaged civil-military relations, and set a poor example to Marines. The rationale presented by the book is disingenuous. Current and future military leaders, as well as those outside the military hoping to understand this event and what it means for our country, are discouraged from reading this book as it will serve only to mislead and offer poor leadership lessons.'
So you're more qualified than an infantry officer that saw combat in both Iraq and Afghanistan ? I'm going to read it and make my own judgment.

So you're more qualified than an infantry officer that saw combat in both Iraq and Afghanistan? I'm going to read it and make my own judgment.
What difference does having combat experience in Iraq and Afghanistan make? This is a leadership issue, not a combat experience issue. Read the book and let me know what you think. Stuart Scheller went about this the wrong way, both on Facebook and his book.

You definitely don't do this:

Stu started out well but he went full conspiracy theory

OIP.A8jyEdyRXChI_sppBcNEkAHaEK

Happy Birthday to the USAF!

Does anyone else still get those stupid "millennium cohort" things?

How maintenance heavy were Harriers? My boy was in Comm Squadron 28 and I loved seeing those things land vertically.
Our AVI mechs were always busy, but I assume the comms were no more labor intensive than most jets.
I was airframes and hydraulics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back